gricardo21

CLOSED Not all ports are stealthed

hi i am having the same question, when making an online test onli 5-7 ports are stealhed and the rest are only closed. most of the firewalls use to stealth all the ports... besides even tho i set up emsi to be in a private network... other pc are able to read my host name and identify my pc... also for them they are able to reach my pc.... (when making ping to other ports) with other firewalls my pc is not even recognized and the results for all ports is stealhed.... this happens no matter which network i use... i usually go online in my campus and my house

When tested i was connected to a cable modem ... i set up my router to dont answer any ping replies from outside... but when connected directly to the modem it is another story.. not all port are stealthed.

Hello,

please establish the cable modem connection again. Then press the Windows key + R. Type in cmd and press OK. Type in the command

ipconfig /all   

and press Enter/Return.

Copy & Paste the output and send me the result via PM (personal message).

Yes, I have the same issue and still owe Christian a copy of my ispconfig/all

I found this reply in my thread from Forum Regular very helpful in making that file:

"I hope this link from Tech Support will supplement Christian Peters post and help you : How to run an ipconfig /all command?     =)"

The issue of the value of stealthed vs, blocked ports remains controversial with apparently good arguments on both sides.

There are some interesting threads on the DSL Reports Forums in which the subject has been vigorously debated.

The consensus appears to be that if you  are a home user a merely blocked port is ok, the main "dagner" being from some script-kiddie attempting to plant part of a bot-net on your PC. On the other hand for an office environment where there may be some high value targets, stealthed ports seem to be the preferred choice of many who have expressed an opinion on the issue..

Some of the toughest consumer, non,end-point firewalls avaiable do not stealth ports. (LOL:  I guess if your firewall is tough - who cares  :-)

Yes, I have the same issue and still owe Christian a copy of my ispconfig/all

I found this reply in my thread from Forum Regular very helpful in making that file:

"I hope this link from Tech Support will supplement Christian Peters post and help you : How to run an ipconfig /all command?     =)"

The issue of the value of stealthed vs, blocked ports remains controversial with apparently good arguments on both sides.

There are some interesting threads on the DSL Reports Forums in which the subject has been vigorously debated.

The consensus appears to be that if you  are a home user a merely blocked port is ok, the main "dagner" being from some script-kiddie attempting to plant part of a bot-net on your PC. On the other hand for an office environment where there may be some high value targets, stealthed ports seem to be the preferred choice of many who have expressed an opinion on the issue..

Some of the toughest consumer, non,end-point firewalls avaiable do not stealth ports. (LOL:  I guess if your firewall is tough - who cares  :-)

thanks for your reply, i know how to handle ipconfig commands thanks anyway. about stealth question most of the firewall that i have tested they stealth all port based on the profile you use, while some of them stealh ports when they detect a ping attack, in a industrial enviroment it is another story.. however they use strong rules to watch the traffic that comes and goes within (not in the case of EIS). And well for me all firewall must stealth ports that is what even microsoft buit in firewall does (when set to public), i use to go and come from public and privates connections... my campus is an example... if i were a user that always is connected at home i wouldnt care because i set up my router to refuse any ping replies. Today when i did the step requested by christian one port was open.... 

Edited by gricardo21

Keep in mind that unless you provide the information Christian asked for, we will be unable to assist you further. If you already provided it via PM or email, please let me know so I can close this topic.