crasey

Internet connection keeps dropping

After auto-updating to version 10 recently my wireless connection to the internet frequently drops out during use or after sleep/hibernation. Vista's built-in diagnostic typically repairs the internet connection but typically reports it finds nothing wrong. Leaving the Network and Sharing window open indicates the network re-identifies every few minutes.

Version 10 builds up to and including today's 5532 typically drop the internet connection with the EIS firewall enabled until I diagnose and repair or disconnect and reconnect to the network. I've never been able to completely solve the Vista network re-identifying issue but haven't had these frequent network dropouts before the EIS 10 update and reboot. If I turn off the EIS firewall and enable windows built-in firewall the wireless dropouts stop even though Vista keeps re-identifying the network frequently. I  reset the global firewall rules to the EIS defaults when I first started having problems with version 10 but that had no effect on the internet dropouts with the EIS firewall enabled. The only thing I've found that stops the dropouts is to turn off the EIS firewall and turn on the windows firewall which has worked fine for the last several days including sleep/wakeup cycles.

The EIS 10.0.0.5532 firewall continues to kill my network connection every time windows is "identifying" the network. Turning off the EIS firewall and enabling the windows firewall resets the connection and keeps the network connection active whether identifying or not. Every time I switch back to the EIS firewall the connection drops making the EIS firewall unusable on this machine. A problem I never had on any earlier version of EIS or EAM/OA. I see others are having network filtering or connection problems and that this build shouldn't have network connection problems but mine are persistent and easily repeatable. This problem started with the version 10 update. For whatever reason the EIS firewall is now unusable on this machine.

Wow.  I was getting the identical error you are on a wired ethernet connection with a machine running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.  See  https://support.emsisoft.com/topic/17734-firewall-net-filter-conflict-with-realtek-network-controller/for my sad tale.  My guess is that the EIS firewall's network filter is interfering with the initialization of the network adapter at startup,  

You can try going to Settings, General, clicking on Factory Default and checking the box for Global Firewall Rules.  It might help, although I suspect the Emsisoft developers are going to have to take a look at the firewall component and particularly the network filter before this is finally fixed for those of us having issues.

Lets try resetting the Global Firewall Rules to defaults, and see if that resolves the issue:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on the Factory defaults button near the upper-right.
  • Make sure that only the option labeled Global firewall rules is selected.
  • Click the OK button to apply the changes.

I tried the Global Firewall Rules reset multiple times before and after each of my earlier posts. FWIW when the network connection is "Identifying" it also says (Public Network) until it locks on to my named private network. The EIS 10 firewall will work for brief periods when locked on to my named private network but as soon as windows says "Identifying" (Public Network) the connection drops. With the windows firewall running and the EIS firewall turned off the network connection is fine no matter how often windows decides to re-identify the network.

These are the firewall rules after global default reset.attachicon.gifDefaultRules.jpg

Same rules I got after resetting the global firewall rules back to default.

Beginning to wish I could go back to EIS version 9, at least the firewall component...

... as soon as windows says "Identifying" (Public Network) the connection drops.

Does Windows have your network set as "Public" instead of "Private"? There's information about that, and how to change it, at this link.

No. The network in question is set to private. I'll see if I can snag a picture of what I was describing. I mentioned the public/private thing only because of what I was reading in another thread - sorry if it confused things. FWIW I've been through multiple reboots for windows updates and firefox crashes today so maybe that "restart twice" advice you guys often suggest may have had a positive effect.

For the last few days the windows firewall worked so well and the EIS firewall worked so poorly I just left it off unless troubleshooting. I'll give it another try for a while and see if I just had some glitch that multiple restarts may have cleared. Reinstalling was going to be my next action especially if I'm the only Vista user having trouble.

... maybe that "restart twice" advice you guys often suggest may have had a positive effect.

That particular advise is usually given due to the fact that when you uninstall EIS and reboot, not everything is always removed on the first reboot, so a second reboot is often necessary to ensure that everything was properly removed so that a subsequent reinstall will work without issues. ;)

With the EIS firewall enabled during the identifying cycle post-20112-0-39567400-1437229814_thumb.jpg
Download Image post-20112-0-52449800-1437229815_thumb.jpg
Download Image post-20112-0-66044300-1437229816_thumb.jpg
Download Image post-20112-0-51036700-1437229843_thumb.jpg
Download Image the internet connection drops typically drops during the public portion and doesn't reconnect until after the private portion has been re-established.

