jjfoto

Recommendations for additional security software besides Emsisoft Internet Security

It's working fine with just Emsisoft or just McAfee. McAfee said I needed to choose, they offered no solution. I was on the phone for 30 minutes and chose Emsisoft, but I have paid for both software packagese. So I wanted a refund. They said they would arrange that after the long talk we had. They said they call me back, they didn't. I like this forum, most of you are answering quickly and helping out. That's why I choose to stay with Emsi. Do you have other software recommendation next to EIS? Cause I want my pc to be secure and safe. Thnx so far

Hi, 

I already replied to your inquiry with a possible solution here. :)

In my experience EIS is more than enough when it comes to protection; adding too many security programs may slow your computer down and usually doesn't result in a better protection. 

• Upvote 1

Elise, I see all you use is EIS, makes things simple. However for any Wilders members such as Peter, Siketa and myself, we are obliged to follow the unwritten secret code, that is to try every security product known to man, preferably 3 or 4 at a time.  :D

I'd be interested in finding out what other Emsisoft staffers use. 

Actually, I use EAM, not EIS. :P (I don't like software firewalls and consider my router firewall plus Windows firewall enough). 

Being somewhat involved in the malware removal community myself, I've tried out pretty much everything myself. Security products are in a way also a personal choice of course, so that plays a role as well, but generally speaking what we want is "not get infected".

Regarding specifically to McAfee since that was discussed in this topic; unfortunately its depressing to see how many computer problems (crashes, freezes, slowness, errors, internet problems and so on) are fixed by the advice "please uninstall McAfee". So much so that in the malware removal community, if you see a topic where a user is complaining about such problems and McAfee is installed, the first advice is usually just that. It is a shame that they do not take this more serious and try to improve on it.

• Upvote 1

ROFL.  Good one Digmor.  But actually I don't do that.  One thing that is a biggie for me is I have to trust the vendor, and I also wouldn't trust McAfee.  Also I consider that I have client financial info on my machines, so I try to leave nothing to chance.  What I run along side EIS is:

Appguard.  It makes no attempt to classify software as good or bad, but just  blocks or allows things based on policy.   It is very effective

NVT ERP.    Classic anti executible with some excellent twists for both useablity and protection

Sandboxie.    Simply wouldn't browse without it.

ShadowDefender.    When I need to test something nasty and on my desktop, I shadow all 3 drives.

Hitman PRo Alert.   Mitigation protection, but also features that are unique

Couple of points.  1) amazingly all this works together without any drag on the computer.  2) I don't rely on scanning as much as does the software stop real maleware  3) If one of the programs requires a decision, am I still protected if I make a mistake.

Oh one last thing.  The real key to protection is backup backup backup especially since I do a lot of beta testing.

Pete

For me is

Emsisoft Internet Security + Malwarebytes Anti Exploit premium = beast protection agaisnt virus/malware and exploit as well

On demand = Malwarebytes Anti Malware, Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit, Kaspersky TDSSKiller, SUPERAntiSpyware,Adwcleaner, Dr.Web CureIt!, HitmanPro, Norton Power Eraser,and Zemana Anti Malware

That's pretty much i use every week, also you might want to back up your files and documents in case of something goes wrong. Matter of fact, the real antivirus is you as the user because computer cannot get infected without you manipulated the computer action.If you practice safe surf and not stupidity enough to download and install some piece of shit random prono stuff, then pretty much you are safe. But if you are super paranoid person that don't know whether the site is clean, you can use virustotal.com to check whether is clean or not before process your action. Is sounds compilcated, but hey better be safe than sorry right? and i doubt you rather waste 5 minutes to check the site than spend $100+ or 5 hours to remove the malware/virus.

They are still two separated products but MBAR anti-rootkit technology was recently built into MBAM as well.

From my experience...it has lots of FPs.

You have to be careful when selecting what to clear and what to leave.

Hi,

i was just wondering if herdprotect may be  a good on-demand secondary scanner? 

I use zemana antimalware, so far so good.