Offline Sword

Potential conflict with win7 gadget

I am using a clock gadget provided by windows 7 Pro (x64).

I find that, after I install EIS (10), sometimes (not always) the clock gadget does not appear when I start up the computer.

I cannot find anything related to this issue in the log of EIS.

I have ever used this clock gadget with Mcafee Internet Security, Avira Pro and Bitdefender Internet Security, but none of them causes such a problem.

So I guess this is a bug of EIS.

I don't use gadgets at all since they are considered a security risk, and Microsoft has released a fixit to remove them completely from Windows 7 installations.

To be honest I would recommend that you use a third-party solution if even MS does not want people to use its own product :)

I assume this is the default clock gadget that looks like an old-fashioned circular clock with two hands? Or is it one that you downloaded from Microsoft's website?

• Upvote 1

I assume this is the default clock gadget that looks like an old-fashioned circular clock with two hands? Or is it one that you downloaded from Microsoft's website?

I mean the default clock gadget. Attached please find a screenshot of it.

post-34940-0-81803300-1433592669_thumb.png
Download Image

I don't use gadgets at all since they are considered a security risk, and Microsoft has released a fixit to remove them completely from Windows 7 installations.

To be honest I would recommend that you use a third-party solution if even MS does not want people to use its own product smile.png

Thank you for your suggestion. But I get used to it.

Please let me know when this problem is solved.

Because this bug occurs with a very small probability, (it has only occurred 3 times until now), I cannot confirm whether this bug is fixed by myself.

I tried adding the clock gadget to the desktop in Windows 7 x64, and installing EIS, then restarting a number of times. I was never able to reproduce the issue.

Do you have any other security software (anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, etc) installed?

• Upvote 1

I tried adding the clock gadget to the desktop in Windows 7 x64, and installing EIS, then restarting a number of times. I was never able to reproduce the issue.

Do you have any other security software (anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, etc) installed?

I agree that this problem is difficult to reproduce.

The only two security softwares installed on my computer are EIS and Sandboxie (Free version 4.18). Moreover, sandboxie will not be launched automiatically in the start-up period of windows.

How reproducible is the issue for you? We can get debug logs for it, but if it's a rare issue then those logs may end up being rather large and contain a lot of information.

• Upvote 1

How reproducible is the issue for you? We can get debug logs for it, but if it's a rare issue then those logs may end up being rather large and contain a lot of information.

As mentioned in #6,  this bug occurs with a small probability.

I installed EIS in May 29th. Starting up the computer one or two times in each day. This problem occurs only 3 times until now.

We can go ahead and try getting debug logs. In order to do this, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at the this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • Wait until you are able to reproduce the issue with your clock gadget.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Attach the ZIP archive containing the logs to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After posting the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.

• Upvote 1

We can go ahead and try getting debug logs. In order to do this, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at the this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • Wait until you are able to reproduce the issue with your clock gadget.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Attach the ZIP archive containing the logs to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After posting the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.

So complicated...

I will do this and post the log when this problem happens again.

Thank you.smile.png

Actually, it might be a better idea to send the debug logs to me via a Private Message. Especially since there will be so much information in them, due to the amount of time it will take to reproduce the issue.

Actually, it might be a better idea to send the debug logs to me via a Private Message. Especially since there will be so much information in them, due to the amount of time it will take to reproduce the issue.

Thank you for your suggestion.smile.png