Emsisoft update appears to have back-leveled my clients

The software appears to have downloaded updates to my clients' machines and possibly back-leveled them. They were all previously on version 9.x of Emsisoft Antimalware. Now the interface looks totally different and the version shows as: 8.1.0.35. It has also turned off the File Guard.

When I try to run the update process, it says that it cannot connect to the update server.

I have the software installed on 60+ clients and 6 servers. What is going on?

I have attached a file showing the screenshot of the new GUI.

Screenshot.pdf

I didn't know whether to start a new thread or not, so I'll just say that I've got this EXACT same issue as well with a slight difference. I've got EIS 9.0 and I was having issues connecting to the update server too and had enabled beta updates. I checked this morning that the update had succeeded and it had, prompting me to reboot. After rebooting, Emsisoft shows me this window in the attached images and won't accept my license key any longer. This has never happened before - it's almost as if Emsisoft has regressed to an older version.

EDIT: I'm guessing it's regressed to an old version of EAM somehow and therefore it doesn't accept my EIS key any longer. Not sure what to do beyond uninstalling and reinstalling but thought I'd let you know.

post-31039-0-44403800-1428483306_thumb.jpg

post-31039-0-68258400-1428483311_thumb.jpg

Can you guys please provide the logs.db3 files from affected systems so we can see what was going on? It can be find in the Logs folder of the EAM/EIS installation directory. Do you have beta updates enabled? In general it should fix itself automatically on next update. EIS keys won't be accepted by an installation that downdated to EAM, but you can select the Freeware mode, run the update to get back to 9.0/10.0 and put in the key again.

Can you guys please provide the logs.db3 files from affected systems so we can see what was going on? It can be find in the Logs folder of the EAM/EIS installation directory. Do you have beta updates enabled? In general it should fix itself automatically on next update. EIS keys won't be accepted by an installation that downdated to EAM, but you can select the Freeware mode, run the update to get back to 9.0/10.0 and put in the key again.

Sure! I've attached it to this post for you.

Yes, I had just freshly installed Windows and was reinstalling EIS on the computer. I couldn't connect to the update server but I ticked beta updates as I wanted to try out V10. I'll try what you said and hopefully get myself back on track again.

EDIT: That method worked and I'm now on V10. Everything seems to be working fine now, thank you!

logs.7z

Hello Fabian,

Same thing has happened to my resellers and my personal self. Emsisoft will ask you to reboot once and it reverts to version 8 with File Guard disabled, then asks to reboot again and goes back to version 9 with File Guard disabled. I then proceeded to reboot a 3rd time, turned off all guards and turned them back on again and now all is back to normal.

I have advised Arthur about it, he has let the team know. Can be something related to Beta 10.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marc

Fabian,

Would you ask the team to look into creating an option that allows us to not prompt for reboots during a specified time period? For my business clients I need to NOT have it request a reboot during the day when they are working. Most of my clients are in the healthcare industry, and asking for a reboot when they are working with a patient is a BIG problem. If you click on Close when it prompts for a reboot, it pops back up within a coupe of minutes asking for a reboot again.

• Upvote 1

Same happened to me yesterday, i had beta enabled so after it downloaded ver 10 i run update again and it was downloading version 8, hopefully i figured out and run update again, it started to download ver 10. My only concern is the fact that update servers were down i couldnt update for several hours i set up a VM to see if my pc was the problem and the same issue happened also i tried to update EEK but it wont update.

However updates are working fine now :D . I wrote this to let you know the issue. Emmm why your servers have old version in their database?

To allow proper transitions of old pressed CDs that still contain old setups. The beta build butchered up the version info, which caused the backend to think that version 8 tried to update and returned the version 8 beta updates instead of the version 10 updates. We fixed the problem already and it won't happen again.

• Upvote 1

Something strange happened to me as well. Last night I enabled beta updates and updated to version 10, after the update I unchecked the box for beta updates. Just as few minutes ago I checked and was back to version 9. Possibly what happened is that someone used computer earlier today and when program updated it reverted back to version 9. In any case enabled beta updates again and are back to version 10. Will leave beta box checked this time to see what happens.