Thylek

EAM + Webroot + ZoneAlarm

Hello all,

On Windows 8.1 x64 (although the question would be applicable to all systems):

Can I run Emsisoft Anti-Malware (since it has no firewall) with Webroot SecureAnywhere (also has no firewall) with ZoneAlarm free firewall?

As I understand, both EMSI and WSA are built to be compatible with other security programs, but will this combo prove problematic because of the stand-alone firewall?

Thanks in advance.

Three security softwares on the same computer will cause performance issues. Those issues may not be bad, but you will still see a noticeable decrease in performance (especially on startup).

Exclusions can reduce the impact of having that many security softwares, and they can reduce the potential for other problems. Feel free to try it without exclusions first just to see if its OK (all of our software can be uninstalled in Safe Mode if necessary), and you can add exclusions if you encounter any issues.

Yep the only way to know is to try, BUT, back up backup backup first, so you can get yourself out of trouble easily.

If you have any questions about that ask.

Pete

Thanks for the answers guys!

One more question: rather than running WSA+EAM+ a dedicated firewall, is it possible to run WSA with EIS? I read on another forum (not sure if I'm allowed to say the name of another forum here?) that while EAM can be run with other software, EIS cannot.

Is this true? I imagine it would be better to run WSA+EIS to help reduce system impact of the three separate applications

Thanks

Hi Siketa,

Thanks for the answer :) . WSA doesn't actually have its [own] firewall, it relies on Windows firewall & in Windows 8 doesn't give the user outbound control (I'm a Webroot Business ambassador so I know from experience   ;)) It is compatible with other firewalls & I'd rather have something that gives me outbound control

• Upvote 1

Ahhh....didn't know that. :)

I was testing WSA in VM with Windows7 and, as far as I can remember, it had outbound control. 

WSA gives the user outbound control in Win XP, Vista & 7, but not 8. They say its because of the way the API in the new Windows version works with the firewall & that in order to give the user control they would have to add new components which would add bulk to the product.

• Upvote 1

EAM and EIS are essentially the same software, and the only real difference is the firewall component that comes with EIS. The only real restriction when it comes to EIS and compatibility with other security software is the network filter driver from the firewall, as bad things usually happen when more than one firewall has a network filter driver installed at the same time (this is why disabling the firewall in one product is not enough to avoid compatibility issues with another firewall).