Dan2

Windows 7 32-Bit and EIS/Is Hotfix Necessary?

Hello!  I wanted to find out if I can about switching from the Emsisoft Internet Security Pack of EAM and OA  to EIS.  I had attempted to do this at one time, however I could not finish the installation as I was told I would need a special Microsoft Hotfix for EIS to work.  This however was when I was running Windows Vista 32-Bit.  I had problems obtaining this and backed out.

I have since upgraded my system to Windows 7 32-Bit.  I was doing some reading on the forums about all the crashes occuring to people running EIS who have not installed the Microsoft Hotfix 2958399.  On one of the threads in the EIS forum entitled "Blue Screen", the Poster is given a link by Fabian to obtain this hotfix, as he is having the blue screen problem.  His computer is Windows 7 64-bit.

This appears to work for him.  He then asks about Windows 7 32-Bit, as to wether he would need this for his other Windows 7 32-Bit also.  He is told he would.  When he tries to get it, it appears he does not need it.  He is told he still will, but may have already obtained it elsewhere.  I went to the link to try to get this, but when I click on all versions, no 32-Bit version is shown.  There is an "86" Version (which maybe is it?) and 2 64-Bit ones.

My question is do I still need this, and if I do, what version do I obtain?  Also, can I still merge my EAM and OA licenses for a EIS license?  And would I still be able to get the free trial of EIS before I merge to test if I tried to download once before but never completed the install?  Thanks So Much

Thanks so much Alexstrasza!  I know as I was writing about the different versions, I began to remember reading something about the number 86 being for 32-Bit once.  I also was wondering if anybody had more info about the actual hotfix itself (what it actually does and is it safe) as there is a generic warning about it possibly causing computer instability and/or problems.  This makes me reluctant to install as I do not need any headaches as my computer is working relatively good, and I don't need any unnecessary issues developing because of this hotfix installation <_<

Thanks so much Alexstrasza!  I know as I was writing about the different versions, I began to remember reading something about the number 86 being for 32-Bit once.  I also was wondering if anybody had more info about the actual hotfix itself (what it actually does and is it safe) as there is a generic warning about it possibly causing computer instability and/or problems.  This makes me reluctant to install as I do not need any headaches as my computer is working relatively good, and I don't need any unnecessary issues developing because of this hotfix installation <_<

It is safe.  I have it on all my computers.  As an aside you should do backup imaging.  That way if any update causes problems you can simply undo them.

I also was wondering if anybody had more info about the actual hotfix itself (what it actually does and is it safe) as there is a generic warning about it possibly causing computer instability and/or problems.

The hotfix is safe, and is required on Windows 7 when Emsisoft Internet Security is installed (Windows will randomly crash if the hotfix is not installed).

I think it fixes an issue with closing TCP connections in Windows 7, however I can't find the specifics at the moment. If I remember right it had to do with data being sent over TCP connections that had been closed, which would crash the system.

The hotfix is safe, and is required on Windows 7 when Emsisoft Internet Security is installed (Windows will randomly crash if the hotfix is not installed).

I think it fixes an issue with closing TCP connections in Windows 7, however I can't find the specifics at the moment. If I remember right it had to do with data being sent over TCP connections that had been closed, which would crash the system.

I was able to finally find the hotfix file and ran it.  I then was able to successfully install EIS and am currently testing.  All appears well and I really like EIS.  So far no problems with it at all.  Thanks so much.