wojtek

Will Online Armor work after 31st March 2016?

I have a question: after 31st March 2016 will I be able to use Online Armor

on my PC or not?  What will happen exactly?  There is a number of firewalls

which work quite well though they are not supported, such as Kerio or Sygate.

Of course, the database and the program components will not be updated,

and so on, but will the program (OA) work, disconnected from the Emsisoft servers?

That is very unlikely. Online Armor requires various server side backends to work properly which we do plan to shut down on March 31, 2016 as well. These systems are responsible for licensing, cloud lookups, updates and some of the banking mode features.

i think the programm will work, but it does not make any sense using Online Armor without actually updates, in my opinion.

Hi!

Yes, but the firewall will work! even without database updates, it's better than Windows firewall!smile.png

I wonder will it work HIPS, antikeylogger and web filter?

Or all 4 components - only the firewall?

Perhaps I would have stayed with OA even if it is only the firewall!

The HIPS component of Online Armor inquires a lot of whitelisting information from the servers, so when Online Armor reaches end of life (and the servers dismantled) then any remaining copy of the app will literally ask the user for information on every step of the way since it no longer gets any whitelisting information. To me this is both annoying and dangerous because you can let malware through by accident.

What makes Online Armor shine is the HIPS component, not the firewall - so I think it is better that you switch to EIS or use another firewall product when Online Armor finally meets its time.

The HIPS component of Online Armor inquires a lot of whitelisting information from the servers, so when Online Armor reaches end of life (and the servers dismantled) then any remaining copy of the app will literally ask the user for information on every step of the way since it no longer gets any whitelisting information. To me this is both annoying and dangerous because you can let malware through by accident.

What makes Online Armor shine is the HIPS component, not the firewall - so I think it is better that you switch to EIS or use another firewall product when Online Armor finally meets its time.

Comodo firewall also a good third party firewall as well. However, it requires user knowledge and experience, so it more suitable to advanced user but not typical beginner user. Matter of fact, EIS is integrated with EAM and new Online Armor so i don't know why people keeps using EAM + OA. Also, i think Windows Firewall is all you need for these days unless you visit over 20 malicious websites or install over 20 malicious applications. If you are one of that person then i recommend get EIS or something equivalent to it. Just to let you know, Comodo firewall have tons of settings so it probably going to drive you crazy if you don't know what they heck they are mean.

The HIPS component of Online Armor inquires a lot of whitelisting information from the servers, so when Online Armor reaches end of life (and the servers dismantled) then any remaining copy of the app will literally ask the user for information on every step of the way since it no longer gets any whitelisting information. ...

This is essentially correct. Without updates to the whitelist and blacklist of digital signatures, the HIPS in Online Armor will not be as secure, and you will probably start having problems running legitimate applications after a while.

And any new information about supporting WinXP after 8th April 2016?

I mean EIS, of course,

It would be nice to know, if you like to plan your security solution. :)

And any new information about supporting WinXP after 8th April 2016?

I mean EIS, of course,

It would be nice to know, if you like to plan your security solution. :)

Support for Windows XP and Vista will be dropped.

Thanks for that update re XP, Fabian, as that is precisely the setup I currently use with OA and would be using with EIS until the time comes when I decide to augment my chromebook with a newer so called "real" computer OS.

Thank you.  Could you please precise whether after 08.IV.2016

you will provide signature updates for older versions of EIS working on WinXP? 

It's a shame Emsi drops Online Armor.

@Christian Mairoll

You mentioned expert programmers who would have to work for free in the blog comments. Why don't you just hand out the OA code base to the open source community? There are plenty of great coders who would continue to work on the software I'm sure. Or is it just that you want free working people and still get money from the sales?

I bought EIS sometime last year and went back to EAM plus OA immediately because the EIS firewall's handling and options were not good with way too little information coming from the software. After many years, I most likely will let my EAM license run out and no longer be your customer. I know you don't care, but customer satisfaction is what brings you long term income. The EIS firewall doesn't satisfy my requirements. So if you don't improve and extend the functionality of the included EIS firewall within the next months, our relationship will most likely come to an end. It's a pity.

So long!

You mentioned expert programmers who would have to work for free in the blog comments. Why don't you just hand out the OA code base to the open source community?

Online Armor depends on multiple third party components. We do have the rights to use those components, but we can't redistribute them which would be necessary for the code to be useful to anyone. The actual firewall part of Online Armor is based on one such third party component for example. So if we were going to release Online Armor as open source, the firewall part would be missing. Major parts of the HIPS would be missing as well, as the HIPS depends on a third party API hooking engine. Bottom line, Online Armor with everything we don't have full rights on removed, would be completely dysfunctional and not useful to anyone. You couldn't even compile it, leave alone run or use it.

Thanks Fabian Wosar. I see the point. Now then is there any chance you somehow implement the things we all love about OA in EIS anytime soon, if at all? An OA-like expert mode for example?

Thanks Fabian Wosar. I see the point. Now then is there any chance you somehow implement the things we all love about OA in EIS anytime soon, if at all? An OA-like expert mode for example?

That is highly unlikely, sorry.