vance17

No network after hibernation

I was using EAM10 (and before EAM9) flawlessly on my notebook and on my desktop computer (both have W8.1 x84) until I decided to merge my EAM and my (not used) OA licences into EIS. 

Desktop PC: I select hibernation manually, Windows saves everything and switches off. After power on Windows resumes and ... I don't have any network connection. Ping displays general failure for any IP addresses, EIS10 UI freezes when I try to switch off the firewall.

Notebook: hybrid sleeping is enabled so when I close the lid and Windows goes into sleep mode. If I open the lid before the computer hibernates, everything is OK. If not, then I have the same network problem as with my desktop PC.

I've tried to switch off IES10 firewall before hibernation, but it doesn't help. Nor switching off EIS10 firewall and enabling Windows firewall. I've already reinstalled EIS10 on both machines with and without using EmsiClean.

What should I do?

Please try the following, and let me know if it helps:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on the Factory defaults button near the upper-right.
  • Make sure that only the option labeled Global firewall rules is selected.
  • Click the OK button to apply the changes.

No, it didn't help (at least on my desktop computer).

I can ping localhost but no other IP addresses. Any application trying to use network gets ERROR_NETWORK_UNREACHABLE (1231) or WSAENETUNREACH (10051) error.

I've built a small C++ test application: WSAStartup() succeeds, socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP) succeeds, and connect() fails with error code 10051. After some testing rounds with different IP addresses an EIS popup appeared: An unexpected internal processing error occured. Please contact the support team.

We're aware of that particular issue, and we hope to be able to publish a fix in a beta update in the near future. For now you may need to turn off the firewall when pinging just to work around the issue.

As I mentioned in my first post: switching off the EIS firewall is not a solution for this problem. With or without firewall I have no network after resuming from hibernation, so EAM != EIS with switched off firewall in this situation.

How can I split my EIS key into EAM and OA keys or temporarily downgrade it to EAM key? Everything was perfect using EAM before I've merged my keys. I cannot reinstall EAM because I've used the trial period about a year ago on both computers.

You can uninstall the network filter driver by doing the following, which will solve all network issues related to the firewall in EIS (since the firewall will no longer be able to filter network traffic). Here's how to do that:

• Hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type in control netconnections and click OK.
  • Right-click on the network adapter, and select Properties.
  • Look for the Emsisoft Network Filter in the list.
  • If you find it, click on it to select it, and click on the Uninstall button.
  • Wait for a minute or two for it to uninstall, then try a web browser and see if it works.
There is no way to switch to Online Armor, as even if I generated a license key for you it is no longer possible to activate it (Online Armor license activations were cut off after May 31st).

I can give you a license key for EAM, however with the network filter driver uninstalled then your issue should disappear. If it doesn't, then turning off the firewall while the network filter driver is not installed should disable all firewall functionality.

Thanks, that worked (at least on my desktop computer, I haven't tested it on my notebook yet). I've uninstalled the network filter driver, switched on Windows firewall and everything is OK after a hibernation-resume cycle.

I've also enabled beta updates. Will the next program update reinstall the network filter driver or not?

Will the next program update reinstall the network filter driver or not?

No, that will need to be done manually. It should download the fwndis64.sys driver the next time it updates, and ask you to restart your computer, however it won't actually install it for your network adapter.