dwstanch

General questions on EIS 10

Good day.  I am using Emsisoft Internet Security 10.0.0.5167.  I have two general questions concerning it.

Q-1  Gaming.  Is there no longer a gaming mode?  I searched for it, to ensure it was on or active.  I couldn't find it.

Custom Scan--Use direct disk access option.

The information window explains...A more effective but slower alternative method of reading files from the hard disk for scanning. 

It should be used only for finding Rootkits, not for scanning the entire hard disk.

Q-2  If it should only be used for finding Rootkits, wouldn't we want to "scan" for rootkits every time?  I am uncertain when a person should use this option.

Thank you.

Good day.  I am using Emsisoft Internet Security 10.0.0.5167.  I have two general questions concerning it.

Q-1  Gaming.  Is there no longer a gaming mode?  I searched for it, to ensure it was on or active.  I couldn't find it.

Custom Scan--Use direct disk access option.

The information window explains...A more effective but slower alternative method of reading files from the hard disk for scanning. 

It should be used only for finding Rootkits, not for scanning the entire hard disk.

Q-2  If it should only be used for finding Rootkits, wouldn't we want to "scan" for rootkits every time?  I am uncertain when a person should use this option.

Thank you.

As Siketa said... you can enter Game Mode via the tray icon. When Game Mode is active there will be a yellow Pacman icon next to the Emsisoft shield.

Rootkits are pretty rare nowadays, and when you got infected with a really bad one then you need specialized help anyway (not to mention rootkit scans are unerringly slow). So I tend to keep Direct Disk Access off in EIS, and Scan for rootkits off in MBAM.

Thank you both for the gaming mode help!  I knew it had to be there somewhere! 

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is MBAM?  And how would one scan for rootkits off in it?  I appreciate your reply, but I am just unfamiliar with the acronym MBAM.

Direct Disk Access (DDA) isn't required to scan for rootkits, as there are usually other more efficient ways to find them. DDA just assumes that the rootkit can be found by searching for files hidden from the Windows file input/output API's. It takes a very long time to do this type of scan, and it can cause compatibility issues with other software or even strange crashing issues if there are errors in the filesystem on the hard drive.