dwstanch

Internet Security & Windows 10

Are there any indicators on when Internet Security will be up and running for Windows 10?

Give Emsisoft staffs a week or two so they can update the firewall core on Emsisoft Internet Security compatible for Windows 10. Other than that you can use Emsisoft Anti Malware as temporarily or Windows Defender. 

....and will Emsisoft extend EIS subscriptions by the period of time it takes for them to make the firewall usable again?

That's a great idea that i'm about to ask them as well, but you have to ask Emsisoft staffs about that. 

Thank you for your reply.  I have great faith in Emsisoft.  This is a hard bump but still, just a bump in the road.  When it runs ( I am smiling when I say that), I have full confidence in it.  And, when something untoward happens, the support framework and staff are unbeatable.   

"....and will Emsisoft extend EIS subscriptions by the period of time it takes for them to make the firewall usable again?"

Great idea to bring up as I was wondering the same thing.

"....and will Emsisoft extend EIS subscriptions by the period of time it takes for them to make the firewall usable again?"

Great idea to bring up as I was wondering the same thing.

Same here, i don't want to waste 7 days or more due to this down time. They should give us extended days as compensate. 

....and will Emsisoft extend EIS subscriptions by the period of time it takes for them to make the firewall usable again?

Let me check and see how our management wants us to handle this. ;)

It would be a really nice thing for Emsisoft management to do this.  We bought EIS because we wanted the additional firewall protection of a full security suite.  To make us burn days off our subscriptions while that protection is broken seems quite unfair.

• Upvote 1

Official word is, "yes". We will give free license extensions to anyone who upgraded to Windows 10 and was unable to use the firewall.

Once the issue has been resolved, please either submit a support ticket in our helpdesk system, or send a Private Message on the forums to me (English Support) or Thomas Ott (English/German Sales). Be sure to mention that you would like to have your license extended due to the Windows 10 issues and include in your message any license keys that were in use on a computer with Windows 10. Feel free to link to this forum post if you would like to.

Thanks, also do you have any status that when EIS up to go on Windows 10? 

Thanks, also do you have any status that when EIS up to go on Windows 10?

I don't expect it will be too much longer, however it's difficult to say for certain. I do know our developers are working very hard to get a beta ready for everyone as soon as possible. ;)

• Upvote 1

I don't expect it will be too much longer, however it's difficult to say for certain. I do know our developers are working very hard to get a beta ready for everyone as soon as possible. ;)

Looking forward to that.

Official word is, "yes". We will give free license extensions to anyone who upgraded to Windows 10 and was unable to use the firewall.

Once the issue has been resolved, please either submit a support ticket in our helpdesk system, or send a Private Message on the forums to me (English Support) or Thomas Ott (English/German Sales). Be sure to mention that you would like to have your license extended due to the Windows 10 issues and include in your message any license keys that were in use on a computer with Windows 10. Feel free to link to this forum post if you would like to.

Thank you.  Emsisoft really distinguished itself by doing this.

I am happy to say that Emsisoft Internet Security is fully up and running for me. However, I did have to enable the beta updates which I did at my own risk because as you can see, they do say, only do it if you can handle the problems that a not fully tested beta may cause but it is working for me on WIndows 10 64-bit.

OS    Windows 10 64-bit

CPU AMD 965 Black Edition

GPU Nvidia 660TI

Storage SSD 256 Crucial M550

Yes, we just published build 5601 via the beta update which adds full Windows 10 support for Emsisoft Internet Security. This build is still beta and you can't just go back to the stable version by disabling the beta updates option as you usually can. Instead you will have to reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security completely to go back to the stable version. So only opt into the beta if you know what you are doing.

• Upvote 1

Yes, we just published build 5601 via the beta update which adds full Windows 10 support for Emsisoft Internet Security. This build is still beta and you can't just go back to the stable version by disabling the beta updates option as you usually can. Instead you will have to reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security completely to go back to the stable version. So only opt into the beta if you know what you are doing.

Thanks for the update, and now i have to send my key to GT500 for extended days due to Windows 10 incompatible down time.

Actually the current version works fine with Windows 10. Have you actually tried?

I can see only limitations in the firewall part but this has been apparently now fixed with the latest beta (not tried yet)

So, since it is confirmed that EIS is not working with Windows 10 why no pre warning of this shortfall ? :angry:

Essentially because the current stable version was published before we realized that we wouldn't have Windows 10 compatible firewall drivers ready before Windows 10 was officially released. The only warning we were able to give was in an article on our blog, which you can find at this link.

Essentially because the current stable version was published before we realized that we wouldn't have Windows 10 compatible firewall drivers ready before Windows 10 was officially released. The only warning we were able to give was in an article on our blog, which you can find at this link.

