Sign in to follow this  
djkimmel

Can't access the Internet in Windows Vista with Online Armor Firewall on

A few days ago I renewed my license for EAM and reinstalled it because I started getting an error that said to do so because a component was missing. I renewed my license one or two days late. I also ran the latest Windows Vista Updates later that day - I have SP2. Since that time I started being unable to access the Internet. I've been running Online Armor free version because I haven't renewed that license yet. I was trying to decide to stay with it and the Windows Vista issues that occur, or change to Emsisoft Internet Security.

I have the latest version of Online Armor installed - 7.0.0.1886 too because I wanted to rule out various problems. Whenever I now have the Online Armor Firewall enabled I can't access the Internet on this laptop. When I turn off the OA firewall after 20-30 seconds or so I can access the Internet again. Windows network repair reports a firewall may be blocking "domain" and I need to fix the following: 

Policy Provider: -
Filter Name: Transport Inspect ALE Classify

I have no idea what this is exactly or how to fix it? All I know is with the OA firewall on I can't access the Internet and with the OA firewall turned off I can access the Internet. I'm using a wireless connection to a Zone Alarm router.

I've gone through all the permissions and can't spot anything being blocked that would cause the firewall to deny my laptop Internet access. I just know when I turn the OA firewall off I have Internet access again. I can leave the rest of OA functioning. I don't recall any other changes recently besides reinstalling EAM and the latest Windows Vista updates. I have told both EAM and OA to ignore both program folders. My hosts file has not been changed. EAM does not show any infections.

I can't figure out why the Online Armor firewall is blocking my laptop from Internet access? Internet access is working for my other devices. I don't have Online Armor on any of them. I use my laptop for more sensitive work and wanted the extra control of a software firewall. I have Windows Defender and Windows Firewall both turned off.

Hello,

did you try a fresh reinstall of Online Armor Free? If not please uninstall Online Armor in your Windows control panel. Is this done please reboot your computer twice to remove all old Online Armor drivers. After the second reboot please install Online Armor again. Now your internet access is working as expected?

Disclaimer *

My apologies if this is the wrong place for me to post. I read the forum rules, but was not sure if expressing I had a similar problem would be considered "Hijacking" another persons thread. Feel free to move it if so, thanks.

-----

This inability to connect to the internet with OA on has happened to me alot, and I just resigned to the fact I need to go into OA/program files and delete the Firefox entry then click the page I was trying to access again and it will ask permission for the domain I'm going to then works most of the time.

For some reason the domain permission window doesn't always pop up unless I do that.

If  the first solution doesn't work I right click on the network icon, go to network and sharing center/change adapter settings/disable local area connection and then reenable it, and let the network identify again. That usually always works, I have no clue why, but found out about it through frustration and have been doing it for a long time.

It's possibly how I configured OA, since i usually restore settings when I reinstall OA, but not sure.

Note: with these little problems, OA is still my favorite firewall. Love the Firewall status window, and the ability to block some countries in firewall/restrictions tab that have been probing me alot  (OA doesnt report the probes, but I've seen them in other progs and know which countries have been doing alot of it).

Also please keep in mind that Online Armor is not compatible with the 64bit version of Vista at all. I am surprised that your system is even remotely functional to be honest. Online Armor only supports the 64bit versions of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

I bought OA with EAM as a bundle originally and was told it was compatible, by compatible meaning only EAM I found out later the hard way as you have pointed out. A few updates ago everything was working better again including the OA with my system. There were only occasional problems with things like certain Windows Updates with OA. Which, along with getting the impression you were going to discontinue it for Internet Security, I did not renew the license for OA.

I thought about uninstalling OA again and trying to reinstall it but not sure I wanted to go through that again. It might be smarter now for me to change from EAM to Emsisoft Internet Security. Is there any money-saving offers to update from EAM to Emsisoft Internet Security? I just renewed my EAM license.