jhr76

Problems with EIS firewall

Hi. I had been using Online Armor Free for years and I loved it, so I was dismayed to find out that it had been discontinued and that new installations (I had to reimage my computer) were being blocked. I also used (and liked) Emsisoft´s malware remover (scanner only) so I figured that a program that merged both programs couldn´t be bad. Apparently I was wrong.

The new program relegates the firewall options to a single (sparsely populated) tab and doesn´t allow you to control it properly. I used OA as a basic firewall, with the HIPS features off.

OA would prompt me whenever a program wanted to access the internet for the first time (and allowed me to remember the setting I selected) and afterwards whenever that program changed. The new firewall included in EIS allowed all but one program to access the internet without a single prompt.

The one program it asked whether it should allow or block was uTorrent. I clicked to allow and remember. A few minutes later it prompted me again, and again and again, until I shut the program down. At the time uTorrent was idle, no torrents had been added yet. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Is this a known issue? Is there a way to access more program options for the firewall component? Is there a free version of EIS just like there were limited free versions of OA and the malware remover?

Thanks a lot in advance.

By default EIS automatically allows all outbound traffic. This behavior can be changed from the Firewall rules by clicking on the Automatic rule settings button in the lower-right corner:

post-18745-0-96211500-1438862572_thumb.p
Download Image

Thanks for the reply. What about the issue with the firewall prompting me over and over about uTorrent even though I selected to allow all traffic from the program?

Also, is there a limited freeware version of EIS just like OA and the malware remover had?

Thanks again.

There is a freeware mode in EIS, however it doesn't have real-time protection (it's just a freeware scanner when in freeware mode).

If you open Emsisoft Internet Security and click on Protection, are you able to find µTorrent in the list? If so, double-click on it, and let me know what the setting for Firewall Incoming is. It should be on All allowed to suppress firewall alerts.

Hi. It is indeed on All allowed now that I reinstalled EIS (I had uninstalled after the issue with uTorrent) and so far I only received two prompts for the program (one for outgoing and one for incoming connections I think it was). I also modified the outgoing traffic behavior to "ask" as instructed in your previous reply. I will continue to use the program and will report if I encounter any further issues. Thanks a lot.