So basically I was wondering if malware in a winrar folder would be detected and deleted by Emsisoft Anti Malware because I have been infected by a program which is located in a win rar, when I scan it, it is not detected however when I extract it to the desktop it is detected so is malware in a winrar folder harmless?

Yes files that are zipped in an archive can't do any damage as they have no way to execute and infect the system unless they are extracted.

True but Emsisoft will also detect zipped files which are infected and if you don't trust it you can check it on Virustotal and when it's not detected you can make a submisson of it here. Just attach the files as a .zip or .rar file and it will be reviewed.

When you got new samples just attach them again in a reply of your own topic. :-)

Best of luck!

So basically I was wondering if malware in a winrar folder would be detected and deleted by Emsisoft Anti Malware because I have been infected by a program which is located in a win rar, when I scan it, it is not detected however when I extract it to the desktop it is detected so is malware in a winrar folder harmless?

Emsisoft Anti-Malware uses two scanning engines. Our own scan engine (A), and BitDefender's scan engine (B). Scanning inside of archive (such as RAR archives) is a feature of BitDefender's scan engine, and only things detected by the BitDefender engine will be detected in the contents of archives without first extracting them.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware uses two scanning engines. Our own scan engine (A), and BitDefender's scan engine (B). Scanning inside of archive (such as RAR archives) is a feature of BitDefender's scan engine, and only things detected by the BitDefender engine will be detected in the contents of archives without first extracting them.

So if Bitdefender dectect it, you can report it here?

So if Bitdefender dectect it, you can report it here?

As in a false positive? Any false positive reports related to the BitDefender engine have to be forwarded to their team for review. They don't let us edit their database for them. ;)

As in a false positive? Any false positive reports related to the BitDefender engine have to be forwarded to their team for review. They don't let us edit their database for them. ;)

So you guys using their engine and signature correct? Also, is so stupid for them not to let you guys edit their signature for false positives, that way it would be faster than send it to them. If i were them i would go ahead and let you guys edit the signature, as long the detection increase that would be mattet.

So you guys using their engine and signature correct?

Yes, we use it as a second opinion to back up our own anti-malware engine and database.

Also, is so stupid for them not to let you guys edit their signature for false positives, that way it would be faster than send it to them. If i were them i would go ahead and let you guys edit the signature, as long the detection increase that would be mattet.

BitDefender wouldn't be able to ensure the same quality of their database if they allowed their partners to modify it. While it does slow handling false positives down a bit, it doesn't actually cause any other issues.