MarkD

Recurring prompt for 'This program has changed'

Hi

Recently I have seen an alert appear time and time again for two programs.

One is a game that runs via Steam and the second is an Nvidia display driver/GeForce Experience component.

Whenever I launch the game I see: Warning. This program has been changed. The dialog presents me with the option to update the rule or to remove it. The same warning for the Nvidia file appears every time I close iTunes.

I have tried removing the rule and updating it but this warning returns every single time. It is not intermittent.

I have the Steam folder added to the whitelist. I have manually removed the rule for the game in the hope that EIS will recreate the rule and then behave itself. But - I am not certain this is the rule referred to.

I am running Windows 8.1 on an i7 quad (8 cores) with 16GB RAM. The system partition which EIS and Nvidia is installed on is a SSD, but Steam is installed on a SATA disk.

Let me know if you would like any further information.

Can anyone help me identify what is happening, please?

Thanks

Hi

Whenever I launch the game I see: Warning. This program has been changed. The dialog presents me with the option to update the rule or to remove it. The same warning for the Nvidia file appears every time I close iTunes.

On these points I suggest that you wait for an Emsi Staff member to offer feedback.

Obviously something is being written to those files, but as to the specific details I do not know.

Hi

I have tried removing the rule and updating it but this warning returns every single time. It is not intermittent.

When a file is frequently updated or changed, there is an option to disable the "This file has changed"

alerts.

On the Protection tab, under Application Rules, open the file's rule and then select (click inside box and check mark will appear):

"Do not alert when this file changes."

You can avoid continual alerts by enabling this feature.

Hi

I have the Steam folder added to the whitelist. I have manually removed the rule for the game in the hope that EIS will recreate the rule and then behave itself. But - I am not certain this is the rule referred to.

Thanks

Simply adding the Steam Folder to the Whitelist excludes the folder from the scanner, File Guard, and Behavior Blocker by default; it does not disable any "This file has changed" alerts.

Simply deleting the existing Steam Application Rule will not work since the new rule set uses the same default setting - which is to alert when the file changes; you must enable "Do not alert when this file changes " within the file's Application Rule.

Hi

I am running Windows 8.1 on an i7 quad (8 cores) with 16GB RAM. The system partition which EIS and Nvidia is installed on is a SSD, but Steam is installed on a SATA disk.

Nice system, but as far as I know where the applications are stored on your system should have no bearing on the issue you have reported.

Thanks for the response.

The problem is that the file is not being updated. Steam notifies you when an update is required. I can start the game and receive the prompts - there are three of them, play the game, close it, start it again immediately and the prompts appear again. I've been using EMSISoft's product for many years and am familiar with this. Usually, update rule works, but not in this case.

Thanks for the response.

The problem is that the file is not being updated. Steam notifies you when an update is required. I can start the game and receive the prompts - there are three of them, play the game, close it, start it again immediately and the prompts appear again. I've been using EMSISoft's product for many years and am familiar with this. Usually, update rule works, but not in this case.

Hello MarkD,

From reading your initial post I thought the only issue was multiple "This file has changed" alerts.

Just to make sure I understand:  

You launch Steam and receive an update notice.  

You allow the Steam update and afterwards EIS then generates a "This file has changed" alert.

At the alert you have tried both "Update Rule" and "Remove Rule."

You then exit and re-open Steam, whereupon it generates another update prompt.

Is this correct?

I think this issue would be best answered by Fabian Wosar.  If I am not mistaken he is a Steam fan.

Hi

I sorted this out by manually defining a rule for both of the files that the alerts were being displayed for.

To clarify:

I open Steam and the game is listed and is ready to play. No updates have been downloaded and applied. I run the game and three alerts appear for the game's exe one after the other. So, I click Update rule and the alert closes then opens again etc etc etc. I had tried clicking Update Rule each time and had also tried clicking Remove rule each time they were displayed.

I play the game, then quit. If I immediately start the game again the same alert was displayed three times in succession. It was doing this every single time for the last three weeks or so..

Now that I have manually defined a rule and told it not to alert when the file is updated it has stopped.

It was very strange. I've been playing the game for a long time (142 hrs total so far) and these alerts never used to be displayed.

How were your steam rules set.   All of mine have everything allowed and I don't see this.  Steam does something that isn't considered the best practice.  Instead of write temp data to alternate locations, it writes back into the Program Files(x86) folder.

Pete

There is currently a bug in EAM/EIS that can cause this behavior. You can prevent the message from being displayed by enabling the "Don't alert when this file changes" as hjblx already explained.