JeremyNicoll

Manage Network - how does EIS recognise a new network?

I don't have EIS, but have been reading posts here to try and get an idea how it works.  In another thread:

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/16625-eis-firewall-component-udp-blocked-pingtrace/

there's a screenshot of the "Manage Networks" screen (in Charyb's post # 5, thumbnail 1). 

I'd like to know if, say, I connected my laptop via a LAN cable to several different home networks whether I'd end up with several entries on that screen (which I could name according to which house they were in), and perhaps assign differerent levels of trust to?

I think I'm asking whether EIS detects a new network in terms of (say) the hardware MAC address of the router or gateway or something(?) on that network?

I'm hoping that I wouldn't have to tell EIS that any/all networks I might attach myself to by LAN cable were either all private trusted ones, or all public ones?

Also, does Windows support one having a WiFi network adapter and a wired adapter active at the same time?  If so, could one (eg at home on a trusted wired network) have it set to private/trusted and at the same time indicate that any traffic reachine the machine over its wifi adapter was untrusted?

In general EIS will use the same network detection Windows uses. So whenever Windows plops up with "New network detected" dialog, EIS will have a new network as well and will actually use the answer you gave in that Windows dialog as the default. Whether or not Windows supports a WIFI and a wired connection to the same network at the same time is a question you should direct towards Microsoft. I would just test it, but I don't use WIFI :).

OK, well what's your experience of WIndows' new-network detection algorithm?   I ask because quite some time ago I used Zone Alarm Pro and it was told me far more than twice (but not every time I changed) that a new network had been detected, but I only ever had the machine connected to one of two LANs.  Of course I don't know if it used the WIndows method, and i don't know if there was a bug in whatever it did... but I do know that it was annoying. 

As for the cabled versus Wifi connection issue, I'm not a fan of WiFi either, and would normally have my machine's WiFi adapter turned off.  But I was curious about what might happen if it was on (accidentally) and picked up an neighbour's insecure network... I suppose there's little chance, even if that would work, that it could happen without me realising.

You can find most of the information about how it works here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2010/09/08/network-location-awareness-nla-and-how-it-relates-to-windows-firewall-profiles.aspx

Emsisoft Internet Security essentially uses the same Network Location Awareness features described there as the Windows firewall does. The only difference is that we treat both "Home" and "Work" networks identical (we call them Private networks).