Lode

Reboot Time Much Longer After Update

Hi!

After the release update today (10.0.0.5631) restarting my Windows 8.1 takes 2 minutes and 50 seconds: almost 3 minutes. Before this update it took 55 seconds: less than a minute. That is including having everything displayed again on my  task bar. I have SDD.

I used a backup made yesterday and disabled automatic updates in EIS. But obviously I want to get the updates, only not this latest one.

With this latest update installed, during the restart the screen stays black for a long time, while an empty tray bar appears. On the left side of that it is black about 1 cm wide.

Is there a solution to this? Or will there be one?

I have the same problem. Windows 8.1 Home x64.

My boot time was 8 seconds before now it is 28 seconds. It sticks on the Windows login screen.

I also noticed my volume icon in the taskbar notification area is missing and I can't get it back, Windows says it is inactive.

What happened? :mad:

You mean 8 seconds with every icon appearing on your tray bar? I have 15 icons on the left side. And I mean 55 seconds from the moment I hit "Restart" so it has to go through the whole cycle. Not from starting up after it was shut down.

Until now I had never timed the latter. I just did: from the moment I press the manual start button to everything appearing on my tray bar: 28 seconds. Just like you have. Only that in my case it is without the latest EIS release update. 

If there is no solution -like keeping the previous version but with definition updates- I will think about other anti-malware software. Which would be too bad, as EIS is excellent, and I still have 381 days left on my multi-year license. 

I hope the EIS team can make my reboot time as it was before -or close to it... with EIS installed on my notebook.

My PC takes 3 seconds to shutdown when hitting restart and 8 seconds to boot so 11 seconds in total then. I just timed it now (restart) and it took 39 seconds, that's really long for me.

I don't get what is going on with Emsisoft, first Windows 10, then a Vista problem and now a Windows 8.1 problem. How long will this take to solve? Other people I know who use EIS have got the same problem. :(

So your machine as faster than mine. 

I was used to 5 minutes reboots (complete cycle) on my previous notebook with normal hard disk. So this HP Elitebook 850 G1 (Core i5) with SSD is superfast for me.

Maybe we're getting jaded...  :blush:

Since my EIS icon is now greyed out for having automatic updates turned off, I just installed what according to AV-Comaparatives came out as best so far this year. And that one is for free too.  :D

Although EIS is also in the top there.

I'll keep EIS installed for now, and see if the team does something about this. Checking back here now and then.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no luck, I even installed on a fresh Windows 8.1 system and no luck, so something is broken in EIS again. I'm going to have to ask for a refund I think as this is becoming unreliable and unsafe, since Windows 10 released it's been a headache.

After I saw some YouTube clips about Windows 10 I was glad to find this:

"How to stop the Windows 10 Upgrade from downloading on your system"

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-stop-windows-10-upgrade-downloading-your-system

I've had Windows 8.1 for a year now, using StartIsBack so it looks much like Windows 7. It still took me over a whole day's work to get everything set to my liking. I'm not about to start that again with Windows 10...  plus that OS has too many whistles and bells for my taste. It can still be downloaded-installed for free for a whole year anyway. So no hurry for me.

I just saw that Microsoft support for Windows 8.1 will be until October 1 2023.   :)

I just tried to replicate your issues but unfortunately haven't had any luck so far. Any chance you can create a boot trace for us so we can see a proper breakdown of how long each step of the boot takes and what consumes the most performance during each phase? Thanks.

Thank you much Fabian. 

I don't know what a boot trace is, let alone how to create one.  :blush:

I just looked it up, but it looks a bit complicated: http://tinyurl.com/obdostg

Maybe someone else with more PC knowledge than I can volunteer...   :D

If not I'm willing to try. Maybe tomorrow or the day after.

I have to agree that the update today (getting updated from the last stable to the one released today 10.0.0.5631) didn't went as smooth as before:

1. EAM (not EIS as in your reports) updated after I turned the PC on and I saw the message on the lower right.
  2. Then I noticed the shield stayed orange so I opened EAM and saw "Surf Protection" and "Behaviour Blocking" being disabled. I tried to re-enable both but that didn't work (the application didn't freeze and was still usable, it simply didn't do anything after clicking).
  3. So I thought "Ok, usually EAM needs a reboot if some dll/exe get updated, so let's just try that." But after I clicked on rebooting (through the start menu) nothing happend.
  4. "Guess something, maybe EAM, is using up most CPU ressources, let's check task manager." Tried that but the task manager didn't want to come up. Which sort of indicates something's ****** up and blocking up some queue in the system.
  5. So I went on and hard reset the system.
  6. The next reboot took way longer than usual (about 3min, before it was much faster).
  7. Next strange thing: HitmanPro.Alert didn't show up anymore on the systray. Usually it was one of the first icons to appear with EAM usually only appearing about 10s after the taskbar appears. HitmanPro.Alert was still loaded (two processes running and the service started), I also could open the GUI by manually executing "hmpalert.exe" from it's installation directory. The last update of HitmanPro.Alert was on July 7th btw.
  8. "So how about another reboot?" Same situation: Slower boot time and the icon of HitmanPro.Alert still won't show up.
  9. So I shut down (not reboot) the computer after reading this thread to measure the time it takes to boot. Suddenly the HitmanPro.Alert icon does show up again and the boot time is around 45s (~28s till I see the desktop, including entering the password) with all icons loaded and no more spinning circle-cursor.

