m0unds

EIS IPv6 firewall issue

Hi,

Is there some trick to getting IPv6 working reliably with EIS installed? At each and every reboot, I lose IPv6 connectivity until I bounce my network adapter (disable/enable) or disable/enable the firewall within EIS itself, and it's driving me nuts.

I've attempted to add rules permitting ICMPv6 messages and RA traffic, and I'm still not having any luck. The machine is behind a router that is announcing a /64 prefix pared off of a /56 assiged by my ISP. Disabling IPv6 protocol support is not an option for me, as I need it for work. 

Thanks,

Chris

Product version is 9.0.0.4668 on Windows 8.1 Pro x64

We released a new version yesterday. Can you reproduce the problem with the new version?

I performed a clean install of the new build. Immediately received a BSOD implicating the emsisoft NDIS driver. Rebooted and BSODed again at the login screen. Repeated until I removed EIS in safe mode. I'll upload the minidumps if you'd like.

The BSODs are unique to the new build.

Quick update: We found and fixed the cause of the problem. It only affects specific systems and network configurations that are actively using IPv6. An update is already available. The setups have already been rebuild to include the update. So if you uninstalled already I suggest you download a new setup to have the fix included.

Sorry for the inconvenience this particular issue may have caused.

Quick update: We found and fixed the cause of the problem. It only affects specific systems and network configurations that are actively using IPv6. An update is already available. The setups have already been rebuild to include the update. So if you uninstalled already I suggest you download a new setup to have the fix included.

Sorry for the inconvenience this particular issue may have caused.

Does this new update revert whatever change you guys made to the firewall module that might address IPv6 support, or should I go ahead and test it to see if it resolves the initial issue I reported?

@Fabian thanks for the info. I can confirm IPv6 on my system is working fine at boot, and I really hope it keeps working as I'd actually like to use the time on my license.

I had upgraded my internet security pack license to EIS because I hadn't used OA or EAM in nearly a year due to performance issues and OA driving me nuts (not properly trusting signed MSFT processes, horrible CPU utilization with certain apps causing the firewall to stop passing traffic completely, etc.) and then ran into performance issues with the initial release of EIS, only to try it again and find out IPv6 support isn't working right, then the fix for that causes BSoDs. I appreciate how quickly that was resolved, but I'm surprised it wasn't caught in testing.

I appreciate how quickly that was resolved, but I'm surprised it wasn't caught in testing.

We usually test our products in a test network and those tests do include IPv6 connections. The problem in this particular case is that not every IPv6 connection triggers the problem. It happens when parsing packets from or to specific IPv6 sub nets. We extended our test network already to include a wider variety of IPv6 sub nets to prevent similar issues in the future.

I am glad the current version with the patch is performing properly for you now though :).