Cranfield

"dump" crashes and "unexpected shutdown".

About 10 weeks ago I upgarded from Emisoft Anti Malware to Emisoft Internet Security.

Soon after I started to experience "dump" crashes while using the PC and returning to find the "unexpected shutdown" messages from Microsoft.

I have made no other hardware or software changes.

Is there a known connection in these events and if so, what is the solution ?

All advice appreciated.

There's a handy app I've used for years called "whocrashed" which can be helpful in determining what driver/service/whatever caused a crash. It only works if you still have the minidumps or full memory dumps called when the system crashed.

hxxp://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed (there's a free version on their download page here: hxxp://www.resplendence.com/downloads)

Can you please upload one of the mini dumps of your crashes? Based on your profile it is likely that you overlook the warning that asked you to install a certain Windows 7 hotfix during the Emsisoft Internet Security installation which now causes the system to BSOD occassionally. The fastest way to confirm that would be to take a look at one of the mini dumps that was written during one said crash. You can find them in the C:\Windows\Minidump folder.

Its 6pm and the PC has been on all day with no crashes or unexpected shutdowns.

I went to C:\Windows\Minidump and it says, "this folder is empty".

I did nothing more than install the EIS download , I did not see any Windows 7 hotfix warning.

I am not sure what the reference to my profile means.

According to your user profile you filled out when you joined the forum, you are running Windows 7:

AV:Emisoft Anti Malware
    HIPS:Avast
    Other:Avast
Windows 7 does have a bug that can cause one of the Microsoft drivers to trigger a BSOD when our firewall is installed. Microsoft does offer a hotfix for that crash, but a lot of people just skip the step in the Emsisoft Internet Security setup wizard thinking nothing bad will happen. However, to confirm that we will need the mini dumps from your system.

Are you running some kind of system cleaner or optimizer like CCleaner on a regular basis? These tools have a tendency to delete crash dumps and that would explain why you don't have any. Disabling these cleaning tools, reinstalling EIS and waiting for the next crash to happen would be the best course of action in that case, so we can get a new dump of the crash.

I do use CCleaner on a daily basis.

I still do not recall any option to install a Hotfix, if it was a requirement for Win 7 users, then surely this should have been clearly stated, or the Hotfix included in the download package (not as an option).

When I download software I trust the manufacturer, I do not depart from their "recommendations", I do not have that kind of knowledge.

I will reinstall EIS tomorrow ( I have a lot of work to do tonight) and if/when it crashes I will post the mini dump info.

Thanks for The assistance.

Microsoft does not allow third party vendors to distribute their hot fixes unfortunately. That is why we only display a message with a link that explains where to obtain the hotfix:

https://helpdesk.emsisoft.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/159/0/why-does-an-installation-issue-kb2958399-not-installed-warning-appear-during-installation-of-emsisoft-internet-security

EIS reinstalled and the PC has been on all day with no crashes.

As I am 99.9% convinced EIS caused the crashes, I am going to uniunstall EIS, install the Hotfix and then reinstall EIS (which appears to be the approved process).

If it still crashes I will post a dump report.

The dialogue that accompanies the Hotfix download link seems designed to put you off downloading it.

Its a pity they don't state when the next Service Pack will include a fully tested "fix".

I am not sure wether to proceed with this.

How do you "test" a Hotfix ?

Edited version:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION : For your convenience, we put the hotfix that you

requested on an HTTP site. You can download the hotfix from this site without us

filling up your e-mail inbox.WARNING This hotfix has not undergone

full testing. Therefore, it is intended only for systems or computers that are

experiencing the exact problem that is described in the one or more Microsoft

Knowledge Base articles that are listed in "KB Article Numbers" field in the

table at the end of this e-mail message. If you are not sure whether any special

compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, we

encourage you to wait for the next service pack release. The service pack will

include a fully tested version of this fix. We understand that it can be

difficult to determine whether any compatibility or installation issues are

associated with a hotfix. If you want confirmation that this hotfix addresses

your specific problem, or if you want to confirm whether any special

compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, support

professionals in Customer Support Services can help you with that. For

information about how to contact support, copy the following link and then paste

it into your Web browser: ******************For

additional support options, please copy the following link and then paste it

into your Web browser***************************

Before you install this hotfix<BR>------------------------------<BR><BR>If you decide

to install this hotfix, please note the following items:

Do not deploy a hotfix in a production environment without first testing the hotfix.

Back up the system or the computer that will receive the hotfix before

you install the hotfix.

That is pretty much just the standard text. There won't be another service pack for Windows 7. So the chances of this fix ever making it to an official release are next to none. So far we haven't had any negative feedback about it. That being said, I understand if you don't feel comfortable installing it. In that case I am sure we can arrange a refund for you.

I appreciate the offer of the refund, but at the moment I like the product and will try the Hotfix.

I have downloaded the Hotfix zip.

"Welcome to the Microsoft Hotfix Self-Extrtactor . This page will unzip some files for your system", I hit "Continue".

"Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to" and it offers a box with "C:\" in it, I press "OK".

"All files were successfully unzipped".

Does this mean the Hotfix is installed, or do I need to try to find the file "C:\" and install it (if so, where might it be )?

I am sorry for what I appreciate are basic questions, but I am not very technically minded.

You still have to install the actual hotfix. If you did unpack it to C:\ it should be located in the root directory of your C drive. The file will be named Windows6.1-KB2958399-x64.msu or Windows6.1-KB2958399-x86.msu depending on whether you are using a 64bit or 32bit version of Windows. If you can't find the file it means the self extractor couldn't write to your C:\ directory, which is the case for a default installation of Windows. In that case run it again, but this time select a directory where you can write to to unpack to like your Desktop for example.

I selected Desktop as you suggested and have now installed the Hotfix, next I will install EIS and hopefully peace and tranquility will reign.

I do appreciate your help and patience, I wish I had the technical knowhow to be at ease when fiddling with my PC, but anything outside the norm can be very disconcerting for us Luddites. :) 

I selected Desktop as you suggested and have now installed the Hotfix, next I will install EIS and hopefully peace and tranquility will reign.

I do appreciate your help and patience, I wish I had the technical knowhow to be at ease when fiddling with my PC, but anything outside the norm can be very disconcerting for us Luddites. :)

In the off chance that you run into any other issues, you know where to find us :).