iWarren

Issues with Firewall after Update

After updating to 10.0.0.5641

i have had lots of firewall issues

To start out, all of my previously applied application firewall rules did not work.

I had to delete my application entries manually and re-apply firewall settings.

Eventually I just reset everything to factory defaults.

Then i set the firewall settings to prompt me to allow firewall settings.

When it would prompt me to allow a port, sometimes i'd go to create a "custom rule" (bottom button)

and when I tried to apply it, the prompt window would not close and caused an application hang.

I've had to restart dozens of times because of these application hangs.

After that, a2start.exe failed to accept any more custom rule changes, and would require a restart to work again.

another problem... i would allow a port, and then block 0-65535 underneath it.

for some reason, this somehow blocked the port i was allowing, and would only work if i removed the 0-65535

(which leads me to believe it might not be completely blocking everything now)

keep in mind, i had absolutely no issues with any of these settings prior to these updates.

am i the only one having these sort of problems?

I find it frustrating because, i'm spending a great deal of time troubleshooting and reapplying my rules

due to these past 2 months of updates.

Lets get a log from FRST, and see if it shows the cause of the issue. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) from one of the following links, and save it to your Desktop (please note that some web browsers will automatically save all downloads in your Downloads folder, so in those cases please move the download to your desktop):

For 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows:

For 64-bit (x64) editions of Windows:Note: You need to run the version compatible with your computer. If you are not sure which version applies to your computer, then download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your computer, and that will be the right version.
  • Run the FRST download that works on your computer (for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 please right-click on the file and select Run as administrator).
  • When the tool opens click Yes for the disclaimer in order to continue using FRST.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When the scan is done, it will save a log as a Text Document named FRST in the same place the tool was run from (if you had saved FRST on your desktop, then the FRST log will be saved there).
  • Please attach the FRST log file to a reply using the More Reply Options button to the lower-right of where you type in your reply to access the attachment controls.
  • The first time the FRST tool is run it saves another log (a Text Document named Addition - also located in the same place as the FRST tool was run from). Please also attach that log file along with the FRST log file to your reply.

One of the firewall drivers is missing. Lets try the following, and see if that resolves the issue:

• Uninstall Emsisoft Internet Security.
  • Restart your computer twice.
  • Download and reinstall Emsisoft Internet Security from this link.

thanks for taking the time to identify the issue,

could you tell me which firewall driver is missing,

also.. do you have an idea how this could have happened?

it only happened after i updated.

i did as you asked, uninstalled, restarted twice, installed from provided link.

If you could tell me what driver i should be looking for, maybe i can see if its present now.

I am noticing though, I can no longer block ports 0-65535 without it overriding the rule above and blocking everything.

for example allowing ports 80, 443 on firefox and then blocking ports 0-65535 below that rule... is also blocking 80, 443.

is this something new from the update? or is there still a problem somewhere?

I am seeing FWNDIS_LWF and fwwfp in the FRST log, but I don't see EfwTdiFlt in the log. The files are probably all there, but the service to run the driver is missing.

Let me verify with one of our developers whether or not the most recent update would have effected the firewall rule you mentioned.

I've been able to reproduce the issue you reported, and have sent debug logs to one of our developers.

hey that's great you were able to reproduce the issue,

After the install, i searched again for 'EfwTdiFlt' and could not locate the service or the file itself.

checked the "emsisoft internet security" folder as well as windows/drivers and Registry.

are you positive that is a necessary file?

at any rate, you identified the firewall issue, so that's something.

One of our developers told me that driver is no longer being installed on Windows Vista and newer, so it shouldn't be there.

Unfortunately we don't have ETA's for fixes or new releases, but our developers will try to get it fixed as soon as they can.