I noticed that I was running into the dropped internet connection most often after wakeup from sleep or during periods of inactivity so as a possible workaround I changed the hard drive sleep setting to "never" sleep on its own. Now the dropped connection problem occurs primarily after wakeup from intentional sleep periods. In that case as Windows wakes up with the EIS firewall enabled it resumes connected post-20112-0-51036700-1437229843_thumb.jpg
Download Image and then goes through the identification cycle with the internet connection typically dropping midway. With the Windows firewall enabled the internet connection does not drop after wakeup.

EIS is set to "Use Windows settings for new connections" and no "network adapters and connected networks" have been added.

With EIS 9 and earlier Vista and I didn't have these internet connection drops during use or after wakeup from sleep.

Still experiencing the periodic lost connection when windows decides to identify the network. When the connection hangs or drops its losing its connection to the DNS server and the DSL modem/router main page shows the gateway up. Resetting the laptop's wifi adapter to request a new IP address fixes it and often produces a more stable connection until I put the laptop to sleep and start all over.

One of our developers is asking the following:

1. Can you open a Command Prompt as an administrator, and run "ipconfig /all", and send us the output?

2. If you edit the firewall rules, and move the DHCP rule above the rule named "Traffic handled by application rules", does that resolve the problem? Here's some instructions for doing that:

• Click on 'Protection'.
  • Click on 'Firewall' in the menu at the top.
  • Click on the firewall rule for DHCP in the list to select it.
  • Click the "Move up" button to move the DCHP firewall rule above the one that says "Traffic handled by application rules".

OK, I let our developers know about your ipconfig info, and if they need any more information then they will let me know.

I don't see any difference from #11 and #12 after moving the DHCP rule up. My internet connection generally seems to remain stable as long as the laptop is awake. After wakeup the internet connection is unstable as it drops in and out of local only. Resetting the wifi adapter and requesting a new IP is the only thing that seems to stabilize the internet connection.

I did not have this problem with earlier versions of EIS and do not have this problem with the built-in windows firewall running with its default rules and the EIS 10 firewall off. I've been trying to compare the windows firewall rules to the EIS rules but I'm not smart enough to find anything obvious. I'll keep monitoring. Thanks.

I did some more troubleshooting after my earlier post while monitoring the Network Connections and Network and Sharing Center windows.

When I woke my laptop up at 5:39 pm the "Identifying Network" and dropped connection cycle began. Each cycle interrupted my internet connection and took 3 minutes to complete. Every 6 minutes (5:45, 5:51, 5:57, 6:03, 6:09, 6:15, etc) the "Identifying Network" and dropped internet connection cycle repeated. After 6 cycles thinking that I'd seen enough I disconnected from the network and then reconnected which stabilized my internet connection 1 minute later. As I write this my connection has been stable for about 2 hours. My experience over the last few days indicates it will remain stable until I let windows go to sleep when this will start all over again once I wake it up.

I'm just a user so it took me this long to figure out that keeping a window open to monitor connection status would allow me to see the repetitive "Identifying Network" and interrupted connection problem as it begins and ensure it stopped by resetting my network connection through the disconnect and reconnect process.

Trying to monitor network connection status with only the taskbar icon wasn't effective because the connection hangs before the icon shows local only or connection lost driving a user crazy trying to figure out why pages won't load during what turns out to be the 3 minutes it takes for the "Identifying Network" process to complete once it starts only to have it repeat 3 minutes later and every 6 minutes over and over and over again.

Trying to restore my internet connection and stop the "Identifying Network" cycle by clicking on Diagnose and Repair led to a variety of outcomes apparently depending on what was happening in the 3 minute "Identifying Network" cycle as I selected it. Windows either told me to reset the network adapter to fix intermittent problems or it told me it couldn't fix the problem or it told me nothing was wrong. Letting windows reset the adapter made the repetitive "Identifying Network" cycle stop while the system was awake. I also discovered that disconnecting and reconnecting was quicker.

So after 12 days of troubleshooting I've learned: the "Identifying Network" cycle interrupts network connections until complete using the EIS firewall (but not the windows firewall) and resetting or reconnecting my network adapter stops the repetitive "Identifying Network" cycle until my system is awakened from sleep mode. I appreciate your suggestions and continued attention to try and figure this out. The Hightower thread has helped my troubleshooting.

From my point of view the problem is repetitive and repeatable. I've tried to provide enough detail to help your developers see more clearly what the bug may be and how I can get past my workaround. Thank you for working it.

So just to make sure I understand exactly where we're at, this is only happening when waking the computer from sleep or hibernate?

100% of the time when waking from sleep. I have not tested hibernate and have not focused on after boot/reboot but will try that today.

Took longer than I thought to go through all the combinations of boot/sleep/hibernate using wired, wireless or both with the EIS firewall running. I disabled Malwarebytes and WinPatrol and uninstalled WinPrivacy before testing leaving only windows and EIS running. I also disabled the inoperative on board wireless connection you saw earlier on ipconfig.

