bubl8015

Upgraded - Question of conflicts

Hi I upgraded from Emsisoft to EIS - of course being a paranoid pc user I have paid subscriptions of other PC Programs - One being Norton 360 & Malwarebytes Pro - do I need to setup any rules or anything or will everything be fine.  I have a lot of faith in Emsisoft but until the other subscriptions run out - I have them all activated.  Thanks Dave

You cannot runs two antivirus at the same time, because both of them will detect each other operation as malicious and therefore leads to major system conflict. As your question, i will said pick either Norton or Emsisoft as real time protection antivirus solution. Emsisoft is both antivirus and antimalware so running it together with Norton and Malwarebytes will 3x decreased your system performance and security issue. Also, if you are planning to use Emsisoft as real time antivirus solution, i recommend you add rule for Malwarebytes, because it will decreased any issue arrive for both of them. Malwarebytes is anti malware solution therefore can run alongside any antivirus, but keep in mind for any strange behaviors such as system crash, application crash, or system performance slow down.

As Jerky McDilerino said, you need to choose whether you want Emsisoft Internet Security or Norton 360 as your main real time AV.

I'd have to disagree with his part about Malwarebytes though - I've been running MBAM and MBAE Premium alongside Emsisoft Internet Security since the first day, and there are no noticeable performance impacts.

Adding exceptions for MBAM into EIS can speed up scans a little, since EIS will look the other way when MBAM is doing something.

Regards,

Alex

You cannot runs two antivirus at the same time, because both of them will detect each other operation as malicious and therefore leads to major system conflict.

Actually, you can. And you have been able to do so for a very long time. Since Microsoft introduced the file system mini filters in Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2000 SP4 running two AV products in parallel has become a lot more stable. Does it make sense from a security point of view? Most likely not. But claiming it will just not work is plain wrong. EAM and Norton will work just fine alongside each other for example and the same is true for a lot of security products. The interesting aspect is, that MBAM for example uses the very same mechanism that every single AV uses to intercept file system activity. But somehow there it doesn't pose a problem out of the sudden while in any other case it suddenly does for no particular reason. Is it true that there can be incompatibilities between specific products? Sure. These happen with all software types though. They are exceptions, but not the rule.

In general running EAM and Norton 360 alongside each other should work just fine. Running EIS alongside Norton 360 isn't recommended though. It may work, but given my experience with how fragile NDIS and WFP drivers tend to be, it is likely that the firewalls incorporated in both Norton 360 and EIS will cause instability. So if you truly want to run both products in parallel, get rid of the firewall in one of those products by either downgrading EIS to EAM or Norton 360 to their firewall-less product, if they offer one.

• Upvote 1