beagle1957

Firewall net filter conflict with Realtek network controller?

I've been observing this since upgrading to EIS version 10 and it reached critical mass with yesterday's update.  I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1 64-bit on a Dell PC with an integrated  Realtek PCIe GBE Family network controller.using driver  version 8.1.510.2013,  I connect to the internet via ethernet cable.  

Since version 10, I have been noticing problems with my ethernet adapter being able to connect to the internet at system boot.  I would get a message that the ethernet connection was still in process of identifying the network.  Usually disabling/enabling the connection and/or rebooting the computer would restore my internet.  It didn't happen all the time, but the frequency kept increasing until yesterday's update, when I got the connection error on consecutive reboots.

In order to get my internet going, I temporarily uninstalled EIS and rebooted.  The internet connection came right up with the Windows built-in firewall on consecutive boot-ups.   I then installed Bitdefender Internet Security to see if the error would come up using another 3rd party firewall.  As of this morning, no connection error.

(It suddenly occurred to me that each increase in the frequency of my connection issue coincided with the install of a new version of EIS!)

I'd really like to reinstall EIS (I have the majority of a 2 yr license remaining!) but it would appear there is some kind of conflict between my Realtek network controller and the Emsisoft network filter at startup?

POSTSCRIPT - Reinstalled latest build of EIS.  The internet connection issue came back with a vengeance.

Lets try a fresh install of Emsisoft Internet Security, and see if that resolves the issue. Here's what to do:

• Uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Restart your computer twice.
  • Download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from this link.

Lets try a fresh install of Emsisoft Internet Security, and see if that resolves the issue. Here's what to do:

• Uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Restart your computer twice.
  • Download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from this link.

I already did the uninstall/reinstall.  Twice.  No effect.  After viewing all the recent posts about firewall issues since latest update, I have decided to abandon EIS for now.  I still have a good chunk of time remaining on my 2 yr. subscription, so I will continue to monitor the forum and perhaps return to Emsisoft at a some future date.

Would you like us to convert your license key to an Emsisoft Anti-Malware license key?

Since Emsisoft Anti-Malware doesn't have the firewall that Emsisoft Internet Security has, it won't cause problems with your network adapter. You can try the free trial if you would like, so that you can see whether or not you have issues. Here's a download link if you are interested.

Again, thanks but no thanks.  Given the multitude of complaints with the firewall, I really think Emsisoft should be concentrating on pushing out a permanent fix for the issue so the other affected users and I can use EIS with confidence again.  (It would be curious to see the brand/type of network adapter the affected users have.)

On another note, I installed EIS one more time and reset the global firewall rules as you have recommended.  It fixed the connection briefly (for one restart) but then I got the connection error plus started getting messages that Google Drive and Google Music Manager were incompatible with Windows???  Uninstalled EIS, all Google products are running just fine now.  Chrome, Drive, Music Manager - what is it with Emsisoft and Google?  

There are some known issues with Google Chrome and Emsisoft Internet Security that are currently being investigated by our developers. I have not seen any reports of issues with other Google software, and the issues with Google Chrome have not been reported by users of Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

As for the firewall issue, it sounds like one that our developers are also currently investigating. There was a recent update with many changes and fixes for the firewall in Emsisoft Internet Security, but unfortunately no major issues were reported during the public beta.