huge ram usage of system process with EAM on win 10

hi there, recently i upgraded my pc to windows 10, but i noticed that system process is taking a lot of ram while EAM is installed, am saying this because after i uninstall EAM the ram consumption when normal, but while EAM was installed ram was at almost 80%, i reinstalled the app twice just to make sure EAM was the problem and indeed the ram usage was normal when EAM was uninstalled, please i need help since i am with no AV at the moment. Also i have noticed that this problem is happening with others users....

Below are some captures of ram usage while EAM is installed and whe it is absent

pdt: this problem was present since first upgrade from windows 8.1, so the same settings that worked correctly on 8.1 caused problems on win 10, actually i did a clean install to avoid any conflict and the problem was still present.... memory optimization was always enabled, but no matter if this was on or off the problem still persist

post-34631-0-51496300-1439012831_thumb.png

post-34631-0-70532100-1439012836_thumb.png

post-34631-0-43447700-1439012842_thumb.png

post-34631-0-01135400-1439012847_thumb.png

post-34631-0-68755700-1439012851_thumb.png

The majority of RAM was being used by "System" and "Firefox". I'm not seeing Firefox on the list when the RAM usage appears lower. Did you have Firefox open when all three screenshots were taken, and did you have the same tabs open and extensions installed/enabled?

Also, based on memory usage, it doesn't look like your computer has a lot of RAM. I'm assuming only 1GB? Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 all ran best in at least 2GB, and I doubt Windows 10 is any different. Also, if you have 64-bit Windows 10, then 2GB is the minimum required amount of RAM.

firefox is expected to eat memory the point here is system process, with EAM installed system process eat about 500 mb and when EAM is gone this usage decrease to almost 50 mb or less and no, my pc runs 2 gb of ram and it is x86 based system. So EAM has something to do here... i dont think that is mere casuality that without emsisoft ram usage is normal

the reason why you see firefox in some screencaptures was because i thought firefox was the problem but believe me it has nothing to do with it

update: actually with firefox open system process eats 140 mb which is not normal, however with emsisoft this usage gets worse and goes to almost 500 mb, i think that it has something to do with how EAM (and firefox) deal with ram.

firefox open + emsisoft=500mb
only firefox open (emsisoft not installed)=120
on boot (no apps open) just emsisoft= 300 mb

here is a capture with firefox open as you see system process is about 90 mb so firefox i think has nothing to do with this high ram usage...

pdt: did you check the link i posted below?

post-34631-0-89808400-1439055009_thumb.png

It's not even clear what that memory value there represents and if it actually uses the same metric as it used in Windows 8.1. I suggest to use more advanced tools like Process Hacker for all comparisons as you can make sure you are actually comparing the same metric across different versions of Windows. I would suggest using the "Private Bytes" metric as it pretty much sums up the used memory the best as it does not double count memory that is shared between multiple processes.

yes indeed you are right but i cant link the problem directly to emsisoft itself, the only thing i know is that system process goes crazy (up to 500 mb of ram) when EAM is present but when it is gone this usage drops to a "normal" state, as for private memory usage, well i can give you a screenshot but it would be better if you look yourself inside my pc...

After further research it turns out that behind the memory usage increase is a new feature of Windows 10:

Memory Manager Improvements:

In Windows 10, we have added a new concept in the Memory Manager called a compression store, which is an in-memory collection of compressed pages. This means that when Memory Manager feels memory pressure, it will compress unused pages instead of writing them to disk. This reduces the amount of memory used per process, allowing Windows 10 to maintain more applications in physical memory at a time. This also helps provide better responsiveness across Windows 10. The compression store lives in the System process’s working set. Since the system process holds the store in memory, its working set grows larger exactly when memory is being made available for other processes. This is visible in Task Manager and the reason the System process appears to be consuming more memory than previous releases.

When you have the memory usage optimization enabled, we move memory to the page file, causing this new feature to jump in and instead of moving the memory to the page file compress it as store it within the working set of the system process.

• Upvote 1

After further research it turns out that behind the memory usage increase is a new feature of Windows 10:

When you have the memory usage optimization enabled, we move memory to the page file, causing this new feature to jump in and instead of moving the memory to the page file compress it as store it within the working set of the system process.

thanks Fabian, i also suspected this was the cause, well is a silly question, but, is there anything you can do to "fix" that?. This can be a problem with people that have less than 2gb of ram...

for me yes... because i use some apps at the same time, lets say netbeans and mozila and both eat ram, so imagine: system process:500mb/netbeans:300/mozila:300 so then my poor pc that has only 2gb of ram will be almost colapsed... almost always i face the problem that i reach 95% of ram usage, them i have to force memory dump to the DD to solve the issue and i dont like that...

Which is your personal problem though. Just because you don't like your memory to be used 95% doesn't mean that using 95% of your RAM to make sure your applications stay responsive isn't the right thing to do. In fact, I am pretty sure people want their RAM to be used as much as possible. Quite frankly the majority of your problems are most likely caused by your constant manual intervention into the Windows memory management by "forcing memory dumps".

In any case, you may want to contact Microsoft about a way to turn this behavior off.

not really, i only force memory dump only when ram reachs a critical 95% (less than 100 mb free) if i dont do this, then my pc gets unresponsive for a long time... my complain is just because with windows 8.1 this wasnt an issue i can use all my apps at the same time and even in this way ram usage was at a 80% not 95%, with windows 10 ram is always at 60 or 70% is there any sense to use an OS that leaves nothing to open? by the way did you read the first link i posted here?

http://malwaretips.com/threads/windows-10-taking-too-much-ram.49097/#post-417584