scorpion

Does EIS has any issues with ReturnilSystemSafe & Sandboxie?

I am using win7 64 bit and want to know if Emsisoft Internet Security has any issues with Returnil System Safe & Sandboxie. The other thing i am concerned is can i continue to use windows firewall after installing EIS. Does EIS has any issues other than VB. Please clear my doubts on these aspects, so that i am comfortable before installing EIS on my system. Thankyou in advance.

EIS works fine with Sandboxie.  It also works fine with Shadowdefender, so I see no reason it won't work with Returnil products.  Only minor thing is if you reboot out of Returnil the signature will update.   As to continuing to use Windows firewall, bad idea to ever use two firewalls.

Pete

Thankyou for the information. Is it possible to disable the firewall and continue with the windows firewall. If the signature update occurs during the reboot out of Returnil, the system will freeze and it is not a minor thing. Can you please explain this a bit more. Thankyou in advance.

HI Scorpion

I don't know on the firewall issue.  I'd wait for the support guys on that.   On the returnil thing, I can see that happening.  I currently use ShadowDefender on occastion, and I don't know what would happen.  One solution depending on how long you are in Returnils "shadow" configuration, might be when you go there turn off updates.  Once you boot out  it will reset.  The other option is leave it on, do your work, and then turn it off prior to reboot.

I've never seen the issue with Shadow Defender, but I don't  know if that was by design or chance.

Pete                                   

Hi Scorpion

One thing as I think about it.  A bit  ago I did try disabling the EIS firewall, and Installing OA.  I don't remember any details, other than it wasn't a happy combo.  Candidly I don't see what windows firewall gains you over EIS firewall.

Pete

I am using win7 64 bit and want to know if Emsisoft Internet Security has any issues with Returnil System Safe & Sandboxie. The other thing i am concerned is can i continue to use windows firewall after installing EIS. Does EIS has any issues other than VB. Please clear my doubts on these aspects, so that i am comfortable before installing EIS on my system. Thankyou in advance.

Hello scorpion,

I just want to point out that Returnil has an AV component that may or may not cause conflicts with EAM/EIS.  It is called Virus Guard...an antivirus and anti-spyware scanner.  If it gives you any trouble you can disable it from what I know.

My suggestion is to fully evaluate the 30 day trial-ware version on your system before making a commitment.  In particular assess the AV/AS scanner-EIS interaction as well as how your system behaves in an extended virtual session. 

If you have a low-end system like mine (AMD A8 6410), then you may experience some quirky app behavior in an extended virtual session using Returnil.  I can tell you that when using Shadow Defender it can occur...especially when the Disk Space used by SD > 2 GB.  From what I have learned the issue has much more to do with virtualization rather than the app itself.

Other than that I cannot tell you much about Returnil as I have never used it.  I do not use it specifically because of the scanner.

Hi Scorpion

One thing as I think about it.  A bit  ago I did try disabling the EIS firewall, and Installing OA.  I don't remember any details, other than it wasn't a happy combo.  Candidly I don't see what windows firewall gains you over EIS firewall.

Pete

Hello Peter,

What troubling me is not the windows firewall or the EIS firewall, i am using some tools in combination with windows firewall which have protected me for so long without causing me any trouble. Now, if i opt for EIS firewall, i have to forego all those tools and totally depend on EIS firewall.

scorpion

Hello scorpion,

I just want to point out that Returnil has an AV component that may or may not cause conflicts with EAM/EIS.  It is called Virus Guard...an antivirus and anti-spyware scanner.  If it gives you any trouble you can disable it from what I know.

My suggestion is to fully evaluate the 30 day trial-ware version on your system before making a commitment.  In particular assess the AV/AS scanner-EIS interaction as well as how your system behaves in an extended virtual session. 

If you have a low-end system like mine (AMD A8 6410), then you may experience some quirky app behavior in an extended virtual session using Returnil.  I can tell you that when using Shadow Defender it can occur...especially when the Disk Space used by SD > 2 GB.  From what I have learned the issue has much more to do with virtualization rather than the app itself.

Other than that I cannot tell you much about Returnil as I have never used it.  I do not use it specifically because of the scanner.

Hello hjlbx,

In Returnil you can opt out of the AV-Virus Guard, which is a good thing to do. I never used Virus Guard and it is not at all good. Now the problem is, i need to decide whether to install EIS or not as i have a time limit to use the Key to EIS, which is a gift. 

You are absolutely right on the Dish Space problems in virtualization......

scorpion

Hello Peter,

What troubling me is not the windows firewall or the EIS firewall, i am using some tools in combination with windows firewall which have protected me for so long without causing me any trouble. Now, if i opt for EIS firewall, i have to forego all those tools and totally depend on EIS firewall.

scorpion

Hi Scorpion

Have you considered EAM and your firewall?

Pete

Well you have basically two choices.  Use EIS and forgo all the windows stuff, or PM one of the support staff and see if they will switch your key to EAM.

Pete

Well you have basically two choices.  Use EIS and forgo all the windows stuff, or PM one of the support staff and see if they will switch your key to EAM.

Pete

Hello Peter,

I think you are absolutely right & only 2 options are visible and the 2nd option seems to be the right one. Thankyou for your help.

scorpion

Hello scorpion,

If you so choose, the EIS firewall can be set to Ask...which will monitor any connections until the first Firewall alert.  Here is how it works:

1.  Set Firewall rule set to Ask for IN, OUT or both IN/OUT

2.  When there is a connection attempt a Firewall alert will appear

3.  What action you take within the Firewall alert will create an Autorule to allow or block that  specific type connection (protocol/port/etc) or all connections in the

future

Currently, there is no mechanism for a permanent Ask rule set to enable continuous monitoring of connections. 

This is not as big a deal as it seems.  If I suspect an app I currently set it to Ask.  When the Firewall alert appears I then block that specific connection.  I make note of the IP address and perform a WhoIs lookup along with some other queries.  If the lookup and queries turn up bad, I then terminate the process and Quarantine it.  If the query turns out to be OK, then I change the firewall rule from block to allow.

Admittedly, if the app attempts connections on different ports I have to do the above steps for each connection type.  However, it is debatable that it would be better if Emsi made the process more user friendly by various means, but I think for the typical user what is already there is adequate.  For advanced users not so much in my opinion.

You can permanently block connections for an app either from within the Firewall alert  - which will create a block Autorule - or by manually modifying the firewall rule sets at any time.  If you wish to re-enable connections it can be done easily within the application rules.

All of the above is based upon my own experience using EIS.  There is a high degree of user flexibility permitted within the rule sets.  If you really want to zero-in on a specific application and monitor it, then it can be done although it may involve some manual adjustment and re-adjustment of the firewall Autorules.

I know you are struggling on making a choice between EIS and EAM.

It seems to me that you really do not want to change your current firewall and supplemental utilities as they have worked so well for you over a long period of time.  In that case, I would be hesitant to change as well.  There is an advantage to the EIS firewall in that it supports IPv6.  You can test your connection for IPv6 functionality at www.IPv6-test.com

As far as I have seen on the forum Emsi is very accommodating when it comes to switching licenses.

You really should send a Private Message (PM) to support staff.

I would like the support staff to help me in this regard.

We don't provide license support via the forum as it requires you to share personal information with us so we can locate your license. Doing that in a public forum would be a really bad idea. I suggest you send us an email to [email protected] instead. Make sure to include you current EIS license key. I am certain a license conversion can be arranged.