Without_A_Monitor

CLOSED EAM possibly causing Windows Vista to barely be functional

Last night, I updated my windows updates. I usually wait several days to find out about possible issues with the updates. After not finding any (might be a careless error of mine,) I decided to install the windows updates last night.

While in the process of downloading and installing the windows updates, Emsisoft Anti-Malware also installed an update that required a reboot because it contained updates for behavior blocker and other features for the program. Once my laptop restarted and booted back up, my laptop was barely functioning.

My laptop continued to hang and stall. When I tried to open a program, a web browser, or whatever, it would not open. If it did open, when I closed it, the process would still be showing in process explorer as if it were still running. I tried manually terminating the process in process explorer, but it had no effect. Moreover, I could not run anything on my laptop after that point. If I tried to open something after that point, nothing would happen.  My computer would be unresponsive.  I had to manually turn off my laptop by pressing the button on the side.

I am unsure what is causing the problem. It still persists. I can hardly use my laptop. I have done system restore several times, which seems to have fixed the issue each time; however, every time I do system restore, Emsisoft Anti-Malware updates with the one update that requires a system restart. Subsequently, my laptop reverts back to being hardly operable.

I am now just leaving my laptop on because if the I restart/turn off my computer, the update will autoinstall and the problem will surface.

Can anyone please assist me?

Edit:

I have turned my laptop off since I originally posted.  As a result, EAM updated once again with the system restart update.  Since then, my computer seems to be running fine, but when I open Chrome, Chrome starts to malfunction after a few minutes and/or will not close after I click out of it.  After that, I cannot run any more processes or open any more windows. 

I am still guessing that there is an issue with the update maybe.  I am probably going to use system restore once again to return to a point before the EAM update was installed to find out of Chrome functions without any problems.

I currently using a system restore point that is before my latest updates from Tuesday, July 14th.

Edit 2:

I was trying to use my laptop after the EAM system restart update was installed/updated, but the same aforesaid symptoms resurfaced.  I once again used system restore to a point before the EAM system restart update.  Thus far, I do not have any problems, including using Chrome.  I am thinking that it is becoming more evident that the problem somehow lies in the EAM system restart update or it causes the problem(s.)  Again, my laptop stalls and is hardly operable after the EAM system restart update is installed.

If someone could please help me, I would be most grateful.

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

We just published a beta update that should fix the issues you are experiencing. To get the beta update, please enable the "Enable beta updates" option under "Settings"/"Updates" and either perform a manual update or wait until the next auto-update takes place. You will have to reboot your system after the update is installed.

Please let us know if the update fixed the problem for you. Thanks :).

Thank you very much for the fix and the instructions on how to apply the fix, Fabian Wosar. I enabled the beta updates and attempted to restart my laptop, but it would not restart after the update was complete and needed a restart.  I had to do a manual turn off/on to finally have the installed update applied.  Thus far, the issues seem to be gone, but I will report if they return.

I also glanced at my FRST logs and noticed that I could use a fix list if some Emsisoft Support member would be kind enough to provide one for me.  I sincerely appreciate all of the help.  EAM is a superb program that I have recommended to numerous friends.  It is also great to find that the staff is so helpful and quick to reply. Thanks once again

Edit:

Do I need to leave the "beta" update selection checked (after the beta update installs?) I unchecked it after my I manually restarted my laptop and the system restart update was seemingly installed. Some time after, there was another system restart update, which caused the problems to return.

The FRST logs look OK to me. There's a few folders that may be left over from an old infection, however I don't think there's anything actually malicious on your computer.

As for Beta Updates, if you turn it off then Emsisoft Anti-Malware will uninstall the beta version, and downgrade to the latest stable version.

Thank you very much for the helpful reply, GT500.  In regards to the FRST logs, I suppose that I should have done research before making that statement about requesting a fix list.  I found that most of those entries with the "attention" beside them are because of Cryptoprevent (no?) If so, that's a relief.  I apologize for my noobishness.

