tempnexus

Is this product dead? It has not received a core update since 2013.

I love Online Armor and I can't use the Internet Security so it would be a sad day if this product goes poof.  My lic will expire in 62 days.

Why I like Online Armor?

Well I find the new solution that Emsisoft is pushing as too dumb...rather, it's been dumbed down too much.  I love the Online Armor Firewall Status.

I like seeing what programs are connecting, to where, how and how much data is being piped.

Real life story:

I was testing the new Emsisoft all in one v9 solution as a probable replacement for OA.  So here I am happy as a seaman in a gay bar and lo and behold I see 45 gig download a day on my UTM box.  The traffic is: Unclassified/Uncategorized.

SO I start hunting down what the hell is pulling soo much data.  I pin point it to the PC running the V9 (not V9 fault, just a weird coalescence of events).  I check the Windows Networking I see that it's maxing out data download.  So I am trying to pinpoint what is downloading soo much data.  I fire up the Windows Task Manager, I go to networking and nada, no program is showing data download of that magnitude. So I go to V9 trying to see what is being dowloaded, but can't find the granularity of Firewall Status, can't tell which program is downloading what and how much.  

SO I remove V9 and reinstall OA, fire up Online Armor and I see the bandwidth is being chewed up by Windows Update Service....somehow it got stuck in a loop and it was performing continual downloads non-stop.

Without the OA I would have been forced to re-image the box thinking that it's been hit by a trojan.

P.S.

I pinpointed the WIndows update issue as a corrupted update...removed the corruption....windows update updated fine and the data bandwidth was back to normal.

We are currently evaluating the Online Armor sales and user numbers since the EIS release. There is no definitive decision that I could share at the moment., but expect an announcement (positive or negative) soon.

I like seeing what programs are connecting, to where, how and how much data is being piped.

While it isn't a direct feature request, I have forwarded it to the EIS development team for consideration. Usually these screens are kind of unreliable and OA's screen doesn't show all connections either. There are a lot of third party tools that do the same like TCPView. But it shouldn't be too hard to add as we have all the connection information in EIS anyways and I see how users may find the view useful.

Hello,

As good a product as Online Armor is I think it would be unfortunate if it went away.  However, if sales are not profitable then discontinuing it is completely understandable.

Perhaps OA could be integrated into EIS as an "Advanced User" option that could be purchased and activated separately. Only then would the OA functionality be available.  Although the only practical way I can see HIPS working  in EIS is to disable the Behavior Blocker if one purchases the OA module... otherwise there would be double alerts - both BB and HIPS alerts.

To be honest, I would rather see the best of OA's non-HIPS features integrated into EIS and to have the BB alerts to be as detailed as the OA HIPS alerts.  In this way EIS will be very well balanced...offering the greater simplicity of the Behavior Blocker functionality as compared to classical HIPS, while at the same time providing the user with equivalent information, and therefore greater awareness, at any BB alerts.

At the same time the argument can be made that this may make the alerts too complex for the typical user.  Simple solution...allow option to turn off/hide advanced details in BB alerts.

Thanks,

hjlbx

I also tried EIS and didn't like it. I definitely missed the firewall status window, the ability to block countries, etc.

If EIS included what we're used to and not removed so much, it could have been an easier transition.

About letting sales be the deciding factor, all the sales pages are unfairly obscuring  the "Internet Security Pack" where we could bundle OA and OAM together, rather getting confused as EIS, so I don't know how anyone could

purchase OA and EAM, if I cant even find it myself after quite a while looking.

Where is the "Internet Security Pack" ? if it was still offered the "sales" of it could be more fairly evaluated, no one wants to pay the individual price for both.

EISP is not available any more.

Instead they offer EIS.

But, since EAM and OA are still there, you can combine them as before and have EISP.

I also tried EIS and didn't like it. I definitely missed the firewall status window, the ability to block countries, etc.

I also like the status window a lot. No other firewall I know of offers one that informs the user what country an IP is originating from in real time.

• Upvote 1

EISP is not available any more.

Instead they offer EIS.

But, since EAM and OA are still there, you can combine them as before and have EISP.

I am going to try to do that. I didn't like EIS. I felt blind with my favorite features stripped out.

To be honest, I would rather see the best of OA's non-HIPS features integrated into EIS and to have the BB alerts to be as detailed as the OA HIPS alerts. In this way EIS will be very well balanced...offering the greater simplicity of the Behavior Blocker functionality as compared to classical HIPS, while at the same time providing the user with equivalent information, and therefore greater awareness, at any BB alerts.

Our goal is to make alerts go away until there eventually are no alerts left and EAM/EIS is able to fully protect you without your intervention. So we focus our attention on reducing alerts, not adding additional and extended alerts.

If EIS included what we're used to and not removed so much, it could have been an easier transition.

Geo IP location doesn't work with CDNs which most websites use these days. We are considering adding a connection status screen back. No promises though.

Where is the "Internet Security Pack" ? if it was still offered the "sales" of it could be more fairly evaluated, no one wants to pay the individual price for both.

