Da Phu

Emsisoft causing delay internet connection.

On July 1st, i receive a important update from Emsisoft which is not really unusual for me, so i go ahead and install it. After its finish installed, it ask for reboot computer so i click yes, but after it reboot my computer i notice that my internet connection is delay from 1 second to 5 minutes. Matter of fact, the previous version does not do that, so i suspect must be a new update that causing my internet connection from 1 seconds to 5 minutes at the desktop. I also try to unplug the cable, but that did not solve my case.

I also experienced this issue after updating to the EIS beta version 10.0.0.5144 from .5409.  My delay for my wireless to connect to my router was around a minute.  I also noticed that it took Chrome about 8 seconds before I could type anything into the address bar.  This is with 2 SSDs in this computer.  These delays in the wireless connection and Chrome were experienced on 3 different Windows 7 x64 laptops.   I unticked the checkbox for "Enable beta updates" and checked for updates which upon a reboot put me back to 10.0.0.5409 and no issues.   I would be able to go back to .5144 if anyone from Emsisoft would like to have a look.

I also experienced this issue after updating to the EIS beta version 10.0.0.5144 from .5409.  My delay for my wireless to connect to my router was around a minute.  I also noticed that it took Chrome about 8 seconds before I could type anything into the address bar.  This is with 2 SSDs in this computer.  These delays in the wireless connection and Chrome were experienced on 3 different Windows 7 x64 laptops.   I unticked the checkbox for "Enable beta updates" and checked for updates which upon a reboot put me back to 10.0.0.5409 and no issues.   I would be able to go back to .5144 if anyone from Emsisoft would like to have a look.

Man i thought this was only me, but thanks goodness is not. I can confirm that my browser which is Google Chrome took about 15 seconds delay before i can type anything without lag. 

Can you disable Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit from running on startup, then restart your computer, and let me know if you continue to experience the issue?

Also, if you have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro, then you may want to do the same with it just to verify whether or not it is related to the issue.

Can you disable Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit from running on startup, then restart your computer, and let me know if you continue to experience the issue?

Also, if you have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro, then you may want to do the same with it just to verify whether or not it is related to the issue.

GT500, thanks for the suggestion. However, it did not solve my case so i assume is this beta update causing my internet connection delay from 1 second to at least 2 minutes at the log in screen through the desktop. Usually, my internet connection will establish once the log in screen appear on my Windows 8.1, and right now i have to wait like atleast 2 minutes on the desktop for the establish internet connection. Also, the browser seems to be little laggy as well, because i have to wait atleast 10 seconds to type smoothly on the Google address bar or else it will be laggy withing 8 seconds. So please, fix this immediately. 

I even uninstall Malwarebytes Anti Exploit, and it still did not solve my issue. Matter of fact, not only me are having this issue there's also 3 peoples in this forum that have the same issue as i had. 

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

GT500, please take a look at post #2 because his problem is same as mine. When he update to .5144, his and my internet connection and the browser get delay. So this mean, that there's something wrong with the update that causing this delay. Matter of fact, i will revert back to previous as this one is unstable and ridiculous waiting time for me.

Update: I revert it back to stable .5409, seems like it solve my delay internet connection and browser.

Jerky

there is nothing wrong with the update here.  And it doesn't matter if another user has the same problem.  You need to get them what they asked for or it will not be fixed.

Hi,

I have observed the same issue under W7 x64 SP1 with V 10.0.0.5514.

On my side internet connection was no longer possible !!

This seams specific to this new version I have installed recently (a PC reboot is requested).

The workaround I found is to uninstall the EMSISOFT Network Filter  "Service" on my Home Network (via Connection Properties sub menu).

Hope this issue fixed soon..

Jerky

there is nothing wrong with the update here.  And it doesn't matter if another user has the same problem.  You need to get them what they asked for or it will not be fixed.

Peter2150.

This is an issue with 5514.

Coming back to 5409 fix it in any case.

If you want to use 5514 , you have to uninstall EMSISOFT Network Filter SERVICE..

I got the same issue on all my PCs (W7 x64 SP1).

Peter2150.

This is an issue with 5514.

Coming back to 5409 fix it in any case.

If you want to use 5514 , you have to uninstall EMSISOFT Network Filter SERVICE..

I got the same issue on all my PCs (W7 x64 SP1).

Hi 100PIER

I hear you, but not everyone is having an issue.  I for one am not.  But in any case my point to Jerky is if Emsisoft isn't seeing the problem, then the only way they can fix it is if you guys get them the info.  I know, I've been there.

I would submit a ticket, and then get support the info they need.  Then the Dev's can see what is going on.

Cheers,

Pete

Peter2150, i wll try to run those tool when i have free time, but can i just send the logs to you guys instead of posting here? I don't feels like to share what i have on my drives to everyone. 