EIS will not start after my W10 install. Cannot open from any file including original download. When I click onto original shortcut it say there is a component missing and sometimes a message box appears which says something like ...  A major problem prevented application from starting...  Restart...  

Same thing happens again after restart.

So the newest beta solves the FW problem?  If using the beta, will it require uninstall, when, it out of beta, or will the update correct from beta to non beta? 

I've uninstalled EIS (in win10) & I'm waiting, for the fix, how can I find check versions numbers here, so as to not be dl'ing the same ver.  Link to version or & beta? 

Any Idea when, EIS will be FULLY compatible with Win 10

If using the beta, will it require uninstall, when, it out of beta, or will the update correct from beta to non beta?

I have the same question :)

Right now, I have the beta installed, and everything seems to be running very smoothly. Good job Emsisoft developers!

On a side note: while browsing through all the firewall submenus to ensure that everything looks and behaves as it should

I noted that a 169.245.X.X IP address gets added to my private network (in addition to the expected 192.168.X.X address).

Is this safe ? A quick google search seems to indicate that this is a "link local" IP-adress that can somehow be assigned

during (or before) the DHCP autoconfiguration process.

So is my assumption correct that this is no bug or reason for concern and that this IP is indeed a "harmless" part of my local network ?

Thanks in advance!

post-37542-0-59401000-1438987169_thumb.png
Download Image

EIS will not start after my W10 install. Cannot open from any file including original download. When I click onto original shortcut it say there is a component missing and sometimes a message box appears which says something like ...  A major problem prevented application from starting...  Restart...  

Same thing happens again after restart.

Lets try the following, and see if it resolves the issue:

• Hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type in control netconnections and click OK.
  • Right-click on the network adapter, and select Properties.
  • Click on the Install button in the connection properties for the network adapter.
  • Click on Service to select it, and click Add.
  • Select the Emsisoft Network Filter from the list, and click OK.
If you don't see Emsisoft Network Filter in the list, then you will have to click on the Have disk button, and look for a file named fwndis in one of the following locations:

C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Internet Security

C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Internet Security

Once you find the fwndis file, just double-click on it, and then click the OK button. After that you should be able to find an Emsisoft Network Filter or Emsisoft NDIS Filter in the list, so you can click on it to select it, and then click OK.

So the newest beta solves the FW problem?  If using the beta, will it require uninstall, when, it out of beta, or will the update correct from beta to non beta?

Yes, the version 10.0.0.5601 beta includes fully Windows 10 compatible drivers for the firewall, so the firewall will work on Windows 10 after installing it.

When Beta Updates are turned on, stable updates will still be installed if they are newer than the latest beta version. Once the fix is included in a stable version you can simply disable Beta Updates if you don't want to continue to receive them, and no further action should be required.

I've uninstalled EIS (in win10) & I'm waiting, for the fix, how can I find check versions numbers here, so as to not be dl'ing the same ver.  Link to version or & beta?

We only have stable versions available for download, and you have to turn on Beta Updates in the update settings to get the beta version.

You can check what version will be installed by a particular copy of the installer by hovering your mouse over it until the tooltip pops up to give you more information, and it will have the version number in that information.

Any Idea when, EIS will be FULLY compatible with Win 10

That depends on the feedback we get. Normally if we get positive feedback, and no new issues are reported/found that need to be fixed before the beta version is moved to stable updates, then it can be released as a stable version quickly. We've done a lot of internal testing to try to make this beta as bug-free as possible, however the amount of changes makes it difficult to know for certain just how many issues will be reported or how quickly we can get the new version ready for stable release.

On a side note: while browsing through all the firewall submenus to ensure that everything looks and behaves as it should

I noted that a 169.245.X.X IP address gets added to my private network (in addition to the expected 192.168.X.X address).

Is this safe ? A quick google search seems to indicate that this is a "link local" IP-adress that can somehow be assigned

during (or before) the DHCP autoconfiguration process.

This could be your Internet Service Provider's IP address. You may want to check this list and see if you can find some information about the specific IP address you saw.

@GT500, i would say thank you to your team for update EIS compatible with Windows 10. Currently i find no issue at all, but i will keep my eye on it. 

When Beta Updates are turned on, stable updates will still be installed if they are newer than the latest beta version. Once the fix is included in a stable version you can simply disable Beta Updates if you don't want to continue to receive them, and no further action should be required.

Thank you for clarifying that.

This could be your Internet Service Provider's IP address. You may want to check this list and see if you can find some information about the specific IP address you saw.