EISP has been discontinued with the release of EIS. There is no point in competing with ourselves.

Fabian Wosar, on 19 Jan 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Our goal is to make alerts go away until there eventually are no alerts left and EAM/EIS is able to fully protect you without your intervention. So we focus our attention on reducing alerts, not adding additional and extended alerts.

Hello Fabian,

What??  If there are no alerts then I won't have anything to do...!!

More seriously, no alerts with 100 % protection - now that's the prize.  ;)

hjlbx

Guest Tempus

Our goal is to make alerts go away until there eventually are no alerts left and EAM/EIS is able to fully protect you without your intervention.

So in the future releases of Emsisoft anti malware / security we can expect to see no notifications from the behaviour blocker, where it demands some user interaction. I can understand your overall development strategy, not saying that I necessarily agree with you. I know it is not a big loss, but it will probably be the day where I will shift security vendor. But until that day happen, I will enjoy and keep Emsisoft on my systems. I know that I probably do not represent your targeted audience, (and it's okay) but I truly like the fine tuned balance that your product has obtained, still leaving some control for the user.

Tempus, on 19 Jan 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:Tempus, on 19 Jan 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

So in the future releases of Emsisoft anti malware / security we can expect to see no notifications from the behaviour blocker, where it demands some user interaction. I can understand your overall development strategy, not saying that I necessarily agree with you. I know it is not a big loss, but it will probably be the day where I will shift security vendor. But until that day happen, I will enjoy and keep Emsisoft on my systems. I know that I probably do not represent your targeted audience, (and it's okay) but I truly like the fine tuned balance that your product has obtained, still leaving some control for the user.

Hello Tempus,

Really??

If Emsisoft developed their products to the point where they protected your system absolutely without any need for your interaction, then why would you want anything else?  100 % protection without user interaction is the "Holy Grail" for all AV vendors.

I think you like AV's "toy" factor...something to mess about with and occupy your time.

If you want alerts then try Malware Defender.  You can configure it such that you'll never do anything but respond to alerts during the entire lifespan of your system.

Don't get bent out of shape...I'm just joking around.  :P

hjlbx

For which apps you get alerts? I got only few of them, mainly for less known, unsigned software that updates often.

Can you export the log and share it so Emsi can whitelist them?

For which apps you get alerts? I got only few of them, mainly for less known, unsigned software that updates often.

Can you export the log and share it so Emsi can whitelist them?

Hello Siketa,

I have gotten BB alerts for IE11.  I reported it here on the forum, but Emsi staff are already aware of it.

Although I am using mostly Custom rule sets. 

If I do not adjust the rule settings and simply use the Allow  rule  - with continued monitoring -  from AMN then there are only alerts for unrecognized apps.

BB is highly sensitive to any settings changes.

You confirm this ??

Thanks,

hjlbx

PS - Vote on the poll I posted on EIS thread...Thanks!

Hmmm.  I'm also an EAM + OA user, and don't like the idea of using a product with fewer alerts.  I like alerts - specifically I know which of the things I normally do generate alerts and by seeing these continue to appear I have increased confidence that unexpected processes would also generate alerts. 

If alerts cease, then I suppose I'd want to be sure that at least all the things that might previously have generated alerts would be logged in sufficient detail that one could always see what decisions had been made and why.

Hi all!

The product is not dead! long live Online Armor!

I'm a fan of this app and he is willing to pay for the Premium version!

I hope that Emsisoft will hear our voices and will not leave without attention.

I just can't imagine my computer without Online Armor! :blink:

It is really 100% control of the system. Can't be that such a program was abandoned... :unsure:

I like alerts - specifically I know which of the things I normally do generate alerts and by seeing these continue to appear I have increased confidence that unexpected processes would also generate alerts. 

Except that technically these alerts are false positives.

Fabian, I suppose I can see what you mean, but I don't quite agree that they are /false/ positives.  They are properly telling me that some app or other is trying to do something.   If some actions on my part triggered that attempt then maybe I didn't need to be told it, but the thing that's being described DID still happen. 

But if some other combination of events triggered them, then I certainly want to know that they are being tried.  I do not see how OA can know which combination of events (or what I was thinking when I did something) represents a genuine use of something which need not be alerted.

I think I misunderstood. I thought you liked and was therefore referring to the alerts in EAM. OA surely can't know and isn't supposed to know. Every alert EAM displays for a file that is not malicious is a false positive though.

Another vote for OA. Don't mind alerts. it tells me something is going on. Even the ones that just say it has installed new signatures.

Those are notifications, not alerts. Alerts are popups that will interrupt you and won't let you continue to do whatever you are doing until you made a decision.

While I understand that some of you would like to see Online Armor being continued, please understand it's not really up to a vote. So there is no point in resurrecting old topics over and over again. We still haven't made a final decision yet and are still evaluating several options. We will let you know about the future Online Armor road map as soon as we settled on one.

Since the original question has been answered already, I will close the thread for now.