Zass

Behavior Blocker - why it slows my browser so much?

Hi,

I've started to look for some new IS software because of some problems with Kaspersky and I've decided to check Emsisoft. I've seen that it has good test results and it's supposed to be very FAST.

Well, I'm shocked what it has done with my browser - Opera. :) With Behavior Blocker enabled Opera works terribly! It starts longer, it opens websites significantly longer and e.g. when it loads new page in the background it has problem with highlighting the links on the currently opened site. Also extensions like Neater Bookmarks runs worse...

Can I do something with it? Should I disable BB for the Opera? Actually, Opera is allowed to perform all actions but on the list it's still shown as "monitored"...

Anyway, is it safe to allow the browser performing all actions?

IN KIS application monitoring was always enabled and it doesn't slow down my browser or any other app...

Normally the BB should not make any problems or slowing down when using Opera (newest version is 30.0.1835.88, I suppose you use that one?)

Have you now installed both, Kaspersky and EIS?

That will rise to problems.

Do you have the same slowing down with other browsers as Firefox, etc.?

IF you want to switch to EIS and get rid of Kaspersky I would do the following:

1. Make a restore point in Windows.

2. Deinstall Kaspersky AV and then use "kavremover" from here http://support.kaspersky.com/common/service#block1

Otherwise start here:

3. Uninstall Opera. Before that save your bookmarks and/or history and data from it!

4. "Re-set" Opera via deleting the folders C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Opera and C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Opera. You must do that for all accounts of Windows.

5. Install Opera new.

I also had problems with the speed of Opera, after uninstalling and "re-set" opera, the problem was gone. :)

No, of course I'm using only EIS now. :)

KIS was uninstalled with kavremover.

I'm using Opera 28 since I don;t lake what they have made with the UI... I know that I'll have to switch to something new in the nearest future. 

I didn't check other browser because I don;t use them, but I'll see how it works with the last Opera Developer...

Cleaning a profile sounds like a bit strange solution... :)

No, of course I'm using only EIS now. :)

KIS was uninstalled with kavremover.

I'm using Opera 28 since I don;t lake what they have made with the UI... I know that I'll have to switch to something new in the nearest future. 

I didn't check other browser because I don;t use them, but I'll see how it works with the last Opera Developer...

Cleaning a profile sounds like a bit strange solution... :)

I know what you mean: Opera is something like a chrome-clone nowadays since they abandoned their own engine a few years ago (now building on chromium).

If you don´t like the look anymore you might try vivaldi, a "reborn" slim Opera made by some of its former developers: https://vivaldi.com/

Nevertheless you should really update Opera AND delete the old profile. Often this solves all the problems.

Uninstalling, re-setting the profile by deleting the above mentioned folders, rebooting and a new installing of Opera take you 10 minutes. Afterwards you install the earlier used extensions/plugins again.

But honestly, it's a bit strange... does it mean that EIS has a problem with processing already installed applications?

I've checked the newest developer version of the Opera and the problem still exists also on this build. 

Browser lags are terrible at times... It seems that BB uses a lot of resources.

Well, I suppose that I have to look further for some good security suite :( EIS scans files really fast, but light real-time protection is even more important...

Well I don´t know what´s the problem to re-set Opera? There are only those 2 folders to delete, in the folders user C:\User\Username\Appdata\Local etc. and C:\User\Username\Appdata\Roaming etc.

I had the same problem: Opera´s weakpoint is the uninstalling-routine; I don´t know why but sometimes the opera-launcher.exe has a problem to open the newer opera.exe with the "right profil"  - after being updated. I can assure you that this happened to me more than once: Uninstalling and Re-Setting the profile did it!

If that is the starting point of the problem then everything is fine.

If not, then the staff will help you on Monday, but in any case you will know then if Opera is or is not the cause of the lagging browser/EIS issue.

In general there is the suggestion that you don´t define a new application rule (via protection --> application rules) for opera.exe because it is monitored anyway.

I have Opera 30.0.1835.125 and Opera 12.17 installed on Windows 7 x64, and am having no trouble with either of them. Some people have reported similar issues with Google Chrome, and it may be related. Our developers are looking into those issues at the moment.

May I ask what version of Emsisoft Internet Security you have installed? When you open Emsisoft Internet Security you can click on 'About' in the gray box in the lower-right corner to see the version number.

If you want the version number to be displayed on the Overview screen when you open Emsisoft Internet Security, you can do the following:

1. Open Emsisoft Internet Security.

2. In the gray box that says 'License', hold your mouse over where it says "Renew for free!".

3. A little 'X' will appear to the right of where it says "Renew for free!".

4. Click on the little 'X', and the version number will be shown instead.