Andy5

Black screen

I was away from my laptop for around 20 minutes, when i came back the screen was black with the fan running at full blast. I had ran scans with EIS and malwarebytes which found no threats. Also note that sometimes/rarely for some reason my cpu fluctuates from 17% to 100%. 

I recommend adding exclusions to Emsisoft Internet Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and see if that helps.

In Malwarebytes Anti-Malware you can just add the Emsisoft Internet Security folder, and that should be enough. Here's a couple of links to articles on the Malwarebytes website about adding exclusions:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/MalwareExclusions.html

https://support.malwarebytes.org/customer/portal/articles/1835329-how-do-i-stop-malwarebytes-anti-malware-from-blocking-scanning-a-file-or-program-that-i-trust-?b_id=6438

The folder you will want to add should be the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Internet Security

In Emsisoft Internet Security, I recommend adding the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware folder to the whitelist as a Folder exclusion, and adding several of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware files to the whitelist as Process exclusions.

The malwarebytes Anti-Malware folder should be the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Here's some instructions on adding a Folder exclusion in Emsisoft Internet Security:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security from the icon on the desktop.
  • Click Protection.
  • Select File Guard in the menu at the top.
  • On the right side, roughly in the middle, click on the Manage whitelist button.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and select Folder (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the gray box below Item to make a button with three dots (...) appear, and then click the ... button.
  • Navigate to the directory you wish to exclude, select it, and click OK at the bottom to add it.
  • Click the OK button at the bottom when done, and close Emsisoft Internet Security.
Here's the files that will need to be added:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

Feel free to add any other executable files you find in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware folder as well.

Here are instructions on adding processes to the whitelist in Emsisoft Internet Security:

• Open Emsisoft Anti-Malware from the icon on the desktop.
  • Click Protection.
  • Select File Guard in the menu at the top.
  • On the right side, roughly in the middle, click on the Manage whitelist button.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and select Process (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the gray box below Item to make a button with three dots (...) appear, and then click the ... button.
  • Navigate to the directory where the files you wish to exclude are located, and double-click on one of them to add it.
  • Repeat the last 3 steps as needed to add each file to the exclusions list.
  • Click the OK button at the bottom when done, and close Emsisoft Internet Security.

Hi,

This problem has occurred again :( here's the dmp file. Also note that i sometimes experience lag in cycles, i was wondering if this problem could be caused by a hardware problem? 

051515-25771-01.dmp

May I ask what it's is a dump of? A specific process's memory dump? A kernel memory dump?

When you start a reply look to the right at the bottom of the reply window and you will see 'more reply options' button.

Press this and you will be taken to where you can select your file to attach to the forum.

Note that you will have to zip the dump file in order to upload it as an attachment. (right-click on  your dump file and 'select send to compressed zip')

Minidumps probably aren't going to contain enough information to properly debug the issue. It looks like the minidump says the reason for the dump being written was "DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE" and it looks like it is pointing to ntoskrnl.exe as the source, however there is no guarantee that this information is correct.

Is the system actually crashing (as in a blue screen), or is something else happening?

something else is happening, i keep getting a period of significant decrease in performance in which can causes the laptop to freeze.  note: just completed windows memory diagnostics which found no errors.

Have you checked to make sure that the exclusions you had added previously to Emsisoft Internet Security and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware are still in place?

Thank you Christian and Arthur for trying to solve the problem i am having. While i was downloading the driver malwarebytes had some error code in which crashed my laptop and had to be removed from safe mode.

... malwarebytes had some error code in which crashed my laptop and had to be removed from safe mode.

Have you contacted their support yet? If the issue is reproducible, then they will probably want debug information to help them fix the issue. You can contact their support about Malwarebytes Anti-Malware issues at this link, or on their forums in their Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help section.