Hi 100PIER

I hear you, but not everyone is having an issue.  I for one am not.  But in any case my point to Jerky is if Emsisoft isn't seeing the problem, then the only way they can fix it is if you guys get them the info.  I know, I've been there.

I would submit a ticket, and then get support the info they need.  Then the Dev's can see what is going on.

Cheers,

Pete

Pete,

As internet connection is blocked somewhere with , mail also is blocked, internet is blocked,  so FRST infos can't be send you...

At the moment I stay with 5409 which is stable and allows me to use the net.. do mails and browse.

Curious what other security software you are running.  We are running the same OS.  Something is way different in our setups.

Pete

PS if you get online, don't send the FRST report to me, send it to GT500

Peter2150, i wll try to run those tool when i have free time, but can i just send the logs to you guys instead of posting here? I don't feels like to share what i have on my drives to everyone.

You can send the logs to me in a private message. ;)

To Jerky and 100PIER, for the internet connection issue, setting just the firewall to factory defaults fixed the network connection issue for me.    This setting in on the SETTINGS-GENERAL page.  Choose "Factory default" and only check "Global firewall rules". 

The delay in starting and using Chrome is still present.  Firefox and IE11 also show a delay but nothing like Chrome.   Initially I reverted back to build 5409 and all problems went away.   But this needs to be fixed and the only way to do that is to provide information to Emsisoft like Pete said.  I have send the FRST logs to GT500 and hope it might help to solve this or at least determine the next step.

I have disabled both HitmanPro.Alert and Appguard and Chrome is still very slow to be ready to use.

New beta did not change the Chrome behavior of taking 8-10 seconds before I can use it or type into the address bar.     Curious why build 5532 is marked as a stable update?  I suppose it is except for the people in this thread that are having issues.

Arthur you say it's a beta update and yet on the webpage there's a beta update for build 5532 and a stable update for build 5532.  I suppose what's posted last is the real one.   Anyway still having issues with Chrome x64 43.0.2357.132.

5532 was pushed to stable after a short testing phase.

Lets get some debug logs from Emsisoft Internet Security. In order to do this, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at the this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having with browser performance.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Attach the ZIP archive containing the logs to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After posting the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.

I don't see any debug logs attached to your post. Did you have trouble with uploading them?

Thank you. I have let one of our developers know about your logs.

BTW: One of our developers mentioned that on one of his systems, where no other software is installed, that Google Chrome takes 15 seconds to start. Have you checked to see if the issue happens when Emsisoft Internet Security isn't running? You can open Emsisoft Internet Security, go to Settings in the menu at the top, turn off the option that says Enable real-time protection at startup, and then restart your computer and Emsisoft Internet Security should not be running so that you can check how long it takes to start Google Chrome.

I can tell you that build 5409 did not have this problem and nothing else has changed on any of my computers, and all are configured identically.  At one time only 1 of the computers was running build 5514 which is when this problem showed up.  Earlier all 3 computers were running build 5514 and all had the problem with Chrome.  I reverted 2 of them back to build 5409 and the problem went away.   I will try your suggestion above later today.

Cactus5,
What is your default browser ?

On my side default browser is Palemoon_64bits.

I observe with new .5532 about at least a 10s delay at PC boot time to get the network connection established.

With .5409 i observed absolutely no perceptible delay when booting PC to get a network connection up and running (with the PaleMoon_64bits default browser).

I use no other security software application, only EIS appli. Windows 7 x64 firewall is deactivate.

However, I observe .5532 fixed the 'no connection' problem I had reported with the beta intermediate version. Now the network connection is well up and running BUT after a perceptible delay.

I use occasinnaly also some other browsers: Chromium_64bits (v45.0.2453.0), Vivaldi_64bits, IE11_64 bits, Firefox 32 Bits V39.

When browsing I don't observe any abnormal delay to surf.

GT500, I disabled the loading of EIS via your instructions and under those conditions, Chrome starts normally (at normal speed).  I then manually started EIS and Chrome was slow to use again. 

All 3 of these laptops use SSDs for Windows and another for the personal data that I keep separate from Windows so I am used to seeing things go pretty fast.  2 have 8gb of memory and one has 16gb.   These laptops respond quickly on all tasks.   The Chrome windows opens, but it seems to take some time to load the thumbnails and the extensions.   I only have 4 extensions installed in Chrome, Ghostery, Adblock, Canvas Fingerprint Block and Roboform.  This hasn't changed in over a year.  The plugins are the default ones provided with Chrome and I have Remote Desktop Viewer disabled and Flash set to click to play. 

100PIER, my default browser is IE11 x64 (enhanced protected mode).    Did you ever set the firewall to factory default in settings?   Doing that fixed the internet connection delay for me on all 3 laptops.