Thanks for your reply. After doing a bit of more research, I have come to the conclusion hat this is indeed an auto-assigned link-local IP address

(for those interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address).It is not assigned at every Windows startup (i.e. it often is not

listed in the firewall's private network IP settings), so I figure that it only gets assigned whenever something goes wrong with the DHCP :P

Same problem here. Tried GT500's suggestion but after installing the firewall driver via the network adaptor's Properties dialog but the same error message about a component failing to start appeared. It's the same component dependency that failed - the firewall NDIS driver. Thanks for the suggestions though and glad to hear the beta is working as expected.

I'll check back each day for news of any updates - will these be posted to the blog?

GT500 - Thank You! 

You should call the stable version 10.0.0.5602 then the update will take care of itself.  Or if you name the stable version 10.0.0.5601, then it won't be installed on updating.  I'm sure you guys have already figured that out.

On one machine I just enabled beta, she re-booted & win10 & EIS are now happy!  If you name it .5602 I can now go turn beta off

Thanks again

Rico

Has the update come out yet? I had to carry out a reinstall for issues seprate from this problem just after 9:15 ET, and it shows the firewall is working fine. And no, beta updates aren't enabled.

Has the update come out yet? I had to carry out a reinstall for issues seprate from this problem just after 9:15 ET, and it shows the firewall is working fine. And no, beta updates aren't enabled.

There's a beta update already released 3 days ago for support Windows 10 firewall, but use it at your own risk because this is testing stage meaning things can go wrong anytime. 

I have/had a Win 10 machine, that EIS interface opened allowed, ticking of Beta Updates, rebooted & EIS FW & EIS work well.

My 2nd machine will not allow EIS to open, claiming dependncies missing, service won't start. 

The fix "BETA" does not exist as a FULL install, or no Installer yet exists, containing the fix.   

IMO - Emsisoft is taking too long, bringing out this new version, which supports WIN10 & EIS FW!  This web page stated the only, change made by the beta is the FW.  They could make a build contains FW fix.  This would satisfy allot of individual(s) like me with problems.  They state they are waiting for feedback, before making a build that has the fix.  Prior to the public release of WIN 10, Emsisoft should have been aware that a problem existed, therefor the clock, started ticking (time taken before, full installer version, with FW fix), from pre public release till, sometime in the future. 

In my case with a non functional EIS interface, & EIS complaining aboud dependencies, & service fail to start, the tray icon says, something like 'background only' while hovering over it.  I've asked with no response, is the AV portion working & updating while, EIS interface won't open & it's complaining?  No response!

Some communication by Emsisoft, tomorrow, another week, perhaps a month etc., and the fix will be available, would help calm, impatient users, like myself.  Not knowing if the AV portion is working or not, I had no choice but to uninstall EIS, & use an alternative AV.  Therefore Emsisoft should email to users (licensed), when the fix is available, as a FULL install + extend licesnse for all EIS users, without user intervention.

Same problem here. Tried GT500's suggestion but after installing the firewall driver via the network adaptor's Properties dialog but the same error message about a component failing to start appeared. It's the same component dependency that failed - the firewall NDIS driver. Thanks for the suggestions though and glad to hear the beta is working as expected.

You may want to do a fresh install, and see if that helps. Here's what to do:

• Uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Restart your computer twice.
  • Download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from this link.
Please note that you may have to go through the process detailed above to manually install the fwdnis driver before the service will start.

I'll check back each day for news of any updates - will these be posted to the blog?

We do have an RSS feed for the changeblog, so that you don't have to check manually:

http://changeblog.emsisoft.com/feed/

You should call the stable version 10.0.0.5602 then the update will take care of itself.  Or if you name the stable version 10.0.0.5601, then it won't be installed on updating.  I'm sure you guys have already figured that out.

Actually our updater works in such a way that even if we release updated components that have the same version number, the newer versions of the files will still be downloaded and installed. ;)

As far as I know the beta has not been released as a stable build yet. It is possible for Emsisoft Internet Security to appear to work fine without the 5601 beta installed, as the only real problem is that one if the firewall drivers isn't compatible and everything else technically should work fine.

My 2nd machine will not allow EIS to open, claiming dependncies missing, service won't start.

Lets try the following, and see if it resolves the issue:

• Hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type in control netconnections and click OK.
  • Right-click on the network adapter, and select Properties.
  • Click on the Install button in the connection properties for the network adapter.
  • Click on Service to select it, and click Add.
  • Select the Emsisoft Network Filter from the list, and click OK.
If you don't see Emsisoft Network Filter in the list, then you will have to click on the Have disk button, and look for a file named fwndis in one of the following locations:

C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Internet Security

C:\Program Files (x86)\Emsisoft Internet Security

Once you find the fwndis file, just double-click on it, and then click the OK button. After that you should be able to find an Emsisoft Network Filter or Emsisoft NDIS Filter in the list, so you can click on it to select it, and then click OK.

