Scoobiedoo

Network Traffic Issues

Hi Guys

Noticed since the last update (I think) that the network traffic copying to a server (on the same network) nosedives.

Last night went to copy files over on a gb connection (all the way through switches and cables) and the speed is not even breaking 5mb intially rebooted the pc server and switches and still the same dissable the internet security software for 10 mins and straight up to 80 and 90 mb connection wise enable it and it drops again to not even 5 mb

Again issues with the software after the machine randomly rebooting loads of times a day a few weeks ago (full reboot and reinstall before i found out it was your software to thanks)

Any ideas suggestions etc to fix what ever was broken this time

Lets start by restoring the Global Firewall Rules to their defaults, and let me know if that help:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on the Factory defaults button near the upper-right.
  • Make sure that only the option labeled Global firewall rules is selected.
  • Click the OK button to apply the changes.

Ok done this and then retryed

The speed improves to about 8.5 mb transfer rate once i do that but dissableling the security for 10 mins and retry with the same file and its up to 86mb transfer rate which is about normal for the kit i have in place

Anything else to try?

Cheers

Before we proceed, I assume you have version 10.0.0.5532 installed? When you open Emsisoft Internet Security you can click on 'About' in the gray box in the lower-right corner to see the version number.

If you want the version number to be displayed on the Overview screen when you open Emsisoft Internet Security, you can do the following:

• In the gray box that says 'License', hold your mouse over where it says "Renew for free!".
  • A little 'X' will appear to the right of where it says "Renew for free!".
  • Click on the little 'X', and the version number will be shown instead.

Any other updates or suggestions here?

Now noticing the machine runs a bit sluggish preformance wise when using it webpages seem to stutter when loading given i am on a 80mb connection it shouldnt

One of our German support guys mentioned that a user was having similar issues when running Hyper-V. Do you use Hyper-V?

Lets get some debug logs from Emsisoft Internet Security. In order to do this, you will first need to run a batch file to enable debug logging. This batch file is contained in the ZIP archive at the this link (this ZIP archive also contains a batch file to disable debug logging).

Please save that ZIP archive on your desktop, extract its contents, and then follow these instructions:

• Run the enable_debug_output batch file (if your computer has Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 then please right-click on the batch file and select Run as administrator).
  • You will see a black window pop up, and then disappear very quickly. After that happens, please restart your computer.
  • Reproduce the issue you are having by transferring files or running an Internet speed test.
  • Once you have reproduced the issue, hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually in between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap the R key to open the Run dialog.
  • Type the following into the Run dialog, and then click OK:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Emsisoft
  • A window should open and you should see a Logs folder. Right-click on that Logs folder, go to Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Move the new ZIP archive you created with the logs folder in it to your desktop.
  • Attach the ZIP archive containing the logs to a reply by using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply.
Note: If you get an error message when trying to send the Logs folder to a Compressed (zipped) folder then you may need to try a utility such as 7-Zip or WinRar to compress the folder. Both 7-Zip and WinRar have options to create an archive and save it in another location (such as on your desktop), which should prevent the error message. Here are links to the download pages for 7-Zip and WinRar.

After posting the debug logs, you can run the disable_debug_output batch file (be sure to run it as administrator as well) and restart your computer again to disable debug logging.

Ok done this what I have noticed is the problem doesn’t start straight away after a fresh boot of the machine however I managed to catch something.

Was basic web browsing and then tried to transfer a file over the network the file did go at about half the speed (40 mb per second ish) but the windows media player tanked out and the music distorted heavily until the transfer completed and then went back to normal.

Its issues like that that I am seeing randomly I’ll scroll a webpage and it will freeze for a second or two and then go back to normal.  In some cases it sticks for longer and as soon as I disable the internet security its instantly back to normal until the 10 mins option runs out then it goes back to the same it does however appear to be worse when the machine has been on for a long period of time as well too

Logs.zip

What i have noticed as well i dont know if it helps or not but its seems to effect usb drives as well too transfer rated dip when the software is running dissable it and it jumps in terms of copy speeds for example 20mb/s up to 54mb/s

Is it just disabling the firewall that helps, or do you have to disable the Behavior Blocker and/or File Guard as well?

Quick update played about with the protection componants and first one i dissabled was the firewall soon as that was dissabled no issues were seen switched it back on and it was back to the sluggish non responsive issues seen

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows anything that might be related to the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

I'm having the exact same issue! Not sure when it started but it was one of the latest updates that did it I think. If I disable the FW component the problems goes away...

I guess I should ask if qBittorrent is running when you have the issue?

Also, I noticed something called BOINC, which if I am not mistaken is a distributed computing application that uses CPU processing time on volunteers' computers to perform calculations (presumably for research). Is BOINC running when you notice the issue?

