Lode

Why Not Sell Online Armor?

Online Armor still is considered by many to be the best -or at least one of the best- firewalls. If Emsisoft doesn't want to continue with it, is there no one else who would gladly do just that?

If you are letting it die, it must not be worth much to you. Actually nothing. But I'm confident someone will love to buy it. Just make it inexpensive. I would buy it if I were tech-savy and wanted to dedicate time to it keeping it up. 

Coincidentally, yesterday I saw this clip. Watch the end result at 8:57 here:

"Best Free Firewall 2014"

In the end as a firewall with HIPS it might still for many years be very useful to many of us. Even without updates for dangerous websites. And I will gladly keep paying for it as I've done for 9 years now.

But have any efforts been made to offer it to anyone or let it be known it is for sale? (Besides your above post.)

We have offered it to some of our business contacts and we definitely wouldn't charge too much. But it's not only about compiling a set of code files. The product requires some online backend infrastructure that can't be developed within a few days. A good part of its power relies on the server side databases and algorithms that require ongoing maintenance and improvements. To be future proof, the product also requires some code changes. Just to name a few: IPv6, full unicode support, Windows 8 driver model changes, etc. These all are doable but not trivial I'm afraid. Only a very small number of software developers have the required skills to code firewall drivers that don't crash all day long. Based on our experience firewall development is one of the most challenging areas of software development you can think about. Windows API documentation is generally poor and you have to expect to find bugs in Windows that Microsoft doesn't even know about (had a few cases in the last year).

• Upvote 2

I see. Thanks for explaining.

I guess there are lots of OA users of the free version. Maybe less that have the paid one. I'm one of the latter, and with such a good firewall, why not make it a paid only version? See what happens. Probably there will be those looking for other free firewalls then. But many might understand and begin to pay. If after some time there is still not enough income to make it worth keeping it going, then you can always end working on it and let it die. 

You are a business, not a philanthropy after all... you also have to pay the rent -or mortgage- and buy the bread, just like all of us.

That way you have nothing to lose. Just offer the paid version only and discontinue the free one. At least even the now still free users will have an opportunity to keep enjoying OA if they are willing to spend some money on it. Otherwise they'll have no OA anymore at all anyway, neither free nor paid... :).

I find it plenty altruistic that you have let so many users enjoy OA for free for so many years already.   :wub:

And the more products you offer the larger share of the market you have. Emsisoft Internet Security, and Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and Online Armor.

It's just that I'm so used to seeing on the Firewall Status panel how many bytes go in and out, and with which countries my notebook is connected (those little flags).  :D

The more products you offer, the larger the part of the market you get. So to offer Emissoft Ant-Malware, Online Armor, and Emsisoft Internet Security will give you a larger share of the market. 

I disagree with that statement to be honest. There are plenty of vendors who just focus on one thing and are vastly successful with that concept. A small product range helps to bundle all available resources on one goal and makes it easier to be the best in a specific segment.

Multiple similar products can cause confusion at customers, leading in overall lower sales. Online Armor was competing with Internet Security and we struggled to communicate the differences well. Which led to a higher refund rate for Online Armor and overall lower customer satisfaction. Which doesn't imply that the product itself is bad. It's just in a wrong environment at Emsisoft. That's why I wouldn't hesitate to sell it to someone who wants to focus on it in a proper way.

You obviously know more about market strategies than I do. I based the idea on seeing the same companies bringing out many similar products with different names and packagings. That's what it looks like on the supermarket shelves... but it makes sense what you said.

But would it be possible to use the Internet Security suite and only OA's Firewall Status panel? By turning off all protection features of OA: Firewall, Webshield, Program Guard, and Anti-Keylogger (for example)? So OA would not interfere with Internet Security's firewall?

I would love to switch to the new Internet Security suite while still having that Firewall Status panel. Would be great if the latter could be offered as a stand alone program.

It's OA own fault for spoiling me for so long...  :lol:

But otherwise I hope you can sell OA. 

Hi Lode

I don't know if you know it, but I had OA firewall on my computer when it was just proto type code.  I was with OA until it came to Emsisoft.  I fought the transition tooth and nail, and hated loosing my traffic LED.  But then I tried EIS to consider testing it.  Now I would never turn back if I could.

