GreekMags

Question about File Changed Update Rule

Often when one of my programs updates I get a message from EIS asking me if I want to Update the Rule related to the program.

Generally this is not a problem because I am 'manually' updating the program, but I am looking at a piece of software (chocolatey) that can automate this process, in which case I would run a command to update several selected programs at once. I don't want to do this for all my programs, just those that always seem to have an update waiting when I open them.

However I can see a problem with this if the IES Update Rule message triggers for some of the programs, as this will stall the process.

Is there a way that I can set EIS to ensure this doesn't happen?

I have looked in the Application Rules and I am pretty sure that some of the programs that regularly generate this message have 'Don't alert when this file changes' UNticked (though I would need to check this on their next update to be sure).

Thank you

Hello GreekMags,

You got it.  Select "Don't alert when this file changes" for each application that you expect to be regularly updated.  This should disable the File Guard alerts.

I verified this sort of thing...just to ensure it works on my system as I have run into an almost identical scenario on my system.

Best Regards,

hjlbx

As hjlbx already pointed out, the "Don't alert when this file changes" option in your application rules is the way to go. We are also considering a few additional changes to the system in the future to make your life easier. One thing we are considering is to automatically re-classify applications through the cloud and our white lists if the rule in place was an automatically generated rule put in place by either of these systems to begin with. There is no ETA for these updates yet though.

One thing we are considering is to automatically re-classify applications through the cloud and our white lists if the rule in place was an automatically generated rule put in place by either of these systems to begin with.

Hello Fabian,

"Reclassify applications" - Does that mean Update the existing rule?

Thanks,

hjlbx

Currently if the application has been cleared by the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network a rule is created to allow it. The problem is, if the file changes you will get an alert. In the future if the rule was created by the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network and the file was changed, the Emsisoft Anti-Malware Network will be queried again. If the new file is cleared as well, the rule will be updated automatically. If not, you get the "Program has been updated" dialog. You will also always get the "Program has been updated" dialog if the rule was created manually or if you manually edited an automatically created rule, as we see both actions as indication that you want to override the automatically created rule. At least that is the current idea that we are considering. We may end up going a completely different route.

Thank you hjlbx and Fabian for your answers.

I have to admit I was seeing the 'Don't alert when updated' box UNTICKED in certain entries and my brain was assuming this meant I WOULD NOT be alerted rather than the opposite, and I had to think it through a couple of times to get it straight in my head :blush:  :blush:.

And if I understand correctly, at present, even if EIS rates a program as 'Safe' I will get alerts each time it is updated UNLESS I have checked the 'Don't alert when updated' box myself - but you are looking at ways of changing this to an automatic procedure.

And if I understand correctly, at present, even if EIS rates a program as 'Safe' I will get alerts each time it is updated UNLESS I have checked the 'Don't alert when updated' box myself - but you are looking at ways of changing this to an automatic procedure.

Pretty much that, yes :).