nunnbt473

Identifying Chrome (and other browser) extensions

I used to use Online Armor back in the day, but stopped for a number of years so I was able to run virtual box for various reasons. Well since I no longer use that program, I decided to return, as its by far the best personal firewall application I have come across. With that being said, I am having a few issues with it.

Firstly I decided I needed to stop being lazy after a misclick on an add installed some PUPs, literally before I had the chance to click cancel on the install. (Hey sometimes running all that extra processing power isn't a good thing). I know that generally its best to get the firewall running BEFORE something happens, but that just simply isn't the case here. So I was hopping Online Armor would be able to show logs of the items it was scanning and filtering. I removed all of the malware except for one item. If I delete the extensions / BHOs from IE / FF / Chrome, they reappear the next time I open the browser.

So something which isn't obvious is starting up on my system and (presumably) either adding files that these browsers automatically read/load, or interacting directly with these apps to silently install the extensions. How can I fully log / trace everything so I can end this re-install loop?

Online Armor does have its history, and there are more advanced logging options available in the firewall settings (most of those are available in Online Armor Premium only).

Please also note that our free emergency kit may be able to remove the PUP as well.

The emergency kit was unable to remove the PUP (PriceeLaeussss 5.2) which automatically is reinstalling itself to chrome after deletion. It did however catch an item which Avast, Windows Defender, Norton Scan, Trend Micro Housecall, Hitman, Immunet, Autoruns, Hijack This, Ccleaner, ATF Cleaner, MalwareBytes, Spybot S&D and IO Bits could not identify or destroy .

You may have better luck using AdwCleaner to remove the PUPs in Google Chrome.

Download AdwCleaner and save it on your desktop.

• Close all open programs and Internet browsers (you may want to print our or write down these instructions first).
  • Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Clean button.
  • Confirm each time with OK.
  • You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open in Notepad after the restart (this is the log of what was removed), which you can save on your desktop.

NOTE: If you lose that log file for any reason, you can find it at C:\AdwCleaner on your computer.

The should do the trick.