Offline Sword

a2guard.exe remains in the "notification area icon list" after uninstall

Last week, I unistalled Emsisoft Internet Security, but today I find that "a2guard.exe" still remains in the "Notification Area Icon List".

post-34940-0-09816900-1435542955_thumb.png
Download Image

Since this icon does not actually appears in the notification area or the system tray, this is not a very serious problem, but I still want to know how to remove it from this list.

Thank you.

I would try Ccleaner and tick Tray Notification cache, remember when you tick this option it will set the tray notification back to default. 

• Upvote 1

I would try Ccleaner and tick Tray Notification cache, remember when you tick this option it will set the tray notification back to default. 

Thank you. I have tried this approach several times, but it does not work...sad.png

That list is not maintained by us but by Windows which will remember every single tray icon it ever saw in that dialog. I don't think there is an official way to clean those area up either, but you may want to ask Microsoft or ask within a more general purpose Windows community about that. In either way, we can't provide any support for it, which is why this thread is closed.

Last week, I unistalled Emsisoft Internet Security, but today I find that "a2guard.exe" still remains in the "Notification Area Icon List".

attachicon.gifNotification Area List.PNG

Since this icon does not actually appears in the notification area or the system tray, this is not a very serious problem, but I still want to know how to remove it from this list.

Thank you.

I don't think there is an official way to clean those area up either,

Hi, please forgive my opening this thread Fabian. :)  But there is a way to remove icons from the notification tray.

First: right click on the Taskbar. Select Properties.

Second: click on Customize in the area marked Notification area.

Third: Uncheck the item, Always show all notifications in the task bar.

Fourth: Scroll through the list above this showing all icons, and choose the action you wish to take from the drop down menu. 

Fifth:  Then click OK.

This should remove the old icon. Best of luck.

Edited by JeanInMontana
add omitted instructions

I don't really see how that would accomplish what the user asks (which is removing a tray icon from the list you see in the "Select which icons and notifications appear on the taskbar" screen), but sure. Thanks for your addition.

I don't really see how that would accomplish what the user asks (which is removing a tray icon from the list you see in the "Select which icons and notifications appear on the taskbar" screen), but sure. Thanks for your addition.

Follow the steps and you will see how it does what the user is asking. :)

Makes no difference. Maybe my VM is just messed up. It doesn't matter really. We are just causing the OP to receive pointless messages to a topic he considered closed almost a months ago. So we may just as well stop.

Makes no difference. Maybe my VM is just messed up. It doesn't matter really. We are just causing the OP to receive pointless messages to a topic he considered closed almost a months ago. So we may just as well stop.

Hopefully it will work for the OP. :)