GreekMags

EIS not working properly

I could not open EIS today.

Decided to uninstall and reinstall (downloaded from the website today), which took several attempts.

The program seems to have reinstalled but it is not working correctly:

I can not update it

I have input the licence number but it is not showing the 'days to expiry'

I tried to switch EIS off and revert to Windows Defender until the problem is sorted, but I can't do this.

So I am stuck without any effective realtime malware protection right now and would appreciate some help.

The option to use SSL encryption for communication with our update/license servers may be have something to do with the update problem you are experiencing. Please try the following, and let me know if it helps:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Privacy in the menu at the top.
  • Turn off the option that says Use SSL encryption for all server communication.
  • Click on Overview in the menu at the top.
  • Move your mouse in the gray box in the lower-left, and click on Update now.

I tried this but unfortunately it made no difference.

Clicking on Update Now just has the dots moving for a couple of seconds then nothing happening.

Should I change the SSL settings back again?

what does the "update log" show ?

Make sure that under "Settings>Updates>Proxy settings" you dont have "use proxy" ticked

"I tried to switch EIS off and revert to Windows Defender until the problem is sorted, but I can't do this." why not, may you tell us what exactly is going wrong at this step :)

(((

are you able to access the update/dl server ?

update.emsisoft.com -> should redirect you to emsisoft

dl.emsisoft.com -> should show error

if for some reason the domains wont work, please reply :)

))))

The Update log is showing Unidentified Error. As I said, the software was reinstalled a couple of days ago, so unfortunately no way of knowing what it might have shown before.

When I try to access Windows Defender from Control Panel I get a message saying 'This App has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer'. I have tried 'Closing Down Protection' in EIS but I get the same message. I know no other way to switch from EIS to EIndows Defender other than reinstalling EIS. If there is an alternative, can you please tell me. 

'Use Proxy' is NOT ticked.

Opened a tab and went to update.emsisoft.com, which took me to http://www.emsisoft.com/gr (I am in Greece)

It looks like another User is having the same problem. This is the thread:

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/17411-not-installing/

This User has been advised to run Emsiclean. Should I try this too?

Lets try getting a log from Fiddler, and see what it shows. Please download and install Fiddler 2 from this link (this is the version that requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0), and then follow the instructions below (steps #4 and #5 can be skipped if you didn't turn SSL back on):

• After installing Fiddler, please open it from the Start Menu.
  • Launch Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Turn off the option that says Use SSL encryption for all server communication (this is necessary for Fiddler to be able to record the update process).
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top
  • Click on the Proxy settings button on the right side, in the middle.
  • Check the box that says Use proxy.
  • Enter localhost in the Server field, and then enter 8888 in the Port field.
  • Click OK.
  • Click the Update now button above the Proxy settings button.
  • After the update fails, go back to Fiddler, and to File, then Save, and select All Sessions (please save it on your desktop).
  • Please send me the Fiddler log in a Private Message (do not post in in a reply).
Note that you may need to ZIP the log to be able to attach it to a Private Message. If you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

I'm not seeing anything from Emsisoft Internet Security in the log. Lets try getting a log from Fiddler, and see if it shows anything relevant. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

Please download the following fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

fixlist.txt

NOTE: It's important that both files, the FRST download from earlier and the fixlist file, are in the same location or the fix will not work. If you need to, please copy the files from your Downloads folder to your desktop.

• Run the FRST download from earlier, and press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs to restart your computer, please make sure you let the computer restart normally. After that let the tool complete anything it still needs to do.
  • When finished FRST will generate a log on the Desktop (Fixlog). Please attach it to a reply.
After that, please try the following as well:
  • Hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type in control netconnections and click OK.
  • Right-click on the network adapter, and select Properties.
  • Look for Emsisoft Network Filter or OA Helper Driver in the list.
  • If you find either of them, click on it to select it, and click on the Uninstall button (if both are present then please uninstall both).
  • Please be sure to restart your computer when done.
Please try the updates again after that, and let me know if that helped.

Can you take a screenshot of everything that is listed in your network adapter's properties for me? It's possible that something else is causing problems.

I don't see any other network filters in the list. Lets try getting a traceroute to our update servers. Please download the attached ZIP archive:

traceroute_batch_file.zip

This ZIP archive contains a batch file named traceroute_emsisoft_update_servers. After downloading the ZIP archive, please extract the batch file (you can right-click and select to "Extract all"), and run the traceroute_emsisoft_update_servers file as an administrator (right-click and select to "Run as administrator").

The batch file will run a traceroute to our updates servers, and check some DNS information, while saving that information to a log on your computer. Once it is done, it will open that log in Notepad. You can save this log in Notepad on your desktop, and then send it to me as an attachment to a Private Message.

Please try uninstalling Emsisoft Anti-Malware, and then download Emsiclean from this link (save it on your desktop) and follow the instructions below:

• When running Emsiclean, you will first be presented with a disclaimer. You will need to accept this disclaimer to continue.
  • Emsiclean will scan your computer for leftovers after the uninstall, and give you the option to remove what it finds. Please do not allow it to remove anything at this time.
  • In the lower-right corner will be a button that says Close Emsisoft Clean. Click on that button to close the program without making any changes to your computer.
  • Emsiclean will save a log on your desktop as it closes (it may take a moment for the log file to appear). Please attach that log to a reply for me to review (you can access the forum's attachment controls by clicking on the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply).

Are you able to activate the free trial? If so, then we can get some logs from Fiddler to help us determine what is causing the issue with your license key.

After activating the free trial, Please download and install Fiddler 2 from this link (this is the version that requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0), and then follow the instructions below:

• After installing Fiddler, please open it from the Start Menu.
  • Launch Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Turn off the option that says Use SSL encryption for all server communication (this is necessary for Fiddler to be able to record the update process).
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top
  • Click on the Proxy settings button on the right side, in the middle.
  • Check the box that says Use proxy.
  • Enter localhost in the Server field, and then enter 8888 in the Port field.
  • Click OK.
  • In the menu at the top, click on License.
  • Click on the Change license button (make sure that Fiddler is still running before you do this), click the Enter license key button, enter your license key, and click Next.
  • After receiving the error message, go back to Fiddler, and to File, then Save, and select All Sessions (please save it on your desktop).
  • Please send me the Fiddler log in a Private Message (do not post in in a reply).
Note that you may need to ZIP the log to be able to attach it to a Private Message. If you don't have a utility such as 7-Zip, WinZip, or WinRar that you can ZIP files and folders by right-clicking on them, going to Send To, and clicking on Compressed (zipped) Folder.

The Fiddler log shows that you entered an Emsisoft Internet Security license key into Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Please try the following, and let me know if it works:

• Uninstall Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
  • Restart your computer twice.
  • Download and install Emsisoft Internet Security from this link.