hjlbx

Question - How to Handle Installers?

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding installers:

1.  If the installer is from a trusted vendor and digitally signed, but the payload is not digitally signed,

then this prompts an AMN query correct?

2.  If the installer is not from a trusted vendor and digitally unsigned there is an AMN query, correct?

3.  At a Behavioral Alert is it not best to "Allow Once" so as not to create an unnecessary Application

Rule set for the installer?

"Allow Always" creates an Application Rule set whereas "Allow Once" does not, correct?

Thanks.

Hi hjlbx

I think you are making things unnecessarily complicated for yourself.  I don't use the opinion of others (AMN) to make decisions for me nor do I rely on certificates.  If I trust the vendor, and EIS doesn't alert when I download, I just go ahead and install it..  On some free stuff I might watch for certain exe's trying to install such as anything open candy, 

If I don't trust the vendor or know him, I have to ask why I am installing, and my try it in a VM first.

Pete

1.  If the installer is from a trusted vendor and digitally signed, but the payload is not digitally signed,

then this prompts an AMN query correct?

Not for the installer, no. Only for the payloads the installer may execute and only if the payload is not trusted. Also keep in mind that we don't trust every digital signature blindly and a file doesn't have to be digitally signed to be trusted automatically.

2.  If the installer is not from a trusted vendor and digitally unsigned there is an AMN query, correct?

Not necessarily.

3.  At a Behavioral Alert is it not best to "Allow Once" so as not to create an unnecessary Application

Rule set for the installer?

"Allow Always" creates an Application Rule set whereas "Allow Once" does not, correct?

Doesn't matter much to be honest. Installers are often removed after installation and so are the rules associated with them as we automatically remove rules for applications that no longer exist.