1steven

Scan completes but A-Squared interface freezes

:angry: Just today I have a problem developing. I can run and finish a deep scan of my hard drive. When the scan completes, the A-Squared interface becomes "dead". I can point and move my mouse all over the screen, but all of the functions, buttons on the entire interface do not respond to any mouse clicks. I can't increase or decrease the window size, can't delete or quarantine, can't X-out to close the program. But I still am able to access and open any of the other programs on my desktop or use the start menu to get into programs.

I have uninstalled the A-Squared program using REVO Uninstaller, cleaned the registry using Eusing Free Reg Cleaner, defragged the hard disk with Defraggler, rebooted twice and then reinstalled the latest version of A-Squared Free. I ran a new scan and it finished and completed fine, but I still have the same problem--the interface became dead and unresponsive to either mouse or keyboard commands.

I am running Vista with the latest security patches and service packs on an Acer spire 7720 laptop with 2 gb RAM, 250 gb HDD, Intel Core 2 Duo processor at 1.5 Ghz.

Other software installed is AVG 9.0 Free antivirus, Ad-Aware Free, Comodo Firewall Free, Spyware Terminator with realtime protection. I disable Syware Terminator, Comodo Firewall and AdAware when I run the scan but AVG 9 does not have a feature to disable it in this latest version which is a real pain in the butt! Other programs installed include IObit Security 360, IObit Advanced System Care Pro, Spybot, Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes and Super AntiSpyware but all of these are on-demand and do not have the realtime protection so they are NOT running in the background. But

The scan shows 3 problems, 2 with low risk and one that is a high risk trojan. If specific names are needed, I will run a scan again and post the exact malware found.

I never had a problem with running A-Squared until today.

Any ideas?? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

You should be able to stop the AVG services before running a scan. That will disable the resident AV. Before you try that, have you excluded the A-Squared folder from scanning by AVG?

If you do go down the route of stopping the services, disconnect your PC from your router/modem before stopping the services (or use msconfig to do this and reboot). After the scan has finished remember to re-enable AVG before connecting to your modem/router.

Hi 1steven, welcome to the forum

For now I will remove double post from "Malware Removal" section

If you think that the issue is malware related please follow the standard rules that applies to that section

=======

Read the following instructions

START HERE, if you don't we are just going to send you back to this thread <--click

Prepare and post (attach) the required log files into Malware Removal section of the forum

(create new thread there)

Wait for reply from ShadowPuterDude, Katana, or JeanInMontana

for assistance and further instructions.

=======

Translation Links for Forum Instructions

My regards

but AVG 9 does not have a feature to disable it in this latest version

It has the feature and it's working perfectly

DisableAVG.jpg

NoResident.jpg

...If specific names are needed, I will run a scan again and post the exact malware found.

Sure, please attach saved scan report... and in addition if you think that those are False Positives, submit the entries to EMSI developers for analysis from the detection list.

Do not forget to update a2 prior to to scanning

My regards

p.s. if you want an advice how to completely disable AVG temporarily, please ask.

I would suspect Spyware Terminator interference more than AVG's though...

In any case, despite you stated that "no real-time residents" of other security are active ... it seems like you are overdoing your security setup...

I cannot possibly know your experience, but one have to be quite knowledgeable to manage all that without running into conflicts