Exoz

Issue with Firewall and Utorrent

Hello, whenever I am downloading and EIS firewall is turned on, computer starts lagging very bad and the moment I turn it off, it goes back to normal. Is there a fix for this?

This should be fixed in Emsisoft Internet Security version 10.0.0.5532. May I ask what version you have installed? When you open Emsisoft Internet Security you can click on About in the gray box in the lower-right corner to see the version number.

If you want the version number to be displayed on the Overview screen when you open Emsisoft Internet Security, you can do the following:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • In the gray box that says License, hold your mouse over where it says Renew for free!.
  • A little X will appear to the right of where it says Renew for free!.
  • Click on the little X, and the version number will be shown instead.

According to our testing, that issue was fixed in 10.0.0.5532 (I personally tested it on several versions of Windows with the CPU usage never spiking above 3%). Could you let me know what torrents you are having this issue with? You can send a link to the torrent file, or the magnet URL, via a Private Message.

According to our testing, that issue was fixed in 10.0.0.5532 (I personally tested it on several versions of Windows with the CPU usage never spiking above 3%). Could you let me know what torrents you are having this issue with? You can send a link to the torrent file, or the magnet URL, via a Private Message.

For what it's worth, my experience matches that of Exoz. I've used build 5532, as well as preceding [and subsequent test] builds under Win7 x86. On the basis of multiple large (1 - 2 GB) torrent file downloads, I find that fast downloads, fed by many seeds and peers, drive total cpu usage (AMD Phenom X4 945 @3.0GHz) upwards to a range between 70 - 90% and remain in that range until the download completes, or until the download stalls temporarily. Slower downloads, fed by few and/or throttled seeds and peers, hover at lower cpu rates, but always above your reported 3%. Both uTorrent and Free Download Manager produce the same high cpu usage. During these downloads, I can do virtually nothing else -- even Solitaire stutters and falters. It's been like this ever since I switched a couple of months ago from Online Armor (which had its own problems in this department) to EIS.

The other day, as a comparison test, I installed a certain rival free Internet Security suite (whose name is not spoken in this Forum) on the same computer, only under Win 10 x64 (so the comparison is not entirely valid -- same hardware, different OS), and the cpu usage did not exceed 15%.

My own admittedly unscientifically based conclusion is that EIS still has some fixin' to do.

I tested with a Fedora Linux download that was around 600MB and had a lot of seeds. It downloaded in about 6 minutes, download speed bounced between 2.8 MB/s and 2.9 MB/s, and the CPU usage of a2service.exe hovered around 0% to 3% (never going above that). If you guys can give me some torrents that you can reliably reproduce the issue with, I'll go ahead and test with them, and see if I can reproduce the issue as well.

I assume that both of you are using 64-bit Windows 7? The issue could be 64-bit specific. I think I did my testing on 32-bit Windows 7 and Windows XP.

In redactor's case, we've been able to narrow it down to his VPN. When the VPN is connected, he experiences high CPU usage when µTorrent is downloading, but when the VPN is disconnected the CPU usage is very low when µTorrent is downloading.

Are the rest of you also using a VPN to download torrents?