hjlbx

Firewall - No Connect Detect/Rules - WWAHost.exe, SettingSyncHost.exe

Hello,

I wish to determine if EIS' firewall should be detecting and then alerting when both WWAHost.exe and SettingsSyncHost.exe connect to the internet.

WWAHost.exe is a part of Windows 8/8.1 Metro Apps.

SettingSyncHost.exe syncs host settings between OneDrive and other hosts connected to a specified network. 

Both executables make initial network connections very early during system startup and then afterwards intermittently.

Other security software I have used detects connections by both, alerts and permits creation of firewall rules.

Up to this point, EIS 9 has not alerted to any connections by either exe.  Is this by design since, I believe, both are integrated with livecomm.exe?

Thanks,

hjlbx

PS - I know the whole livecomm.exe, SkyDrive.exe, RuntimeBroker.exe, WWAHost.exe, SettingSyncHost.exe part of W8/8.1 is a programmatic mess.

Upon opening a bunch of Metro Apps WWAHost.exe makes connections to the internet - and then it appears in Application Rules as Allowed.

Sure at some point it will be a similar situation with SettingSyncHost.exe.

Although, I am curious as to why EIS does not detect the very early connections made by both during system startup.

If I had to make a guess I would say it is has something to do with the port status.

Thanks,

hjlbx

It would be nice if I enabled Sync Settings on my system - wouldn't it.

Turned on and SettingsSyncHost.exe is now in Application Rules as Allowed.

Apologies due for this one,

hjlbx

In general during boot EIS will simply block all connection attempts for applications and packets it does not have rules for yet. We don't queue them up like some other firewalls do and just display notifications for them once the boot process is over and the GUI is available, simply because there is no right way to do it without eventually triggering timeouts.

That being said, given your additional updates it appears to me that everything is working on your system now as you expect it to work, so this topic can be closed?