Sign in to follow this  
hawaiianlungs

Updates

I cannot update Emsisoft Antimalware. I have used it for many years and it always updated fine. Now it will not.

My internet connection is fine. I am in China, and use a VPN sometimes. No matter if I use a VPN or not, it will not update. I have tried for several days.

I have been traveling, and my database is 145 days old.

Everything else updates fine. Everything including Mslwarebytes.

I always get an error that the update server cannot be reached and to check my internet connection and proxy settings. My internet connection is fine. If I use a VPN, I have it set to no proxy.

So, impossible to update despite everything else being fine.

I even uninstalled the software and reinstalled it. Same problem.

I seriously doubt I have infections. Malwarebytes reported only PUP,s which I deleted. No viruses.

Both my Emsisoft firewall is off and windows firewall.

Under <tools> <internet options><connections>, I have proxy unchecked. Still it will not update. Same error message that it will not connect to update server.

If I remember correctly some Chinese ISPs block access to our CDN via DNS poisoning. Let's try setting a static IP address for our update servers in your HOSTS file, and see if that works. Here are the 2 IP addresses that you can try:

Here's links to a couple of articles on editing the HOSTS file in Windows 7 (both articles have lots of advertisements in them):

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-hosts-file/

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1821155/edit-hosts-file-windows.html

This should be added in a new line to the end of your HOSTS file, and that line should look like the following:

72.21.81.253 dl.emsisoft.com

If you need a different IP address, then you may need to use a DNS lookup tool based in Europe or Asia to find an IP address closer to you. The first IP address I listed above is from our North American server, and the second is from our United Kingdom server.

We no longer use the CDN that 72.21.81.253 belonged to. Here's the entries you can use in your HOSTS file now if you need to:

205.185.216.10	dl.emsisoft.com
205.185.216.42	dl.emsisoft.com
205.185.216.10	cdn.emsisoft.com
205.185.216.42	cdn.emsisoft.com