JeremyNicoll

Do home users here set up their networks as 'Private' or 'Public'?

In topic: http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/17756-internet-connection-keeps-dropping/   the OP was asked whether Windows thinks their network is set up as a private or public one, and pointed at some advice at: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/choosing-network-location#1TC=windows-vista

I'm wondering what most people here do.  In theory I either live alone, using a wired-only network, or have also have friends to stay in which case they may use a wired connection (eg for a desktop machine) but may also wifi, perhaps via an access point cabled into my network.  While I trust my friends not to intentionally try to break my network, not all of these people are technically aware, and - worse - I know nothing of the motivations or skills of their friends... who might be in my house using any sort of wifi device...

It's always seemed to me better that I tell Windows that my network is a Public one; I think this may also mean that if & when I use my laptop outside my home, either on some other friend's own network or in a genuinely public place like a coffee shop, my programs will behave in the way that I'm already used to from what happens at home.

In other words, I wouldn't define a network as Private unless I was certain I'd be the only person using it.  And even then... I'd need to be sure that I wouldn't make a mistake on one of the attached computers (or be running some old and insecure OS on one and forget the implications of that). 

So, what do other people do, and why?

I have a setup where I have two desktops, that are wired into the router.  I make that network Private

I also have wifi on it for a laptop, and that is public.

Finally I have a version hotstop where the computer connection to it is secured, and from there into the cell phone system.  That also is  public

Pete

That's an interesting question. When set to Public, EIS will block things it won't when the network is set to Private, which would certainly give you added security if you needed it. Obviously in a hotel or other places with public networks, you'll want the network set up as a 'Public' network, however if you don't necessarily feel that others in your home/business are going to use the network safely then it is understandable to also want that extra security.

Peter2150 - is the reason for the laptop, used at home on your own network albeit by wifi, being classed as a public network, that you (like I'm doing) want that machine to behave the same way when you use it elsewhere, or is it because you don't trust the security of your home wifi network?   Or that you wonder if someone else could make a connection via wifi to your laptop even when it's in use at home?  Or something else?

Peter2150 - is the reason for the laptop, used at home on your own network albeit by wifi, being classed as a public network, that you (like I'm doing) want that machine to behave the same way when you use it elsewhere, or is it because you don't trust the security of your home wifi network?   Or that you wonder if someone else could make a connection via wifi to your laptop even when it's in use at home?  Or something else?

I am afraid it's the something else.   I just don't want another cable lying around.  High tech reason, eh?

ROFL.   You asked a logical question, and I realized what I was going to answer made no sense, so I decided to go back and look.  Turns out both my wireless connections, both to the router and the hotspot are indeed Private Networks, as they both are encrypted.

Sorry for the confusion.

Pete

On my desktop PC (wired), I have the firewall set to private as I trust every device on that segment of my network. I segregate trusted wlan traffic onto its own vlan, and then guest wifi is on a different vlan from that.  If I had a laptop connected to a public wifi hotspot, I'd use a vpn and my vpn interface would be classified as public because it's an untrusted network.

... the hotspot are indeed Private Networks, as they both are encrypted.

I would certainly hope your wireless connections are encrypted. ;)