Ah, yes. Thanks a lot for clarifying. Do you happen to have an idea if the update will become a stable update and non-beta at some point? In other words, should I just leave the beta box checked for how ever long until there is a stable update issued to fix the problem?

Just to post in case the problems return and I have trouble posting, EAM just downloaded another update and is requiring a system restart.  I still have beta updates enabled.  I'll post after the update to confirm the status of my laptop. 

Edit:

After installing the required system update and restarting my laptop, all seems well.

I found that most of those entries with the "attention" beside them are because of Cryptoprevent (no?)

That was my general assumption as well. They are group policies to prevent applications that appear to be pictures, Word documents, PDF's, etc. from running. It was created by a security software of some sort, and since CryptoPrevent creates group policies to try to prevent CryproLocker infections it makes sense that it is what did it.

Ah, yes. Thanks a lot for clarifying. Do you happen to have an idea if the update will become a stable update and non-beta at some point? In other words, should I just leave the beta box checked for how ever long until there is a stable update issued to fix the problem?

The beta update will be moved to stable as soon as we are sure that there are no new issues we need to fix due to the changes. You can turn Beta Updates off once that happens.

Just to post in case the problems return and I have trouble posting, EAM just downloaded another update and is requiring a system restart.  I still have beta updates enabled.  I'll post after the update to confirm the status of my laptop.

Yes, there was a new beta update on Wednesday to deal with a Windows XP and Vista related issue. Since a driver was updated, it required a computer restart.

That was my general assumption as well. They are group policies to prevent applications that appear to be pictures, Word documents, PDF's, etc. from running. It was created by a security software of some sort, and since CryptoPrevent creates group policies to try to prevent CryproLocker infections it makes sense that it is what did it.

A many thanks four double-checking for me. I apologize for not having researched that info before posting the logs. When I first viewed the entries in the log, I was thinking that it might be Cryptoprevent's enforcements, but I had never looked at an FRST log with Cryptoprevent present in the log and OS.

The beta update will be moved to stable as soon as we are sure that there are no new issues we need to fix due to the changes. You can turn Beta Updates off once that happens.

Ah. Much obliged for the info. I was guessing that that was the case, but I just thought that I should ask to verify.

Yes, there was a new beta update on Wednesday to deal with a Windows XP and Vista related issue. Since a driver was updated, it required a computer restart.

Thank you for confirming and explaining. There have been no issues for me, including after that system restart update.

Thanks for the feedback on the beta. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before it is moved to stable updates. ;)

I also had similar issues with my ancient Vista 64bit desktop PC which appear to have been resolved with yesterday's update.

After a period of time which could vary from a few minutes to an hour or so (am thinking it was related to EAM updating its' signatures), I would lose the ability to open programs and then close them with remnants remaining in memory.  Most troubling was that Task Manager and MS Process Manager were rendered useless even if I had them already running before the glitch took effect.

Unfortunately the rogue EAM update came at about the same time as a Windows Update and the addition of a USB3.0 card to my ancient PC.  Took a bit to work through.  Almost had a new PC on order! ;) (dang!!)

I've been running and repeating opening/closing various executables that seemed to trigger the issues and have been glitch free so far.

After reading the latest post, I just thought that I'd reply because EAM had a system restart update last night. Upon my laptop finishing rebooting, an EAM window popped up to indicate that there was a changelog. I read it. It stated that there were several fixes for both beta updates and stable updates that addressed problems like the one in this thread.

Additionally, if I read and understood the changelog correctly, it specified that if EAM installed and updated with the latest beta update, EAM could not be downgraded back to the stable update. If so, my question is if I can now uncheck beta updates from EAM or should I leave that checked still?

If you mean..

You cannot downgrade to 10.0.0.5561 stable after you’ve updated to this build, you will have to restore an image or reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security.

It applies to Emsisoft Internet Security only.

The info about not being able to roll back to stable doesn't apply to EAM.

I did happen to read that, but I wasn't sure about the specificity of the statement. Thank you very much for the clarification, stapp.

EDIT:

my question still remains if I can uncheck the beta updates or if I should still leave the box checked. Thanks as always in advance.