I can't actually say if the boot time atm is still slower than before the 10.0.0.5631 update since I didn't measure the time then.

I don't want to pinpoint this issue to HitmanPro.Alert but maybe some changes in the EAM update did introduce incompatibilities with it.

@Lode: It's not that difficult actually:

• Download the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) (only if you're using Windows 8.1)
  • You need the Windows Performance Tools (WPT) which is part of the SDK, so during the installation only pick this one. (The installation should look mostly like this.)
  • Make sure to reboot afterwards and then use this guide to create a boot trace. Yes, that's a huge post but actually you only need the first few paragraphs: You simply open an elevated command prompt and enter the first command mentioned on that post. This will shutdown and reboot your system. You have to wait for the countdown to finish.
  • Inside the "C:\TEMP" folder you should now find an "etl"-file which you can share with Fabian so he can analyse it.

I just made a backup of how things are on my notebook now. EIS is on it, updates disabled.

I had to look up how to open command prompt. I guess typing in my start search bar "cmd" will do. (Without " marks of course.) Unless elevated is something else. My screen looks like Windows 7  thanks to StartIsBack, even though my OS is 8.1. 

I will enable EIS updates now, let it update, and try to follow your indications.

Thank you much.

Before you create the trace, you can also just turn off all the guards and see if boot time is back to normal. After that turn them on one at a time and reboot and see if there is a huge impact when enabling a particular component. May be easier than doing the trace right away :).

I see 3 items after I type in C:\TEMP in my Start search bar. One is a cabinet file (1), then a Windows Performance file (2), and a text document (3). They are all related to the SDK. I checked only the Windows Performance Tool for downloading.

I guess what Fabian needs is the second one. 

I get a message saying that the file is too big to upload. The file is 582.656 KB. I tried the basic and advanced upload options.

All the EIS protection was turned off (Red Bar) but the reboot was still about 3 min.

:excl:   Fabian, I'll senf the file as an attachmnent to Contact.

Thank you Fabian. I was able to send it to you as a zip file using the service you mailed me about as you probably already know.

It's getting late here: 1:30 AM. Tomorrow -actually today already- is another day. Going to sleep now.  :)

Thanks. I have already taken a look at your trace. For some reason the moment explorer.exe starts the system just stands still for almost exactly 2 minutes before it continues booting. I also noticed that the service is started multiple times. Can you please check your Windows Event Logs for any errors reported during the boot? You can get to the Event Viewer by pressing your Windows key and your X key at the same time and selecting "Event Viewer". Then check the Application, Security and System logs under Windows Logs.

I see many Errors and some Warnings under Applications.

Under Security there are 3 audit failures on 1-8-2015. Since then all Audit Success.

System Logs gives Errors and Warnings. Among the Errors: 

"The Emsisoft Protection Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified." 16-8-2015 00:44:52 Service Control Manager Event ID 7000.

I guess that was after I disabled all protection.

There are errors on 13-8-2015 and before, but none on 14-8-2015. They are not Emsisoft errors it looks like.

:excl:  But how do I find errors occurred during boot?

PS:

To avoid the 3 min. boot and have my 1 min. boot back I removed EIS. And if no one else has this specific issue, I feel you don't have to spend time to solve it just for me. I'm very fine with the free anti-malware I installed yesterday after I set EIS not to update anymore.

It might be something particular only to my system setup. If you get messages from others concerning this issue, then of course it is important. But I'm fine.

I still have the issue and if I install on a seperate machine that has the issue too, so do two other people I know who use EIS (Windows 8.1). I tried disabling each EIS component one by one and disabling start up items one by one, but no change. Unfortunetely I've uninstalled EIS and am using something else in the mean time so I can't help diagnose the problem, it's the third issue I've had in two weeks now due to updates, I can only assume you're struggling with Windows 10 development since the only added feature in this update was Windows 10 firewall support.

I did notice that if I switch to a different Windows user the volume icon in the notification area comes back, Windows has no trouble switching users, takes about 2 or 3 seconds, only at startup does the problem occur (stuck at login screen for about 30 seconds).

Ellie, a few quick tips you might like:

HitmanPro is good as a second opinion scanner, but now there is also herdProtect. It is free, and utilizes 68 scan engines. 