I typically use Firefox 39 x86 and Chrome 43 x64 stable release the majority of the time.

Here's instructions for restoring default Global Firewall Rules, since I don't see them in another post in this topic:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on the Factory defaults button near the upper-right.
  • Make sure that only the option labeled Global firewall rules is selected.
  • Click the OK button to apply the changes.

I set the firewall rules back to factory defaults when the first beta after build 5409 was released.  This is what fixed the long time to have the network connection come up and be usable.   It had no effect on the opening and usability for Chrome.

If I make Chrome my default browser, the problem still exists.  If I disable my 4 extensions one at a time and all at once, no difference.

Edit:  I just set the firewall rules back to factory default again, no change for opening and using Chrome.  Still the same 8-10 second delay before I can click anything, like the hamburger menu or type into the address window/bar.

I'm considering moving the posts about Google Chrome to another topic, since it's a different issue than the one this topic is about.

For now, I'm a bit curious as to whether adding chrome.exe to the whitelist in Emsisoft Internet Security as a Process exclusion has any effect on the performance issue. Here are instructions on adding processes to the whitelist in Emsisoft Internet Security:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security from the icon on the desktop.
  • Click Protection.
  • Select File Guard in the menu at the top.
  • On the right side, roughly in the middle, click on the Manage whitelist button.
  • In the box under Type click the little down arrow and select Process (you may need to click in the box for the arrow appear).
  • Click in the gray box below Item to make a button with three dots (...) appear, and then click the ... button.
  • Navigate to the directory where the files you wish to exclude are located, and double-click on one of them to add it.
  • Repeat the last 3 steps as needed to add each file to the exclusions list.
  • Click the OK button at the bottom when done, and close Emsisoft Internet Security.

Creating a new topic makes sense. 

I just added Chrome to the whitelist and it is whitelisted from all 3 protections, scanner, file guard and behavior blocker, it works normally.  Then I played around with different combinations in the whitelist being enabled and it appears that Behavior Blocker is the culprit.  If that is the only one unchecked, Chrome is back to opening slowly.   When I look at the logs under behavior blocker there are quite a few entries saying the app rule was modified for Chrome.  For example on 7 July, there is about 25 entries saying the app rule was modified.  Tonight is the first time I have added Chrome to the whitelist.

Looking back in the logs, the moderate sized groups of behavior blocker logs for Chrome's app rule modified started on 1 July which is when the first beta build (5514) after build 5409 was released.

I have the same problem with chrome since the last update. Also at the same time I got another problem - sometimes youtube videos and sound starts lagging like if I had 100% cpu load (which I dont have, cpu is at 10-20%) and youtube video starts randomly flickering. Mouse coursor is laggin too at the same time. Since all this happened right after EIS update I think it has something to do with the latest update aswell.

Running on windows 8.1, SSD with i7 and 32gb ram.

Edit: disabling behavior blocker works, like previous poster mentioned.

We do have a bug report open on this, so our developers will do what they can to determine the cause of the issue and get it fixed. ;)

I hadn't given it much thought, but like tasasas, I am unable to complete a video, it stops at some point and doesn't resume.   I tried the same video this morning that stopped with EIS, on another computer without EIS and the video played all the way through.  

I am willing to provide any data needed to help solve this or have a remote desktop connection to have a look if necessary.

Have you checked your Behavior Blocker logs to see if there is an abnormal amount of rules being created/updated for chrome.exe? Here's some quick instructions on checking the Behavior Blocker log:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on 'Logs'.
  • Click on "Behavior Blocker" at the top.
  • Click the 'Export' button in the lower-left to save it on your desktop.
  • Attach the log you saved on your desktop to a reply.

Would it be possible to get a copy of your logs.db3 file? You can sent it to me in a Private Message if you want. It should be in the following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Internet Security\Logs

We had a developer looking into this last week, and we were doing some testing. I haven't heard any status updates recently, however our developers will let me know if they need anything else. ;)

Yesterday or day before, Chrome updated to version 44 and the problem was unchanged.

Just a few minutes ago received the 10.0.0.5561 beta update and things are much better. Chrome is itself once again and working very quickly.  IE11 is a little slower but I believe that is normal.  Nice work EMSIsoft!  :D   Thanks much.  At this time I have no other issues, all is working well, network and browsers.

I'm glad to hear that the beta helped. Please be sure to let us know if you notice any issues with the beta. ;)

Things continue to work well since that last beta update.  I did notice several (5) entries in the behavior blocker log concerning Chrome stating "App rule modified" yesterday.  Is this normal?   I must admit that I hadn't checked the logs much at all previously because I had no issues at all.   

I did notice several (5) entries in the behavior blocker log concerning Chrome stating "App rule modified" yesterday.  Is this normal?

Yes, it is. I think it has something to do with the way Chromium spawns new processes with the same name.