beecee

A2CMD Over Network

Hi Christian, I am trying to do a similar task, and I think you may have misinterpreted what the OP meant.

I want to script a LOCAL scan of a remote machine; copy the EEK folder to it from a network share (check), update the defs (check) and finally run the scan either as a quick or a deeper scan. The issue I'm having is getting console output back to the engineer's console in order to interact with the session, if necessary. Any advice on how to do that? We're trying to script it using PowerShell.

Thanks in advance.

Are you trying to start the scan from a computer other than the one the scanner will be executing on? For instance, you have a server, a workstation, and you want to execute A2CMD on the workstation but you want to issue the command to execute it from the server?

Hi Arthur,

Yes, I'm trying to start a2cmd remotely from the server. Previously I had used psexec to do it, but Powershell has a different way to do the same natively. The process starts on the workstation, but try as I might, I can't get the console output to show on the server.

I have also tried to read the logs as the program is executing to give the engineer SOME idea of what's going on, but as far as I can tell they're in memory until the process completes & are written out to the logfile I specify in the command. Is that so, or am I just not finding the tempfiles?

Logs should be written once the scanner is done. Outside of the console output, there shouldn't be any other real-time information coming from A2CMD.

We don't really support running the software remotely through Power Shell, so we can't guarantee that you'll be able to see the output that way. You may need to use some sort of software capable of capturing screen images, such as Remote Desktop or any number of various screen capture/remote access tools, or perhaps monitor disk activity on the workstation to keep track of when the scan starts and stops.