Hightower

Internet Connectiong Dropping on Vista

After auto-updating to version 10 recently my wireless connection to the internet frequently drops out during use or after sleep/hibernation. Vista's built-in diagnostic typically repairs the internet connection but typically reports it finds nothing wrong. Leaving the Network and Sharing window open indicates the network re-identifies every few minutes.

Version 10 builds up to and including today's 5532 typically drop the internet connection with the EIS firewall enabled until I diagnose and repair or disconnect and reconnect to the network. I've never been able to completely solve the Vista network re-identifying issue but haven't had these frequent network dropouts before the EIS 10 update and reboot. If I turn off the EIS firewall and enable windows built-in firewall the wireless dropouts stop even though Vista keeps re-identifying the network frequently. I  reset the global firewall rules to the EIS defaults when I first started having problems with version 10 but that had no effect on the internet dropouts with the EIS firewall enabled. The only thing I've found that stops the dropouts is to turn off the EIS firewall and turn on the windows firewall which has worked fine for the last several days including sleep/wakeup cycles.

I'm using Windows Vista and I'm having the same problem. Before the latest update my network was set to Public and everything worked fine. After the 5532 update I now have to set my network to Private or else the EIS firewall will block my internet connection. Setting my network to Private allows me to connect, however, the problem with this is that whenever Windows starts "Identifying" the network it temporarily switches to Public and my connection drops. The connection comes back again after it's finished "Identifying", but it's still a major headache.

This also causes me to lose connection after I wake my computer up from sleeping because windows will re-identify the network.

I should mention that with the windows firewall turned on and the EIS firewall turned off I have no problem maintaining my internet connection. As usual, windows will still re-identify the network from time to time, but I won't lose connection while it's doing it.

In short, whenever windows starts "Identifying" my network, Emsisoft's firewall causes my connection to drop. I seem to be having the same problem crasey is having.

I'm using Windows Vista and I'm having the same problem. Before the latest update my network was set to Public and everything worked fine. After the 5532 update I now have to set my network to Private or else the EIS firewall will block my internet connection. Setting my network to Private allows me to connect, however, the problem with this is that whenever Windows starts "Identifying" the network it temporarily switches to Public and my connection drops. The connection comes back again after it's finished "Identifying", but it's still a major headache.

Was your network set to "Public" in EIS, or in Windows? The settings can be different.

I tried uninstalling, rebooting several times and reinstalling. I'm able to use the EIS firewall with my network set to Public again, which is a small victory, however, I still lose connection everytime Windows starts "Identifying" the network.

... however, I still lose connection everytime Windows starts "Identifying" the network.

That happens because Windows is asking your DHCP server (usually your router or modem) for an IP address. I'm not sure why Windows would be doing that, since it had an IP address to begin with (networking/Internet doesn't work without an IP address).

As for Public network issues, I am trying to test those right now on Windows 7 x64, however I am not seeing any difference if I change the network to Private in EIS. I'll have to try changing the Windows setting, and see if that causes any difference.

That happens because Windows is asking your DHCP server (usually your router or modem) for an IP address. I'm not sure why Windows would be doing that, since it had an IP address to begin with...

Yeah, I'm not sure why Windows needs to reidentify the network, it's not something that just started happening, though. The only thing that's changed recently is ever since the update the EIS firewall now blocks my internet connection while it's happening.

When I was using the old 10.0.0.5409 build there were no conflicts with Emsisoft's firewall and the Windows "Identifying Network" process. I never would lose connection before so it didn't much matter whether Windows was identifying the network or not.

Thanks for looking into this by the way.

Our developers are thinking that this may be caused by something different than the issue in this topic, so I've moved our posts into a new topic. That should make things a little easier for our developers to follow while they are trying to debug this. ;)

Okay. No problem. The issues we're having are very similar, though.

It seems that when I first boot my laptop my connection remains stable. Windows doesn't try to identify the network and my connection doesn't drop.

The problem really starts after waking my computer up from sleeping. Windows begins identifying the network seemingly at random and it's during the "Identifying Network" process that my connection drops. Resetting my network adapter fixes the problem until I put my computer to sleep again.

The problem that I really have is that the EIS firewall now causes my connection to drop during the "Identifying Network" process. That wasn't the case before the 5532 update. I should mention that when I'm just using Windows' built in firewall my connection remains stable throughout the "Identifying" process.

Once again, thanks for looking into this. If there's anymore information you need just let me know.

No, this problem only starts to occur after I wake my computer from sleeping.

Is it reproducible 100% of the time when waking your computer from sleep? Does it also happen when your computer has been hibernating?

Is it reproducible 100% of the time when waking your computer from sleep? Does it also happen when your computer has been hibernating?

Yes, every time I wake my computer from sleep it happens. Unfortunately, I can't test what happens after hibernating because the laptop I'm using doesn't support hibernation.

I found somewhat of a workaround. If I disconnect and reconnect to my network and then disable and re-enable the EIS firewall it essentially solves the problem. My connection remains stable and I can put the computer to sleep and wake it up again without the "Identifying Network" problem occurring.

It's not exactly an ideal solution, but it does solve my problem.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to find a workaround.

I just skimmed through our posts above, and I don't think it was ever mentioned if you have 32-bit Windows Vista or 64-bit. Could you let me know which it is? It might help with reproducing the issue in testing if we know exactly what platform to test on.

I recently updated to the 5601 beta and it seems to have solved my problem. I no longer lose connection and everything works as it should when I wake my laptop from sleep. I read on Wilders that the latest update included some firewall fixes for Vista, so I'm assuming the update is what did the trick.

Thanks for working on this. If I have anymore problems I'll let you know, but it appears to be working fine now.

The latest stable update included some driver related updates for Vista that resolved the issue where applications would start to hang after about 20 programs had been opened. The 5601 beta includes a new firewall driver intended to add support for Windows 10, and shouldn't actually have any effect on the Windows Vista issues. Fortunately we do know what is causing the issue, and hopefully a real fix will be on its way soon. ;)