I used the Online Armor firewal for many years until I heard a while ago that it will be discontinued next year. I had EAM next to it, but switched to EIS which has the firewall integrated.

But I was missing the Online Armor status monitor on which you can see all connections and amount of data coming in and going out in graphics. Until I found the free GlassWire. 

f.lux adjusts the brightness of your screen: during the day full bright, at night dimmed. You can adjust the dimmer settings to more or less bright, and set it to change in 20 seconds or to an hour at sunset and sunup, to change fast or slow gradually. It coordinates with your location.

(My excuses for slipping this one in, dear Emsisoft. I know it's not on topic, and won't do it again.)

I still have the issue and if I install on a seperate machine that has the issue too, so do two other people I know who use EIS (Windows 8.1). I tried disabling each EIS component one by one and disabling start up items one by one, but no change. Unfortunetely I've uninstalled EIS and am using something else in the mean time so I can't help diagnose the problem, it's the third issue I've had in two weeks now due to updates, I can only assume you're struggling with Windows 10 development since the only added feature in this update was Windows 10 firewall support.

There are a whole bunch of additional changes for all Windows versions since Vista. They are kind of tucked away into the "improved network performance" bit of the change log. In fact, given the boot traces I have seen so far, it is extremely unlikely that the error is related to Windows 10 support at all.

I reinstalled to give it another go. I took a look at event viewer after a reboot and noticed two errors.

Event 7000, Service Control Manager.

The Emsisoft Protection Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Event 7009, Service Control Manager

A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Emsisoft Protection Service service to connect.

30000 miliseconds = 30 seconds, exactly the time it takes to login on boot for me with this EIS update.

Any chance you can turn on debug logs and perform a reboot with debug logs on? Instructions on how to enable debug logs can be found here:

http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/14699-how-to-configure-emsisoft-anti-malware-and-emsisoft-internet-security-debug-logs/

That would give us an idea what the service is doing during those 30 seconds. You can send the logs to [email protected] Make sure to disable the debug logs after you collected them, as they can grow rather large rather quickly otherwise.

We isolated the issue and released a new build via beta updates that should fix it. Would you please enable the "Enable beta updates" option under Settings/Updates and update to the current beta release to see if the problem still occurs?

Yep, you got it fixed. The 30s wait is gone and "a2service.exe" doesn't run into a timeout. Looks like everythings back to normal. (At least over here.)

Awesome customer service on a weekend! smile.png

post-1326-0-00225900-1439730384_thumb.png
Download Image

I was watching a movie, and when it was finished though of checking in here again. See if there were any new posts.

Marvelous surprise! :)  

I quickly downloaded and installed EIS again> stuck a USB stick in my notebook > copied the license > pasted it in the EIS box > switched on Beta >  hit Update > Restart... my desktop seemed to be back shining at me even faster than before the issue began....   :D

Congratulations! 

And Thank you!

♥  :wub:

Thank you.

Not sure if I should disable beta updates. I don't mind playing guinea pig for Emsisoft. :D

The 2 most important safety measures next to EIS I utilize are Sandboxie and backups. Backups have saved me probably weeks of work by now. 

I remember after some software mishaps -or erroneous changes I myself made- I didn't know how to solve, I would be re-formatting and spending 2 days or more downloading-installing and setting it all to my liking again. That was before I discovered backups many years ago. What took me 2.5 days work then takes 25 minutes now by letting the backup do the work of restoring my machine to how it was before the difficulty arose.   :)

This freebie has worked fine for me on Windows 8.1 and it also works on Windows 7 and 10: http://www.backup-utility.com/download-for-win7.html

For Windows XP and Vista users there is a link lower on that page. Their help desk has been as friendly and effective as Emsisoft's to me when I had a question once.

Hi Fabian,

the same issue has returned after the last update which required a reboot.

I've used the latest System Restore point made a few days ago, and un-ticked Automatic Updates for EIS.

Hello to all. This is my first post to the forum. I have been a satisfied Emsisoft customer for over a year now.

I had the same problem with Lode two weeks ago, I read this forum post and with the beta updates the problem disappeared. But after today's update which required a reboot the problem reappeared. Slow boot time, two event viewer errors, no sound icon or remove USB icon on taskbar... If you could fix it again, please? And if you could something so it doesn't reappear after some program updates? Thanks.

Disable beta updates please. We decided to push a new beta version that still has the same error, but we need the additional feedback and decided that blocking all progress until the Windows 8.1 specific problem is fixed isn't worth delaying the beta further.

Disabling the beta updates worked like a charm for me! Thanks a lot, Fabian. Regarding feedback, I have Windows 8 x64 installed on my PC. So, I guess the problem impacts windows 8 as well as 8.1. Once again, thanks!

Cheers!

I had posted above: "Not sure if I should disable beta updates. I don't mind playing guinea pig for Emsisoft.  :D."

For now I will disable beta updates. I'm sure about that.   :)