Sign in to follow this  
djkimmel

Internet connectivity problems with EIS 10 Windows Vista 64 SP2

I have Windows Vista 64-bit SP2 and since I've updated to EIS version 10 I keep having problems upon startup of getting connected to the Internet on my private home wireless network. I see others have similar problems. I've tried some of the possible options. I have already reinstalled EIS twice to be able to get back on the Internet since the last time I couldn't get on the Internet at all.

I got a message on running Windows network diagnose and repair it said:

The following policy might need to be adjusted to allow Windows to connect:
Policy Provider - Filter Name: Transport Inspect ALE Classify

I have no idea how to do anything about that. Last time it happened I was still using Online Armor and I had to stop using that. You guys gave me a change from my EAM/OA license to EIS at that time.

I usually have to turn off the EIS firewall, run diagnose and repair every time I reboot or boot up to be able to get on the Internet. Then I can turn the EIS firewall back on. When it starts showing this Transport Inspect ALE Classify error I can't get an Internet connection no matter what I try. I just have to uninstall EIS and reinstall it, and reboot.

I can't see any other settings or options to try to be able to use the Internet normally. I already reset factory default options, made sure the DHCP rule was above the other rule, and made sure my wireless connection is set to private. What else can be done so I can use EIS properly and get on the Internet without having to jump throw firewall, repair and uninstall/reinstall hoops? Thanks.

Does this issue only happen when you turn on your computer? Some users have mentioned that sleep mode causes this issue, and I would believe that hibernate mode does as well.

I don't use those features very often but it has happened a couple times when I've come out of hibernate too. If I leave a browser open in sleep mode it doesn't seem to happen some of the but other times I have had to shut off the firewall and start a browser, or run repair, or even reboot.

Today on boot up I had to shutdown the firewall, open a browser and then I could connect to the Internet. Then I turned the firewall back on. It has been working since then.

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

Unfortunately it looks like this is a bug in our firewall on Windows Vista. Our developers will look into why this is happening, and hopefully it won't take very long. ;)

FWIW the two things I discovered working through this with GT500 are the disconnect/reconnect is a faster way to reset my internet connection after sleep/hibernate/boot and resetting my laptop's power to always on for the hard drive limits the number of times I have to reset my network adapter due to the Vista bug Emsisoft's working on for a future update. The workaround is unfortunate but not so bad once I understood what triggered the conflict and how easily I could get around it by resetting the adapter rather than continually running diagnose and repair and waiting for windows to fix it.

For example, after restart for the 5561 update patch my internet connection was limited until I disconnected and reconnected. The connection stayed stable and reliable after that until sleep or restart requires another reset.

... The connection stayed stable and reliable after that until sleep or restart requires another reset.

Yes, and since the issue only appears to happen when the computer starts or resumes from sleep/hibernate we recommend avoiding shutting it down or using sleep/hibernate when it isn't necessary for now, just to prevent the issue from happening until we have a fix ready. ;)

I'm fairly certain that this is the issue that was fixed in a beta update later in the day on Tuesday. If you'd like to try that fix, then here's what to do:

• Open Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Click on Settings in the menu at the top.
  • Click on Updates in the menu at the top.
  • On the left, under Update Settings, select the option for Enable beta updates.
  • Click on the Update now button on the right side.

My Internet connectivity problem seems to be fixed with the latest updates.

EIS would not automatically update at first though so I had to shutdown the firewall to get it to update but since then it seems to be updating now without shutting down the firewall. I had one program (DivX) that wouldn't update through its own update process but I could manually download the update install program and do the upgrade that way.