RichardBurt

IS 10, Surf Protection and adverts

I know SP is not an ad blocker but...

One of the many reasons I liked IS 9 was that the Surf Protection blocked so many adverts. In fact I didn't see any ads with it installed and activated.

Now, with IS 10, most ads are being blocked BUT I notice that Google ads are still getting through.

Has Emsisoft done a deal with Google to not block their adverts???

It doesn't look like we currently have any Google related domains in our Host Rules.

Do you know what domains used to be blocked? I can look into why they aren't blocked anymore.

Sorry GT500, I can't remember. You don't notice the ads are missing until they reappear!

The ads I'm seeing are all being served up from www.googleadservices.com and *appear* to be blocked by adding that domain to SP but they seem to sneak back through sometimes.

Man i was thinking it was only me who noticed that but it is true emsisoft isn't really blocking ads when using chrome but when i switch to ie it works, so i was wondering if Emsisoft & Google chrome are in cahoots together. & if you would like proof go to cnet with IE then go with Chrome & see the difference, plus what made me catch on to this problem fast is that  i'm using MVP Host File in Emsisoft Anti Malware & it really blocks more stuff when using IE then Chrome.

Thank you.

We do not block ads and networks, unless they are seen to be distributing malware. So, no we are not in cahoots with Google or anyone else.

We do not block ads and networks, unless they are seen to be distributing malware. So, no we are not in cahoots with Google or anyone else.

I think quite a few people would class Chrome as malware. Can you block it please? :D

I also have noticed that on some websites ads were able to be seen, while some were even able to open ads into a new tab as seen in the screenshot below.

Why not just use an extension/add-in to block ads? It would be a lot more effective than using Emsisoft Internet Security, since we never intended our Surf Protection to function as an ad blocker. Here's some popular ones:

Adblock Plus

AdGuard Adblock

AdBlock

Just to add, there is also uBlock Origin for Chrome (also available on Firefox). This blocks both ads and scripts, is lighter than Adblock Plus and has no whitelists (ABP has some whitelists for certain ads).

I think quite a few people would class Chrome as malware. Can you block it please? :D

Google Chrome is possibly the most popular browser in the world, so I am not sure why you would say it is malware.

That's funny, I don't have a single browser installed that uBlock supports. :lol:

I guess, if you use Chrome or Firefox, then uBlock would be just fine. ;)