Both applications are active qBittorrent is active but mauy not be running BONIC is running and working in the background

However both applications have always been running with no issues prior though

It's possible that some of the issues that were causing browser performance problems and other performance issues when torrents were download are also related to the issue you are having. Our developers are looking in to all of this, and hopefully will be able to resolve them soon.

There is the possibility this could be the case id be surprised though because nothing on my end has changed

However given i am running on a 80mb connection most of my torrents are finished in a matter of mins first thing in the moring when the issues strike it tends to be once the machine has been on a while and there is little network traffic down bar standard browsing

We published a beta update on Thursday that may help with some performance issues, although I'm not sure if it will help with firewall-specific issues. If you want to try it, then here's how to enable Beta Updates:

• Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, select the option for Enable beta updates.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

Still the same just seems to put the machine on a go slow like sounds are coming out of the machine like they are getting player at 1/8th normal speed when i am receiving notifications for email facebook etc

Lets try a fresh install of EIS, and see if that helps. Please feel free to make a backup of your settings before doing this (using the export settings option).

• Uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Restart your computer twice.
  • Download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from this link.

I unchecked "Activate memory usage optimization" and that seems to have helped on my laptop, at least for now. I'll monitor it and see if it comes back....

Still the same although not as bad but still noticeable when playing music nest way to describe it is that it sounds as if a track is playing at 3/4 normal speed

Jesper - tried that no difference still the same only way to sort it is to disable the firewall

Well, that didn't last long.. mine is back to a crawl again, can't reach 100Mbps when copying files to my NAS now... disabling FW restores normal performance.

We'll probably have to wait for our developers to look into this further. If they need any more debug information, then I'll let you know.

Ok still not happy with the program and add in the new not fully supported on windows 10 issues I'm starting to loose quite a bit of faith in this program and will be looking to switch to another once my subs are up I think

What irks me quite a bit is the fact I am paying for this service and its not the first time there has been issues and complications it just seems that the new all in one program bounces from one problem to another

Weirdly I never had any of these issues when the programs were separate

What sort of options do I have to get some form of extension to me subscriptions for the issues I have had with this program ?

Ok still not happy with the program and add in the new not fully supported on windows 10 issues I'm starting to loose quite a bit of faith in this program and will be looking to switch to another once my subs are up I think

What irks me quite a bit is the fact I am paying for this service and its not the first time there has been issues and complications it just seems that the new all in one program bounces from one problem to another

Weirdly I never had any of these issues when the programs were separate

What sort of options do I have to get some form of extension to me subscriptions for the issues I have had with this program ?

I can understand being upset, there have been irksome issues with the all in one for me also but usually work it's way out.   MS is notorious in making big changes just before launch that end up breaking things for software developers, it's happened over and over so no surprises there for me.  Honestly, the fact the firewall is the only thing not working is pretty good. As for other software, I've tried 7+ other solutions, norton, kaspersky, gdata, panda, avast, avira, etc ended up going with emisoft because the resource usage on my system is lower than kaspersky, better detection rates than avast (plus updates don't hork machines like avast has done twice), and doesn't allow virii to infect my machine like panda has done.   Don't let me stop you from looking for another AV just letting you know it's not a perfect world.   I would avoid norton and mcaffee only because you trade virus protection to only have your machine protected by a virus.   Removing norton from a machine is more painful than most virii.   Anyway, good luck. 

• Upvote 1

Send me your license key in a private message, and I'll see what I can do for you. ;)

There's nothing that's been released via public beta or stable update channels. Even if the firewall is turning on, it's not actually working, since one of the drivers won't load on Windows 10.

That was probably caused by the service not starting. Some people have experienced that issue on Windows 10 after the upgrade, however a reinstall usually fixes that. Basically everything but the firewall works fine on Windows 10, but since one of the firewall drivers won't load the firewall doesn't do anything and may not turn on. We hope to have that fixed as soon as possible.

As I mentioned in ratman's thread, I have experienced a similar problem with NNTP downloads in the past couple of weeks.

Using "Process Explorer" I was able to identify that the Emsisoft Network Filter (in the network adapter properties) was causing the "interrupts" process to take > 50% of the CPU.

This was confirmed by disabling the Emsisoft Network Filter: when disabled everything worked normally.

My solution was to delete - then reinstall - Internet Security, something that has unfortunately not worked for you.

OTOH it may be worth testing with "Process Explorer" as a means of identifying the problem.

• Upvote 1

At the moment i am not seeing any issues but i am certain that is because the firewall side of things isnt active yet as i have upgraded to windows 10 once it come back online i will then recheck and see if the issues are back or if they are resolved

My solution was to delete - then reinstall - Internet Security, something that has unfortunately not worked for you.

This could mean that you had an outdated driver that hadn't been updated properly. The reinstall would have resolved that by removing all of the drivers and replacing them with the latest versions. ;)