RichardBurt

Windows 10 and EIS10

With Windows 10 due to be released at the end of July I reinstalled EIS10 to see how it was doing with compatibility.

My laptop has Windows 10 build 10130 installed, Intel I5 processor and 256GB SSD drive - amply fast enough for day-to-day use.

After installing EIS10 though it ground to a halt. Boot up *very* slow, shutdown *very* slow, a very noticeable delay between logging in and the desktop / start screen being ready to use.

I'm hoping that EIS 10 is still being refined for the release of Windows 10???

I wouldn't recommend running EIS on Windows 10 since it's still Technical Preview, since the firewall driver can run into trouble.

If what I remember is correct, Emsisoft will start working on Windows 10 support when it reaches Release Candidate.

Which KB is it Peter? I know there was one I didn't allow but there must be another I missed. Did the Windows icon go away?

It is KB3035583,  and yes it went away.    After today, there will be no Win 10 in my future until they make one significant change.  That is they allow you to set windows updates as they are now.   In the current 10 there is no turning it off, and I had an update in the middle of work.  That is unacceptable.

Yes, Fabian's answer on this topic is probably the best.

Keep in mind of course that when an operating system is a "Technical Preview", it's an early and possibly unstable release that's just there to show off some of the proposed changes and features, and you should expect to see problems and weird quirks that you don't experience on stable releases of the same brand of operating system. ;)

If you have the Pro version of either Win 7 or Win 8 you do get the option to decide when to install Win updates.

But you don't with Win Home Premium versions.

@RichardBurt

please see here

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/17495-windows-10/#entry132546

The only  option is to delay reboot.  I updated my desktop install from 10074 to 10130.   There are 3 processes.  1) Download, 2 "Preparing for install"  and 3) Rebooting when the actual install takes place       The only control you have is delaying the reboot, none over the first 2.    So you work away with these going on in the background..    I had 1 BSOD on the download and during the "preparing" phase I had 2 BSOD's.    The install appeared okay, but so much didn't work, I don't know.  Well done Microsoft.

Hey Fabian.  Think  you guys could write an operating system?

Hey Fabian.  Think  you guys could write an operating system?

I have a feeling that Fabian doesn't have that kind of free time... ;)