You may also want to try the following to manually start the service after installing the fwndis driver:

• Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard (the one with the Windows logo on it, usually between the Ctrl and Alt keys) and tap R to open the Run dialog.
  • Type in services.msc and click OK.
  • Find the Emsisoft Protection Service in the list.
  • Right-click on it and select Start.

I've asked with no response, is the AV portion working & updating while, EIS interface won't open & it's complaining

Not knowing if the AV portion is working or not, I had no choice but to uninstall EIS, & use an alternative AV.

Therefore Emsisoft should email to users (licensed), when the fix is available, as a FULL install + extend licesnse for all EIS users, without user intervention.

Again how about an ETA when the fully functional version is available???????????????????????

I've asked with no response, is the AV portion working & updating while, EIS interface won't open & it's complaining

No, the AV portion is not working and updating if EIS can't run.

Therefore Emsisoft should email to users (licensed), when the fix is available, as a FULL install + extend licesnse for all EIS users, without user intervention.

The problem only affects Windows 10 users. Since we do not spy on our customers, we have no idea who is running Windows 10 and who isn't. Therefore we can't reimburse Windows 10 users without them telling us that they are using Windows 10.

Again how about an ETA when the fully functional version is available???????????????????????

There are still a few bugs we need to fix before we feel comfortable releasing the current development version as a stable update to everyone. There will be at least one more beta release because of that.

I have a different problem with the beta of EIS in Windows 10. After a few days Windows Defender just turned itself back on. What should I do?

Update somehow it just turned itself off again...

I have a different problem with the beta of EIS in Windows 10. After a few days Windows Defender just turned itself back on. What should I do?

Update somehow it just turned itself off again...

Can you go to settings on Windows 10 and then go to Update & Security  and click on Windows Defender to confirm that the realtime protection, cloud protection, and sample submission are turn off? I have to turn off Windows Defender manually because for some reason Windows 10 doesn't recognize Emsisoft during installation. 

Can you go to settings on Windows 10 and then go to Update & Security  and click on Windows Defender to confirm that the realtime protection, cloud protection, and sample submission are turn off? I have to turn off Windows Defender manually because for some reason Windows 10 doesn't recognize Emsisoft during installation. 

You were right. They were all on.

As far as I know the beta has not been released as a stable build yet. It is possible for Emsisoft Internet Security to appear to work fine without the 5601 beta installed, as the only real problem is that one if the firewall drivers isn't compatible and everything else technically should work fine.

Please clarify for me: is the firewall active status im seeing a false reading?

I upgraded to Windows 10 when it was available. After the upgrade EIS stopped working. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it which solved the problem, everything was reading fine ever since (except the constant restart prompt on the latest beta). There was no indication of the firewall not working.

Reading this thread is disturbing me. Does this mean prior to the recent betas, EIS was falsely reporting that the firewall was working fine while it was not on at all? I remember having to allow programs through the firewall after the Windows upgrade.

That is a known problem of the Windows Defender right now. On some systems, no matter what AV software you are using, Windows Defender to refuses to disable itself or only disables itself for a small amount of time, even if another AV is installed. You can try this app to disable Windows Defender manually: http://winaero.com/blog/nodefender-disable-windows-defender-in-windows-10-with-few-clicks/

Please clarify for me: is the firewall active status im seeing a false reading?

That question is not easy to answer. In general, every firewall consists of 2 parts. One part is responsible for filtering applications accessing or accepting connections from the internet, which is why this part is often called an application filter. The second part is responsible for filtering packets that are received by your system that don't belong to a connection yet. That part is often called a packet filter. The application filtering part works on Windows 10 just as well as on any other system. The packet filter part however, does not. The biggest problem here is that Microsoft for some reason decided to drop support for the packet filter type we were using, without telling anyone late in the development cycle of Windows 10. Also, instead of outright returning an error that tells you "your driver is no longer supported", they also decided to return an "everything is okay, your driver is filtering everything just fine", when in reality none of the packets you are receiving end up at your driver. Why they decided to do that, is something only Microsoft can answer. But because the system essentially lies to EIS, telling it everything is okay, while in reality one part of the firewall is not functional, the EIS status will say that everything is fine as well.

The easiest way to figure out if your system has a fully functional packet filter is to just go Protection/Firewall/Manage networks. If you see your networks listed there, everything is okay. The packet filter is fully functional. This should be the case if you are running version version 5601. On previous versions you will find that under Windows 10 the list of networks is empty.