crasey

Green shield while protection is limited pending restart

I noticed this AM after my Vista 32-bit system downloaded the 5561 patch overnight with computer restart pending the EIS shield remained green while the Security Center was orange. Is this normal or should the tray icon also show partial protection? Help documentation makes me think the shield should be orange when protection is limited. Is a pending restart for a program update like this one different than the other issues that would trigger an orange shield?

If I weren't keeping my system running as a workaround for previously reported connection problems after sleep or restart I never would have been in a configuration with a restart pending for 12 hrs and likely never would have noticed the shield- Security Center mismatch.

post-20112-0-30667300-1438956521_thumb.jpg
Download Image

you're right with "shield should be orange when protection is limited." but in my opinion EIS ist still working completly after the update, if you wanna use the new version then you need to restart, but as long all 4 protection features are turned on, your computer is protected

Thank you. My working assumption was the shield remained green because the protection status doesn't actually change until the program updates are incorporated during restart despite what the activity bar and restart message were showing.

Unless this was some one-time glitch it appears the activity bar in the security center and the shield are setting their colors and messages on different information. Since the Help doc indicates they should be the same, the question for Emsisoft is whether the difference is by accident or design.

The shield didn't change color because protection was still active. Granted updates are not being installed when a restart is pending, but aside from that protection should function like normal.

Thank you. Sounds like the shield and the Security Center are using different criteria to display protection status. So when the Security Center and activity bar indicate partial protection due to a pending update of core components it's really not partial protection as long as the shield shows fully protected? If the shield is the more reliable indicator of current protection status  by design maybe a note in the documentation would help clear up any confusion for anyone else who encounters the conflict between them. Or perhaps only the activity bar should turn orange when a computer restart is pending for an update of program core components like the 5561 patch.

The color in the Overview for EIS changes for more reasons than the color of the System Tray icon. The System Tray icon only changes to warn you when protection is not on, and it should also change to let you know when the database hasn't been updated for more than 24 hours.