Ciach0

Problem with Mezzmo, Firefox and GUI (separately)

Hi,

First of all, I would like to say that I'm pretty impressed of speed and responsivity of EIS v10. I'm using (along with my family and several friends after my recomendation) of your product since first beta version of previous version o EIS which was announced at Wilders forum, so I can see the difference.

But I've got some problems with Mezzmo and Firefox on my Windows 7 x64 computer.

1. Problem with Mezzmo

I'm using a DLNA software called Conceiva Mezzmo (version 4.1.3) with my TV (Samsung UE48h6400). Since update EIS to version 10.0.0.5532 I've got influental problem with using it. The TV doesn't see connection with Mezzmo. The only way to established that connection is turning the firewall off, wait a moment and turning firewall on. It is a real issue for me and my householders. Faced with this situation I have to give up with EIS for a while.

The rules for Mezzmo:

post-32862-0-40328400-1437596375_thumb.png
Download Image

2. Firefox.

It is a real small thing and hardly worth talking about, but I noticed the slow refresh of favorites icons with active firewall. This can be  observed with Bookmarks menu addon for Firefox. As far as I remember that issue was in v9 of EIS.

3. GUI

Sometimes GUI freezes. It can be observed in paricular after turning off and on a firewall.

Well, that will be all. Frankly speaking, the main reason of posting here is the problem with Mezzmo and other things I wrote on the occasion of this post.

For the Mezzmo issue, do you know what port it uses? If you do, then you can add a port rule in the firewall. Here's instructions for creating a firewall rule:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Protection.
  • Click on Firewall in the menu at the top.
  • Click the Add rule button near the lower-right.
  • Give the rule a name so that it is easy to identify what it does when looking through the list of firewall rules.
  • Make sure the Action is set to 'Allow'.
  • Set Direction to IN/OUT.
  • Set Protocol to TCP/UDP.
  • Enter your port number in the field for Ports.
  • Make sure that Addresses is set to All.
  • Click OK at the bottom to save your new firewall rule.
  • Click on your new firewall rule in the list to select it.
  • Click the Move up button to move your new firewall rule above the two block rules at the bottom of the list.

Edit: The issue with browser performance should be resolved in a future release. We're fairly certain we know what is causing it.

The GUI freezing can happen for a number of reasons. Other security software creating hooks to EIS processes, the firewall driver taking a few seconds to shut down, too many entries in the logs, etc.

Many thanks for a quick response.

Your solution for Mezzmo works fine !!!

When it comes to Firefox problem: great to hear that !!! I'll send a feedback after update to future realease when it will be ready.

Regarding to GUI problem: I don't have any other security software installed and stae of freezing is permament (I can wait a half an hour without unfreezing the GUI). It happened only after turning off the firewall.

But this is something to life with it.

We released a beta update on Thursday that should deal with the browser freezing issue. Here's instructions for installing beta updates if you'd like to try it:

• Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, select the option for Enable beta updates.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

OK. From what I've been told thus far, issues with Google Chrome appear to be resolved, so hopefully your issues with Firefox are better as well. ;)

Ok, sorry for delay, but I had a serious problems with accesing to my WIFI network since update a 26th of July. Nevertheless, the situation appears to be under control since last update at 30th. After the update, a new problem appeared: despite creation of Mezzmo rule at firewall rules I can't connect to my TV when uTorrent is running. 

P.S. Problem with Firefox still occurs, but it is a small thing.

I've tried a reinstallation of EIS as GT500 mentioned at one of another posts in this section. After a few hours of testing I can say that uTorrent is definitely a problem. Since the reinstall I can connect to my TV while a uTorrent is running, but I've got serious lags and slowdowns of internet connection. All of it is gone when I stop downloading/uploading uTorrent.

Do you use a VPN? There is a known issue with high CPU usage when torrenting while connected to a VPN.

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

It's possible that it's an issue with qBittorrent. A quick Google search shows a few complains about high CPU usage within the past year. Have you checked the Task Manager to see which processes have the highest CPU usage when it happens?

I was using uTorrent (old version 2.2.1 I suppose, because I'm far away from my computer). When issue appeard, I tried newest version of qBitrorrent and Bitcomet. The issue looks similiar with all those programs: without any torrent program, everything is fine. After a few minutes after launching one of them, download and upload speed constantly deacreasing, nearly to zero. When it happened, browsing of internet is almost impossible due to lags (even after close the working torrent program). That issue isn't affected with high cpu usage (normal values during download are 3-7 percent, checked with Process explorer and Task menager).

Lets try the latest beta version, and see if that has any effect on the issue. Here's what to do:

• Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, select the option for Enable beta updates.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

Update: unfortunately, after a few tests I can say that nothing has changed at newest beta. My download speed decreasing to 150-200 kB after a short moment of time.

I recover my partition image (the main differences beetween my current state of partition: EAM+SpyShelter Firewall instead of EIS and Windows Update till 13.06.2015) and everything is ok.

Ok, strange things happened. During my tests, I tried uninstall EAM with SSF and install EIS on my previous partition backup. The funny thing is that it works this time !!! Every problem that I mentioned in this topic ceased to exist. I don't even need a rule for Mezzmo in firewall rules. I suppose that something went wrong during previous reainstallation of EIS. At this moment, everything seems to be fine. 

However, I have a backup of partition (as an image at 08 August 2015) when all problems occured. I can do a debug log after restore that state of partition. If it be useful, please let me know.

It's possible that a settings file wasn't properly overwritten with a previous uninstall, and that's why you experienced the issue.

If you do experience similar issues again, the instructions you found for enabling debug logs will work fine. ;)