Wakeup from hibernate on the EIS firewall is the same as wakeup from sleep - the repetitive ID cycles until the network connection is reset.

With EIS running and a stable wired or wireless internet connection after shutdown and boot I have no connection to either the gateway or the internet. Resetting the wired or wireless connections won't restore the gateway and internet connections. Once the EIS firewall is turned off and the ID cycle completes the connection shows local only until loading a page in the browser.

With the windows firewall running connections resolve after the ID cycle completes or the connection is reset.

Having to turn off the EIS firewall in order to get any network connection after boot leads me back to my initial impression that the EIS 10 firewall is breaking my internet connection in some way. It was the reboot after autoupdate to EIS 10 when I couldn't connect to the internet and had to cycle the EIS firewall and reset connections that I became aware something more than the usual software update glitches was going on.

Troubleshooting that uncovered the ID cycle quirks that may have distracted us from the main issue - no internet connection after boot and interrupted internet connections during network identification.

Thanks for continuing to work this. I hope I've provided a clear description of what I'm experiencing with Vista and EIS10.

I don't think I asked this earlier. Are you using 32-bit Windows Vista, or 64-bit? It might help us reproduce the issue if we know exactly what platform you experienced the issue on.

Thank you. I have let our QA Manager know, and we will do what we can to try to reproduce the issue in our own testing.

Thank you for continuing to work this.

FWIW as I continued to poke around I noticed under Manage Networks that the EIS firewall correctly reflects the connection status under category but reports my plugin wireless adapter and connection as a wired type.

post-20112-0-46791600-1438271601_thumb.jpg
Download Image

post-20112-0-38753600-1438271602_thumb.jpg
Download Image

It's possible it's reading the wrong data from a Windows networking API. I'll ask one of our developers about it.

This issue was fixed in a beta update yesterday:

http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/2015/08/11/beta-updates-2015-08-11/

Here's how to enable Beta Updates:

• Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, select the option for Enable beta updates.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

Tried the 5601 beta build which seemed to make things better. I read Christian's warning but didn't realize switching out of the beta channel would rollback EIS to the last stable build.I thought it would just stop downloading additional beta builds - my mistake. After uninstalling and reinstalling I opted to wait for the stable build which works normally except for a lengthy 7 minute restart. I'm assuming future restarts will be more normal.

Great work. Thanks to all for working it aggressively in the middle of the other higher priority fixes you all were working. Online Armor brought me here. Your fine product and terrific customer support has kept me here!

I imagine you've probably already noticed by now, but the fixes for the issue you were having were released in a stable update on Saturday (August 15th). Emsisoft Internet Security should have automatically updated, but you can manually check for updates to verify that.

Yes, as I said "After uninstalling and reinstalling I opted to wait for the stable build which works normally except for a lengthy 7 minute restart. I'm assuming future restarts will be more normal."

FWIW, I do notice my wifi connection hangs or drops occasionally after wakeup from normal sleep but not after putting the laptop to sleep and waking it up immediately. When it hangs or drops it seems to be a minute or so after wakeup after a page or two has loaded and then resumes normal operation another minute or so later if I'm patient enough to leave it alone. I'm not observing anything in the network and sharing center (such as the previous repetitive ID cycles) that tells me the connection is anything but stable but it does still occasionally hang or drop.

I didn't post on this quirky behavior because I haven't found a discernible pattern yet, but will continue to look for one.

Thanks again.

There are some known issues with sleep and hibernate modes. Does turning the firewall off and back on resolve the issue?

The one time I cycled the FW off the connection restored itself before I could turn the FW back on. A few times it couldn't find the DNS server so I had to disconnect and reconnect. Otherwise, most of the time being patient and doing nothing for a minute or so while it does whatever it's doing in the background and then loading a page brings the connection back to normal.

I thought it was interesting that the interrupted connection only seemed to occur if I intentionally left the laptop in sleep mode for extended periods not if I woke it up after only a few seconds of sleep but as I said earlier I'm still trying to find a repeatable pattern.

5641 just installed so I'll see if anything changed after update.

Whatever was triggering this quirky behavior seems to have stopped after processing the numerous updates Windows pushed out this week and after updating to EIS build 5461. I've tried to reproduce it after the 5461 update but everything worked normally. So it seems to be back to normal.

Thanks

Ah, yes, if you didn't have the latest version installed on Windows Vista then there where firewall related issues with EIS when starting up the computer and resuming from sleep/hibernate. They should have technically been fixed in 5631 as well, which was released on August 15th.