HAWKI

Suggested PUPs Update

Last week got two PUPs - a Browser/Search Engine Hijacker in Fire Fox named Tapika and Pc Cleaner.

Oops, forgot to mention I had another security suite installed when the PUPs entered my system-never again :-) I unistalled that suite,  which makes no pretense about blocking or detecting PUPs, with it's removal tool and reinstalled EMIS 9.

A Smart scan with EMSI did not detct any part of those PUPs. I have PUP detection enabled with PUPs to be treated as Malware.

A secondary scanner "caught them" and claimed to have quarantined them - it also instructed me to reboot to complete the cleaning process. That scanner on restart totally messed up my system - could not get past the page after sign-in password page for over an hour. That page after the sign-in page was black, except for a non funtioning DOS window and a Windows red-bordered warning about not being able to locat some Appp Dara///Roamining /browser.exe. file. After clicking OK in the windows warning the =screen became totally black.

On my first restart I saw a black screen with the name of the secondary scanner in top left corner.

I doubt it was the PUPs that caused the start up problem cuz those PUPs only benefit from a functioning system.

Luckily that secondary scanner had totally failed to eliminate or quarantine either PUP as it said it had. After approx. 20 minutes staring at a black screen PC Cleaner started-and began scanning my system finding 200+ non existant  files to be cleaned - clicked on "register" and my firefox browser opened and was fully functional-the tapika hi-jacker also remained on my system, but i was able to get a number for ASUS Support - Nothing else seemed to be working-right click context menu did not work for example

Pc Cleaner only wanted my full credit card details so I could pay $79 for an auto renew license to PC Cleaner :-)

I'm using a new ASUS PC and did not know how to open the boot menu - no traditional F!2 option appears. I was able to access the bios by pressing F2 or Delete but there appeared to me to be no obvious way to select a boot drive or boot menu.

Luckily, after approximately an hour my Windows 8.1 Start screen very slowly materialized, block at a time and I was able to access system restore which was completed successfully.

BTW: ASUS Support says ESC key opens the boot menu-haven't tried it so not sure it is accurate.

What struck me as totally weird was that even after a full system restore, while Pc Cleaner was totally gone, Tapika still remained in my uninstall list and was the default search engine in Firefox, I was able to eliminate tapika search by Options Menu in FireFox.

I have no understanding of the way EMIS deals with PUPs, but while EMSI 9 failed to detect the PUPs on an after the fact scan, it was at least a good doctor: "First Do No Harm."

I  have a licensed version of the secondary on-demand scanner still installed but am now afraid to use it for anything other than eliminating Tracking Cookies. It not only falled to quarantine the PUPs as it stated it had, it almost lost me my OS.

Sorry, but I fail to see the point of your posting to be honest. There are no questions, no suggestions and no real reports. May I ask what your intention for this posting was so I can move it to the correct category?

The question is why didn't EMIS 9 detcect any part of these two PUPs.

I did note that they invaded my system while another security suite was installed.

Uninstalled that suite which doesn't detcect PUPs

ReInstalled EMIS ( and did a Smart Scan and EMIS 9 failed to detect anyu part of those PUPs.

So I wanted to know if EMIS 9 would have blocked those PUPs from entering or remaining on my system if it was installed at the time they were downloaded.

Without the actual PUPs you are referring to there is no way to know for sure. Any chance you can send us the applications containing the PUPs you are referring to?

Thanks for your reply Fabian.

Nope, can't send the PUP apps. After doing a system restore they are long gone. They were named Tapika (home page/search engine hi-jacker) and PC Cleaner.

I assume both might not be considered to be malicious PUPs, maybe some peeeps like search engines that take them to paid for search results - ads, and while PC Cleaner appeared to be a scam, because of it's self-starting and absurdly high price with an auto renewal, it may in fact be a legitimate program, though it's same function is performed by free version of C C Cleaner.

Sorry Siketa, but not sure. I do believe it was Tapika, I am also sure it was not  Topeka  or Tapioca.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what the name was. Even with the name, chances are it could have been one of hundreds or even thousands of possible versions or variants. In general it is just impossible to give precise answers to questions like why EAM reacted a certain way or did or did not detect something without the actual program in question.

I would therefore suggest you continue your dialog via PM while I close this thread for now. HAWKI, if you run into any other issues please don't hesitate to create a new thread.