You might one or two little things missing in EIS, but I can tell  you without doubt, EIS is a much better product in terns of the level of protection.  It really is the best.

Pete

Let me respond to that with another question: Which things are you missing in EIS and why do you think these are helpful to protect your computer?

I'm sure EIS is excellent. I saw some good reviews of it. And I've enjoyed EAM for years too already.

It's just that I'm hooked on looking at the Firewall Status panel now and then, Watching those green mountains slowly move every second a bit more from the right to the left. And seeing all the little flags indicating with which countries my notebook is connected. That's all.  :blush:

In the mean time I've had some email exchanges with an Emsisoft colleague of yours: Arthur Wilkinson. He has been very helpful also. I had asked him if it would be possible to use OA only for it's Firewall Status monitor by shutting down all its protection, so that it would not interfere with EIS' firewall. Or if that Firewall Status monitor could be turned into a stand alone tool by Emsisoft. This is what he responded:

NetStat Agent will show the countries for each connection, however it

> isn't a free tool (I would believe there's a free trial):

> http://netstatagent.com/

> http://netstatagent.com/images/screenshot-netstat.png

>

> The firewall status window in Online Armor relies on a lot of the

> underlying functionality of Online Armor firewall engine to gather and

> show the information it does. Making it a standalone tool would probably

> take more development effort than updating Online Armor. The way it

> currently works, it relies on the network filter driver from Online

> Armor, which would make it incompatible with other firewalls (network

> filter drivers are not compatible with each other, and all firewalls use

> them).

>

> Best regards,

>

> Arthur Wilkinson

> Customer Support

I'll respond to him (adding a link to this thread):

"That looks somewhat similar to OA's Firewall Status panel. But I miss those green mountains...   :) 

It looks like I can still enjoy OA for a year. So I realized I need not worry now what will happen after that. But I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Thank you much for your kind help."

Hi Lode

I don't know if you know it, but I had OA firewall on my computer when it was just proto type code.  I was with OA until it came to Emsisoft.  I fought the transition tooth and nail, and hated loosing my traffic LED.  But then I tried EIS to consider testing it.  Now I would never turn back if I could.

You might one or two little things missing in EIS, but I can tell  you without doubt, EIS is a much better product in terns of the level of protection.  It really is the best.

Pete

I began using OA in 2005 on Windows xp. Mathousec was raving over it then. On the original OA forum I had asked the developer (Aussie Mike?) if he could make the Firewall Status icon automatically appear on my tray after reboots. He said it was a Windows quirk, and that he rather spend all his time keeping OA's protection functioning fine by working on the malware definitions. I couldn't blame him.

So even now 10 years later -having done it on Windows xp and then on 7- I still make that little green square appear on my tray manually after every reboot on Windows 8.1...  just a touchpad tap (on the tray) "Show hidden icons" > "Customize" > (scroll down) > "Show Icon and notifications" > "OK."             :D

Yes, this is correct. Because Emsisoft Anti-Malware (which is EIS without firewall) already had a number of features that OnlineArmor also used, the integrated firewall is simpler and has less features than OA itself. You can read more about the differences in this blog post which was created shortly after EIS was released.

Yes, this is correct. Because Emsisoft Anti-Malware (which is EIS without firewall) already had a number of features that OnlineArmor also used, the integrated firewall is simpler and has less features than OA itself. You can read more about the differences in this blog post which was created shortly after EIS was released.

So EIS is superior over EAM and both has similar features from Online Armor but both are lesser superior over original Online Armor?

I am behind NAT (router) I guess I should pick EAM, I don't see the reason of having EIS in this case unless I want to block applications specifically (or being connect directly to modem without NAT?

I've tried EIS & EAM, and now on EAM, I was using ESET IS, to be honest, nothing can beat the firewall of the Eset, or the firewall of the Comodo, so I've decided to use EAM with a 3rd-party firewall, I chose Comodo firewall for that job. The problem is that EMISOFT products are using a lot of memory, way more than my previous software, (see the attached pic). ESET Internet Security was using just 100MB  of memory!

post-35763-0-15866800-1436417330_thumb.jpg
Download Image

Edited by bonbonboi