HAWKI

Is This How EMSI 9 is Supposed to Work Re: Updates and Scans?

Hi. When I do a Full Scan and the Overview Window Scan Page is open EMSI 9 does not update. I always do such scans at night before sleeping. Thus the Window remains open for 5 hour. When I wake up and look ar the screen it tells me Last Update 5 or somethg hours ago and I run Update Now and there is always one large update and often another.

Is EMSI 9 supposed to be able to update while scanning with the Overview Scan Page Open? Or when it finishes the scan but the Overview scan page renains open?

Running Full Scans on a regular basis is a colossal waste of time. Even running a single full scan is arguably unnecessary. It is one of the reasons why Full Scans will be removed from the direct scan selection in the next version. You will still be able to perform Full Scans, but they are a lot less prominent and require an additional click to get to. That being said, automatic updates are paused while a scan is in progress.

Running Full Scans on a regular basis is a colossal waste of time. Even running a single full scan is arguably unnecessary. It is one of the reasons why Full Scans will be removed from the direct scan selection in the next version. You will still be able to perform Full Scans, but they are a lot less prominent and require an additional click to get to. That being said, automatic updates are paused while a scan is in progress.

Fabian,

can you please explain why a full scan is a waste of time?

thank you

can you please explain why a full scan is a waste of time?

Because 90% of the files scanned by a full scan can't be infected by malware or are located in locations that aren't even targeted by malware, so you will never find active malware in them. The next version of EAM/EIS will introduce a new scan that replaces both the Full Scan and the Smart Scan. It will be called Malware Scan and automatically determines every location on your system that known malware is targeting, The list of locations is dynamically updated through signature updates. So if malware starts using other locations, that are not included, we can update the scan in minutes without pushing out a new version. The result is a scan that is a lot faster than any of the scan types it replaces, but without sacrificing security. Full Scans can still be useful to run once to make sure there is no inactive malware on your system in your backup folders for example. But then again you could argue that inactive malware files don't pose a threat because they are inactive and the real-time protection will prevent them from ever becoming active.

From my experience, Full Scan is useful in finding malware traces.

Quick scan includes a traces scan, finishes in less than 15 seconds on most systems and detects all the traces a Full Scan would. So it's not a particularly good argument for wasting hours of your time.
  • Upvote 1

Because 90% of the files scanned by a full scan can't be infected by malware or are located in locations that aren't even targeted by malware, so you will never find active malware in them. The next version of EAM/EIS will introduce a new scan that replaces both the Full Scan and the Smart Scan. It will be called Malware Scan and automatically determines every location on your system that known malware is targeting, The list of locations is dynamically updated through signature updates. So if malware starts using other locations, that are not included, we can update the scan in minutes without pushing out a new version. The result is a scan that is a lot faster than any of the scan types it replaces, but without sacrificing security. Full Scans can still be useful to run once to make sure there is no inactive malware on your system in your backup folders for example. But then again you could argue that inactive malware files don't pose a threat because they are inactive and the real-time protection will prevent them from ever becoming active.

Quick scan includes a traces scan, finishes in less than 15 seconds on most systems and detects all the traces a Full Scan would. So it's not a particularly good argument for wasting hours of your time.

for me the full scan option is ok where it is right now, if you ask me i wouldnt agree with your suggestion for removing that feature, however it is true that full scans are some times useless but yet necessary as some times malware that are not blocked by real time protection /in default mode/ (for example js files and some other) may be there for a long time, it is true that those innactive files are harmless as they arent in active mode, but it is not like WE would like to have them wasting space in our hard disk...

I like your idea of SMART scan, actually i think that is the real concept but please dont remove full scan i know that most of the people here will agree with me...

if you ask me i wouldnt agree with your suggestion for removing that feature

You can still do full scans. Just click Custom Scan and click start. Custom Scan defaults to the same settings as the Full Scan did. We just don't offer the option per default because it leads people to think it offers more security which simply isn't the case.

however it is true that full scans are some times useless but yet necessary as some times malware that are not blocked by real time protection /in default mode/ (for example js files and some other) may be there for a long time, it is true that those innactive files are harmless as they arent in active mode, but it is not like WE would like to have them wasting space in our hard disk...

Browser cache is included in the new Malware Scan. So your argument about JS files is invalid.